CX-5 Android Auto / Apple CarPlay

Has any one with a retrofitted AA/ACP kit in their CX5, had problem in using their cars original/factory GPS navigator? I was thinking of installing a retrofit usb kit for AA/ACP in my 2017 CX5 but then read somewhere that the factory navigator card does not work after installing the kit. Is this true?
Just the opposite. I have a '17 GT w/factory NAV and had the dealer retrofit the AA/ACP when it was available a couple of years ago. Factory NAV still works OK but the AA maps (either Google or Waze) won't. I get a system error (mobile device not connected) every 20 seconds then the app restarts. After the 10th restart, it simply dies. Last service the dealer said they couldn't replicate the problem. Since then I've had them update the head unit firmware, replaced the USB cable with an official Samsung USB cable and even upgraded my phone to a new Galaxy S21.

Next scheduled service the service manager is going to have to take a test ride with me in the car. As far as I'm concerned, it was a waste of $500.

Just the opposite. I have a '17 GT w/factory NAV and had the dealer retrofit the AA/ACP when it was available a couple of years ago. Factory NAV still works OK but the AA maps (either Google or Waze) won't. I get a system error (mobile device not connected) every 20 seconds then the app restarts. After the 10th restart, it simply dies. Last service the dealer said they couldn't replicate the problem. Since then I've had them update the head unit firmware, replaced the USB cable with an official Samsung USB cable and even upgraded my phone to a new Galaxy S21.

Next scheduled service the service manager is going to have to take a test ride with me in the car. As far as I'm concerned, it was a waste of $500.
Makes one wonder if the dealer uploaded the newest update before mounting the kit. If not done in correct order it seems to mess up the whole process. How disappointing for you. Sorry to hear that.

The current Android software has AA built in. When I got my new Galaxy S21 I linked up the Mazda application in my infotainment to my phone - and it still crashes every 10 seconds. Prior to this phone, I had been using the AA app available on the Google Play Store. Nothing seems to work. Phone charges fine with the USB cable and it will load all my phone contacts OK then crashes when displaying either the Google or Waze map.

The current Android software has AA built in. When I got my new Galaxy S21 I linked up the Mazda application in my infotainment to my phone - and it still crashes every 10 seconds. Prior to this phone, I had been using the AA app available on the Google Play Store. Nothing seems to work. Phone charges fine with the USB cable and it will load all my phone contacts OK then crashes when displaying either the Google or Waze map.

That sucks. I have a 16.5' GT and had the hub updated. Have an S21 Ultra and seems to be working fine. Occasional quirks but I've been opting for beta updates as well the last odd months. But it had been working pretty well before that as well.

I updated to iOS 15.4 this morning, and the home button no longer opens the CarPlay home screen on my CX-5. My home button otherwise works, in fact, if I press and hold the home button, I can now get out of CarPlay and go to the infotainment home screen. (this didn't work before)
Is anyone else having the same issue?

I am trying to make a Android phone work on my 2020 Signature. I can activate it in the menu and the Android auto menu shows up, but it seems like the jog feature of the controls/knob on the console do not work. I can spin the knob and some things change on screen, but trying to select anything doesn't work as the jog feature is not functional at all. Also as I first connect to the car with the USB cord I can ask questions or request an address,and it works through the car's screen and sound system but shortly after it won't respond to "Hey Google" at all for the duration of the drive. What I have been able to do is set up the address/destination before plugging the USB cable in and then plugging it in after and it shows up on the screen and the audio goes through the car speakers. Sorry if this has been covered before. I did look around at bit and didn't see any thing quite like this issue discussed. Thanks!

I have an Iphone so I do not know how it's supposed to work with an android. With the Iphone I never say "Hey, Siri!". I press and hold the voice command button on the left side of the steering wheel and Siri becomes active and then I say the voice command. Try that, maybe it works.

I have an Iphone so I do not know how it's supposed to work with an android. With the Iphone I never say "Hey, Siri!". I press and hold the voice command button on the left side of the steering wheel and Siri becomes active and then I say the voice command. Try that, maybe it works.

Thanks! I reset the cars menu system and my phone now connects. Yes I can control with voice as you describe as well, however the jog control on the console does not. Does yours work?

Anyone using one of those wireless CarPlay dongles? The idea is appealing to me, but reviewers like carplaylife mention it introduces a 1 or 2 second delay, which is pretty bad when it comes to phone calls. How's your experience?

Alternatively I was thinking to have 1 phone for CarPlay, another using regular bluetooth for phone calls. But it appears the Mazda system disconnects the bluetooth phone when CarPlay is connected. Unless there's a way to avoid this?

Can someone please point me in the right direction I have a 16 GT with my infotainment at 55.00.300 with no region I live in the states. I’m new to the forums and can’t find the firmware at all please help thanks in advance

Can someone please point me in the right direction I have a 16 GT with my infotainment at 55.00.300 with no region I live in the states. I’m new to the forums and can’t find the firmware at all please help thanks in advance
I don't think you can anymore. Used to be available online. But I thought Mazda requested it to be taken down. They used to be available at a link on HiDrive.

Last edited:

55? Wow. You should try playing around with the Tweaks before you update anything.

I have no idea what the tweaks are 😂. Only thing i know is that I seen a thread on jumping from 55>59>70 and then the to the latest firmware i really don’t want to brick the radio so I’m trying to be extremely cautious with this…thanks for you help

I know I’m late to the party but I really don’t want to go to the dealership to get over charged for firmware files… Thinking of just replacing the unit to just get rid of this little problem that’s starting to become a pain

Keep digging through the forum, the files are here, I just can't remember where. But if I would still have the 55 installed, I would install AIO tweaks and give it a go. You can always get back to the original firmware if you don't like it.

Back