CX-5 Tapping noise

Jack Rabbit

Banned
:
18 Mazda CX5 AW
Ok. Engine has been making noise for some time now. Indy mechanic last year said its just injectors. Took to dealer last year to have whole car checked out and said check the engine for any problems, especially cracked cylinder head. Vocally mentioned the sound and was told it's the injectors. They had the vehicle and heard it running.

I usually jump in my car and startup and then drive.

So today, while checking the brakes, left vehicle idling to go get my wheelchocks, and heard this from 60 feet away.

Sure sounds like the valves to me.

Also if you listen you can hear both the injectors clicking but you can also hear the tapping noise.

And it hasn't thrown any engine related codes.

Any opinions?
Lifters, HLA's or injectors ???
Thanks.

Last edited:
Macker:

So I understand, they only replaced the 8 switchable HLA's and your CX-5 sounds fine now ?
No noise or problems in the past month?

Thanks again for all you input on this.
JR, sorry for the late reply. Was enjoying some sun in the southern Caribbean. :)

So far so good on the noise side. Car is MUCH quieter since they replaced the 8 HLA's and we've continued to have cold weather up here, so a good test.

Upvote 0
So far so good on the noise side. Car is MUCH quieter since they replaced the 8 HLA's and we've continued to have cold weather up here, so a good test.
Although it can never become a certainty, every day that goes by noise-free makes it a bit more probable that the redesigned HLAs have resolved the air bubble problem (y)

Upvote 0
Although it can never become a certainty, every day that goes by noise-free makes it a bit more probable that the redesigned HLAs have resolved the air bubble problem (y)
Agreed, time will be the ultimate test.

I do like the vehicle as you get a lot of bang for your buck, but this experience of the HLA's requiring replacement, along with the timing cover and water pump leaks at just over 53K kms. is concerning.

I have a 3rd party warranty to cover me out to 2026, but considering selling the vehicle now and purchasing a late model used Lincoln Nautilus with the 2.7L twin turbo. Our 13 Lincoln MKX with the 3.7L has been a solid vehicle.

Upvote 0
Sad to report that the engine tapping noise has returned on my CX-5. Very disappointing. Almost time for an oil change (oil level shows about half way between the two holes in the dip stick) so I'm going to do that tomorrow or Saturday and see if that makes any difference (kinda doubting it). If not, I may have to take the car back into the dealer to have them check it out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sad to report that the engine tapping noise has returned on my CX-5. Very disappointing. Almost time for an oil change (oil level shows about half way between the two holes in the dip stick) so I'm going to do that tomorrow or Saturday and see if that makes any difference (kinda doubting it). If not, I may have to take the car back into the dealer to have them check it out.

View attachment 322569
That’s unfortunate.

Don’t change the oil or anything yet by yourself trying to fix the tapping noise. Let the dealer hear the tapping noise first and ask them what they can do to fix the problem.

You can call Mazda North American Operations and ask the same question.

Upvote 0
That’s unfortunate.

Don’t change the oil or anything yet by yourself trying to fix the tapping noise. Let the dealer hear the tapping noise first and ask them what they can do to fix the problem.

You can call Mazda North American Operations and ask the same question.
$180 just to take it in to have them listen to it. Who knows where we go from there. Mazda warranty has expired, but I do have a 3rd party warranty that I purchased from the Mazda dealer who sold me the car (used).

Upvote 0

I wanted to mention this Service Alert, according to Mazda, this tapping noise can be heard for several reasons, besides the HLA, that might apply or not in your situation, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try the bleeding procedure they mention in this Service Alert:

SA-026/23

Upvote 0
I wanted to mention this Service Alert, according to Mazda, this tapping noise can be heard for several reasons, besides the HLA, that might apply or not in your situation, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to try the bleeding procedure they mention in this Service Alert:

SA-026/23
Thanks for this. Looks like it applies to newer vehicles, but the procedure is simple and worth a shot to see if it quiets things down.

Upvote 0
Very disappointing indeed, and unfortunately proves that the 'redesigned' switchable HLAs is not the hoped-for silver bullet to the ticking, 'air bubble' problem. And IMO it would be a waste of your time and money to go back to the dealer with this issue again.

What can they do at the point? They replaced all of the switchable HLAs, and Mazda has not indicated any 'version 3 of these HLAs . And you most certainly would not want to try another round of his same'fix' on your dime (which would actually be more like $2K or so).

However, I agree about trying the air bleeding procedure, perhaps even multiple times.. Before the 'improved' HLAs entered the picture, that procedure was the only action that Mazda recommended to address the ticking,. And it certainly must have worked at least some of the time, otherwise it would have been pointless for them to promote it.
'
And your feedback is very much appreciated, because finding out about the failure of the repair on your engine becomes an important piece of information for anyone else who's engine becomes afflicted with the same malady as yours.

Upvote 0
Very disappointing indeed, and unfortunately proves that the 'redesigned' switchable HLAs is not the hoped-for silver bullet to the ticking, 'air bubble' problem. And IMO it would be a waste of your time and money to go back to the dealer with this issue again.

What can they do at the point? They replaced all of the switchable HLAs, and Mazda has not indicated any 'version 3 of these HLAs . And you most certainly would not want to try another round of his same'fix' on your dime (which would actually be more like $2K or so).

However, I agree about trying the air bleeding procedure, perhaps even multiple times.. Before the 'improved' HLAs entered the picture, that procedure was the only action that Mazda recommended to address the ticking,. And it certainly must have worked at least some of the time, otherwise it would have been pointless for them to promote it.
'
And your feedback is very much appreciated, because finding out about the failure of the repair on your engine becomes an important piece of information for anyone else who's engine becomes afflicted with the same malady as yours.
My point of going back to the Mazda dealer who did the replacement of switchable HLAs; and contacting the MNAO to let both of them know the fix has failed. They may or may not have another solution, but we don’t know unless @macker goes back and raises the issue again. It’s to let Mazda know their fix described in the Service Alert by replacing the switchable HLAs still doesn’t work, at last in @macker’s situation. This could force Mazda to do more research on this tapping noise and eventually find the root cause of the problem.

Upvote 0
My point of going back to the Mazda dealer who did the replacement of switchable HLAs; and contacting the MNAO to let both of them know the fix has failed. They may or may not have another solution, but we don’t know unless @macker goes back and raises the issue again. It’s to let Mazda know their fix described in the Service Alert by replacing the switchable HLAs still doesn’t work, at last in @macker’s situation. This could force Mazda to do more research on this tapping noise and eventually find the root cause of the problem.
I would have no problem whatsoever with him going back to Mazda to report the recurrence of the issue, and discuss any new alternatives that might be available (even though I suspect that nothing like that exists).

However, what I do have a problem with is him having to fork over $180 upfront, where most likely nothing good is going to happen. But obviously everything that we're discussing here is totally his choice anyway.

Upvote 0
⋯ However, what I do have a problem with is him having to fork over $180 upfront, where most likely nothing good is going to happen. But obviously everything that we're discussing here is totally his choice anyway.
Not sure how long the repair warranty is nowadays by the Mazda dealer, but for this I’d talk to the Service Manager or General Manager for a re-occurring problem where the dealer had tried to fix it only 7 months ago. I believe any reasonable dealer won’t charge the $180 “inspection fee” under this circumstance. Besides, @macker does have a third-party warranty which may be able to cover everything.

BTW, if @macker decided to try something by himself after the dealer and third-party warranty failed to do anything, IMO
he should try to use thicker 5W-30 full synthetic oil and see.

Upvote 0
Not sure how long the repair warranty is nowadays by the Mazda dealer, but for this I’d talk to the Service Manager or General Manager for a re-occurring problem where the dealer had tried to fix it only 7 months ago. I believe any reasonable dealer won’t charge the $180 “inspection fee” under this circumstance. Besides, @macker does have a third-party warranty which may be able to cover everything.

BTW, if @macker decided to try something by himself after the dealer and third-party warranty failed to do anything, IMO
he should try to use thicker 5W-30 full synthetic oil and see.
Good question re: what Mazda may/may not do in this situation. I explained to the person in service who took my call the circumstances of my booking, and they saw the previous record (HLA replacement), so they understood this was a return visit from a previous repair. She reiterated on the phone a couple times there would be a diagnostic fee.

Given the situation, I'm not confident they'll want to do anything free of charge, given the car is now out of drivetrain warranty. I'm also not confident of what, if anything, can be done, since this problem has returned. Wouldn't think replacing the HLA's again would be on the table...or even worth trying. Found @Hawke post (#151) interesting regarding the process to help alleviate the noisy engine on newer cars.

We're in a pretty cold environment here during the winter where we can see sustained temps in the -25 to -40C range, so hesitant to run a thicker oil during the winter months.

It's time for my oil to be changed now anyways, so I'm going to do that today or tomorrow, try the SA process @Hawke sent along and see how things go with the noise. If it continues, I'll book an appt. with the dealer to get their feedback.

FYI> I've put about 9000 kms. (5600 miles) on the car since the HLA's were replaced.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm pleased to say after changing the oil, the car is back to running quietly. After I put the new oil in, I started the car and ran it for about 30 secs. and then rev'd it up to about 2500 RPMs for a couple mins. and then shut it down. I had to change out my summer tires/wheels, so did that afterwards and then went and checked the oil dip stick and fluid level was good. My drive yesterday was pretty short, maybe a couple of km's each way to/from home so maybe that had something to do with it. 🤷‍♂️

Anyways, here's a clip of the engine running post oil & filter change. Fingers crossed things continue to run smoothly.

Upvote 0
Well, I'm pleased to say after changing the oil, the car is back to running quietly. After I put the new oil in, I started the car and ran it for about 30 secs. and then rev'd it up to about 2500 RPMs for a couple mins. and then shut it down. I had to change out my summer tires/wheels, so did that afterwards and then went and checked the oil dip stick and fluid level was good. My drive yesterday was pretty short, maybe a couple of km's each way to/from home so maybe that had something to do with it. 🤷‍♂️

Anyways, here's a clip of the engine running post oil & filter change. Fingers crossed things continue to run smoothly.
View attachment 322595o run smoothly.
IMO, revving the engine to get rid of bubbles is only a temporary solution. That’s why Mazda came out the second TSB replacing switchable HLAs for the tapping noise. I can tell you the noise will come back at certain point. Keep us posted.

I believe the whole issue of this tapping noise started from the reprogramming of the oil pressure feeding to those SHLAs from the safety recall where Mazda was trying to resolve the fallen rocker arm problem on 2.5L NA with cylinder deactivation. The change of oil pressure definitely affected the original SHLAs causing bubbles, and it could be something even the newer version SHLAs can’t be functioning properly sometimes.

Upvote 0

Latest posts

Back