CX-5 Diesel Turbo is VERY likely!

I, too, am concerned about the strength of an all aluminum diesel motor. I understand the lower compression helps, but to me it seems like a diesel should have stronger metals

Right now i also own a 6.7 cummins, which (unlike ford and gm) still uses cast iron for the block AND head

I also feel that if mazda needed a "feeler" vehicle for this engine they should have chosen the 3 instead of the 6 since more ppl get tdi golfs than diesel sedans like the 6 is. I reallywant a diesel car to replace my ms3 now and given the choice between another hatch 3 or the cx5 id probably go for the 3.

I, too, am concerned about the strength of an all aluminum diesel motor. I understand the lower compression helps, but to me it seems like a diesel should have stronger metals

Right now i also own a 6.7 cummins, which (unlike ford and gm) still uses cast iron for the block AND head

A motor that puts out 800lb-ft of torque jolly well better be cast iron!!! It also weighs over 1000lbs dry. (boom05)

But I agree entirely that the 6 makes little sense as the pilot vehicle for this engine given American buying habits... even the 6 wagon would have made more sense given the take rates on the avilable VW TDIs. I imagine that if a diesel 3 ever made it to the states it would use the lower output version, which would still rock the socks off of any other compact hatch out there.

Though I have to say I think the CX-5 really should have been the feeler vehicle instead of the 6, as I've said before the difference in fuel economy would be (no wait, *will* be!) an utter game changer in the crossover segment. I'm holding onto my down payment until then.

Though I have to say I think the CX-5 really should have been the feeler vehicle instead of the 6, as I've said before the difference in fuel economy would be (no wait, *will* be!) an utter game changer in the crossover segment. I'm holding onto my down payment until then.

Mazda should have brought the CX-5 with the diesel and 2.5 gas from the start. The 2.0 litre should go in their CX-3 that they'll be introducing soon.

Mazda piloted the 2.2l S-D in the CX-5 overseas.

It seems moot whether or not it was a sound choice to test USDM diesel market in the CX-5, seeing as it is confirmed both the CX-5 and new 6 will both host the engine...

The CX-5 in it's current US 2.0L gasser config is already established as the fuel efficiency leader in this class of compact SUV's, well done.

For model year 2014 extra cost 2.5L gasser and 2.2L diesel (still need to find out just how much of price premium for the diesel) will be nice upgrades. The 2.0L gasser will remain as the lowest price configuration with best gas mileage in class.

As in combined mileage or highway or what? My commute needs a better combined mileage than the other two, hence why a hybrid (or all electric) would not be the best choice for me

As in combined mileage or highway or what? My commute needs a better combined mileage than the other two, hence why a hybrid (or all electric) would not be the best choice for me

Highway is what Mazda advertises as "best". The choices for hybrid SUVs are very limited, but I think they are about tied for combined rating.

Mazda piloted the 2.2l S-D in the CX-5 overseas.

It seems moot whether or not it was a sound choice to test USDM diesel market in the CX-5, seeing as it is confirmed both the CX-5 and new 6 will both host the engine...

I know I've seen lots of rumors and speculation/extrapolation that the 2.2L CX-5 is coming to the US, but where has it been confirmed? I ask not to call you into question but rather to read the source and continue to let my dreams of a 2.2L, 6MT, AWD CX-5 run all the more wild.

It makes sense to launch initially in a single model to get some experience on how the very new-for-the-US design diesel fares in our emissions, fuel, and climate environment. But then it is logical for the 2.2L to spread into other models, particularly the CX-5 and possibly the new 3.

I know I've seen lots of rumors and speculation/extrapolation that the 2.2L CX-5 is coming to the US, but where has it been confirmed?

I don't believe that there has been any official word either way about bringing this version to our market. There was a whole lot of speculation leading up to the LA Auto show last fall, but the announcement turned out to be the 2.5L in the 2014 CX-5 and 2.2L Diesel in the Mazda6. However, this does make it pretty clear that Mazda is willing to hold its cards close to its chest until it's time for an implementation to actually happen, as there wasn't any strong indiciation of the 2.5L coming until that point and it was in dealerships just two months later.

At this point, I'm not holding out for any news in the near term. The US auto show season is rapidly drawing to a close and the only major show left with enough press coverage to make that short of major announcement is New York, which starts the very end of this month and runs a week into April. I suppose it's possible they might drop a bomb there, but it doesn't seem likely that Mazda would make another diesel announcement until the currently announced product actually comes to market.

On the other hand, it would make sense for them to use the NY show to announce something of import, as there's then a major lull in domestic events until the LA Auto Show after Thanksgiving.

Well, Mazda may announce it close to the on-sale date. That's one thing that bugs me about some of the automakers. They announce or show vehicles literally 12 months before you're able to buy them, sometimes longer. I think 3 months is ideal, so the interest and anticipation is still high by the time they hit the showrooms. I'm thinking there might be some announcement at the L.A. show, and sales in early calendar 2014.

I guess they want to stop you buying a competitors cars that's available now. However there tends to be a waiting list even when new models go on sale, plus it's best not to be at the front of the queue for a new model because there will be bugs that need ironing out. I was looking more for an mpv / minivan to replace my kia but they all had worse performance the the car I had less power but more economy. I wanted more power & more economy otherwise I'd have stayed put with my old car.

Because the cx-5 was the same size as my old car, with more performance & economy, I decided to check out other SUV's/ 4x4's the BMW X3 came closest for me, but it didn't offer enough to make me swap.

I was wondering if a diesel is worth it any more considering the premium paid over the gas engine and the more costly fuel? Ignoring torque benefits and a more robust engine?

In Phoenix regular and diesel are now almost the same price. The latest GasBuddy.com prices in 85048 are $3.41 regular, $3.45 diesel. I never expected this to occur.

Thanks for sharing, but how about in monetary terms? I guess it depends on how much extra the premium for the diesel will be in the states.

the diesel cx5 will get you around 25% more mpg than the petrol one. on my last car i was getting about 30% more mpg than the petrol model. so if diesel is only around 10% more, then you may start to recover the greater initial cost with lower fuel bills. The diesel is more complicated, twin stage turbo, dpf etc.. so I think overall there's not that much of a difference as you'd think if you sell you cx-5 before these components need attention. I prefer the torque you get with the diesel and less refills at the pumps.

Also I'd prefer to pay more up front in return for lower running costs from day 1. long term fuel prices are only going one way for the foreseeable future. In the uk it was 1600 pounds more for the diesel. A very quick calculation for 10,000 miles p.a. would be 325 less spent on fuel with the diesel. What Car reckon of 3 years an 36000 miles the diesel is cheaper to run.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/...ce&editions=40163&editions=39331#RunningCosts

when I bought my first new car I bought a cheap car with average fuel economy. I couldn't afford the up-front cost of a more expensive car with good mpg. Every time I filled up at the station I was reminded of the fact!

I guess they want to stop you buying a competitors cars that's available now. However there tends to be a waiting list even when new models go on sale, plus it's best not to be at the front of the queue for a new model because there will be bugs that need ironing out. I was looking more for an mpv / minivan to replace my kia but they all had worse performance the the car I had less power but more economy. I wanted more power & more economy otherwise I'd have stayed put with my old car.

Because the cx-5 was the same size as my old car, with more performance & economy, I decided to check out other SUV's/ 4x4's the BMW X3 came closest for me, but it didn't offer enough to make me swap.

We seem to have been the guinea-pigs here in Australia with the 2.2L Diesel. There was an issue with rising oil that Mazda has only just recently fixed.However if you love the inefficiency of the 2L gas model you will love the 2.2L Diesel, more efficient and more power!!!

However if you love the inefficiency of the 2L gas model you will love the 2.2L Diesel, more efficient and more power!!!

Name one petrol car in the same class that is as efficient as the 2.0L CX-5.

What? I can't hear you.

We seem to have been the guinea-pigs here in Australia with the 2.2L Diesel. There was an issue with rising oil that Mazda has only just recently fixed.However if you love the inefficiency of the 2L gas model you will love the 2.2L Diesel, more efficient and more power!!!

Sounds like my 6.7 Cummins....because of the regen process. Wonder if it's the same for the mazda, since I think it does not rely on def to clean its exhaust

Name one petrol car in the same class that is as efficient as the 2.0L CX-5.

What? I can't hear you.

Lol autocorrect has done my in I'm sure I wrote efficiency and I'm sure I spelt it wrong and I think its corrected to inefficient. I meant if you like the mileage on the 2.0 the 2.2 diesel is even better.

Having said that I just had a look at the mazda USA website and my jaw just dropped, the prices are 15K cheaper over there and our dollar is worth more at the moment. Not to mention its cheaper to ship cars here from the factory.

Lol autocorrect has done my in I'm sure I wrote efficiency and I'm sure I spelt it wrong and I think its corrected to inefficient. I meant if you like the mileage on the 2.0 the 2.2 diesel is even better.

Having said that I just had a look at the mazda USA website and my jaw just dropped, the prices are 15K cheaper over there and our dollar is worth more at the moment. Not to mention its cheaper to ship cars here from the factory.

are the specs the same though? do you get 14:1 compression in auz? it could also be that there are variations due to legislation and of course USA sales are likely to be much higher, so market variation costs work out less over a larger number of vehicles that could be another reason for the difference.

Daihatsu pulled out of Europe because the costs of meeting new euro standards didn't make sense for the volume of sales they had in europe :(

Back