CX-5 Sales continue to set records

I have seen a lot of CX-3's around here too lately.

Same with CX-5's. I kinda miss back when I bought mine in 2013 and you didn't see any out there. Was kinda cool.

But still not as many, not even close, as the other ones out there, mainly Subaru Foresters/Outbacks/Crosstreks, RAV4's, Rogues, CR-Vs.

I have seen a lot of CX-3's around here too lately.

Same with CX-5's. I kinda miss back when I bought mine in 2013 and you didn't see any out there. Was kinda cool.

But still not as many, not even close, as the other ones out there, mainly Subaru Foresters/Outbacks/Crosstreks, RAV4's, Rogues, CR-Vs.

CX-5s can be spotted frequently in trendier areas of Phoenix and San Diego. The demographics seem to like its combination of style and city utilitarian use :)

Nice. Does Touring have power seats? How's rear leg room?

The Touring trim includes all of the above[sport trim], along with 18-inch alloy wheels, keyless entry, dual-zone automatic climate control, simulated leather upholstery, a six-way power driver seat and heated front seats.

It is typical compact sedan with minimal rearseat leg room.

Last edited:
We bought the hatchback for our high school son. Great car for that age and profile. We got the 2017 Touring for $20,500+ tax.
Great car for the price. 20 years ago my dad bought me a 95 eclipse turbo for $20k. I cannot believe how much more you get for the money nowadays.

According to your chart, 2011 was the best year for the CX-9, not 2017 so not sure why people are saying it was the best year ever.

And if one looks at the chart, one should note the sales of the CX-9 should be WAY higher than the previous years due to the rapid growth of the SUV market from 2007-current.

I want to say it's because the CX-9 has the length, width, weight, and price tag of a mid to large sized CUV but the interior space of a compact CUV. But the same is true of the Kia Sorento, and it sells much better. (dunno)

^Not so on the Kia..its a full foot shorter, few inches narrower yet manages to be roomier, it also has a better warranty, tech and a stronger engine so strickly via the numbers its a comparative no brainer. Who buys (or is the primary user of these things) probably 2/3 or more I'm guessing- women. Of those how many truly care that the Mazda is the better driver of the two, 1 maybe 2 out of 10...riddle decoded!

Monterra- My wife came very close to purchasing the CX-9. She also looked at the Sorento and all the others in the segment. The CX-9 and Sorento are pretty close when it comes to interior space. With the 3rd row down, they have the same cargo space at 38 cf, which actually puts them slightly behind the CR-V, RAV4, and Rogue. With the 3rd row up, the CX-9 has a little more room behind. The CX-9 is a bit wider in the 2nd row, but the Sorento has a bit more combined legroom. So passenger volume is a bit of a toss-up. They both have a 3rd row that's for kids only. In my opinion, they are both too small for the class.

Regarding the stronger engine, after driving them both, the CX-9 feels stronger. The 3.3L V6 in the Sorento is peaky and it doesn't go anywhere without a couple of downshifts. The CX-9 pulls like a diesel. But I'm sure a lot of people scratch the CX-9 off their list because it doesn't have a V6, without even trying it.

The CX-9 also has a more car-like driving position (lower/flatter) than a lot of its competitors, which many CUV buyers don't like, but my wife and I did. And visibility out of the side and rear windows isn't that great. But the main reason we didn't buy it was the interior space.

Yeah I guess they are pretty similar but EPA says 154.2 total passenger Sorrento vs 135.1 for CX-9- which seems wrong actually but the CX9 does occupy a larger footprint and the Sorrento turns tighter and thus easier to park. With that said I like how it drives by a distance and think we'd make due with the somewhat limited space..but she sure likes her 14 Highlander- actually haven't driven the refresh w/8 speed and DI but I think the Mazda will be a tough sell for her-she likes the way it looks- she will appreciate the way it handles- but space will certainly be up there, dealer proximity, resale- all things that will no doubt be pts of contention against the 9 and kind of hard to argue.

Savageeese a reviewer on youtube said this and I agree - CX9 is by far the best and most refined Mazda till date (even considering 17 CX5). It is just a better built car overall and on top of that gets 25 mpg combined which is fantastic.
The 3 row segment has to have high practicality and will pull buyers ready to compromise on it a bit and those who really like the Mazda's look.
Imo the CX9 also is the best looking Mazda sold except maybe CX4 which competes with it.

Savageeese a reviewer on youtube said this and I agree - CX9 is by far the best and most refined Mazda till date (even considering 17 CX5). It is just a better built car overall and on top of that gets 25 mpg combined which is fantastic.
The 3 row segment has to have high practicality and will pull buyers ready to compromise on it a bit and those who really like the Mazda's look.
Imo the CX9 also is the best looking Mazda sold except maybe CX4 which competes with it.

I agree with this post 100%.

The CX-9 is the most refined because it is an all new platform and they were able to add all the insulation etc into it.

The CX-5 is basically still gen 1 platform and you can only do so much.

Kaps is right that this segment values practicality. Seven-seaters are predominantly family haulers. I think the CX-9 prioritizes styling over practicality a little too much.

Kaps is right that this segment values practicality. Seven-seaters are predominantly family haulers. I think the CX-9 prioritizes styling over practicality a little too much.

Trying to keep inline with Kodo philosophy

All the KODO designed Mazdas pretty much prioritise styling over practicality. I'm ok with it personally (lol)

At least they also focus on the "driving matters" side of things too.

Last edited:
All the KODO designed Mazdas pretty much prioritise styling over practicality. I'm ok with it personally (lol)

Talk about emphasis on styling over practicality!

2016-mazda-cx-4.jpg

Agreed on the looks damn nice part but the cargo area looks to be substantially compromised- yugely vs. gen1, still significantly vs gen2 but maybe there's some magic inside (like no spare:)!)

Back