2017~2024 CX-5 Aftermarket shock replacement suggestions

Hello fellow cx5 owners.

I’m about to put on some corksport springs and replace my shocks while I’m at it. But I can’t seem to find much feedback on replacement shocks.

I would like to stay close to stock comfort ride as much as possible and don’t want any stiffness.

So far it just looks like oem replacements from bilstein or kyb.

But I would like to hear from people who have gotten their stock shocks replaced with what brand and how is the ride compared to stock.

Thank you.

Haven't priced CX-5 shocks yet (my car only has 95k on it), but on my Mazda5, the OEM shocks actually turned out to be cheaper than even KYB's! On my MZ5, the OEM's come with the upper mount already installed, it's not something that you have to buy extra. That is how they wound up cheaper.

Have a look at places like Cox Mazda, Mazdaswag, Med Center Mazda, Jim Ellis, and Quirkparts before you buy anything aftermarket.

Haven't priced CX-5 shocks yet (my car only has 95k on it), but on my Mazda5, the OEM shocks actually turned out to be cheaper than even KYB's! On my MZ5, the OEM's come with the upper mount already installed, it's not something that you have to buy extra. That is how they wound up cheaper.

Have a look at places like Cox Mazda, Mazdaswag, Med Center Mazda, Jim Ellis, and Quirkparts before you buy anything aftermarket.
For front struts and rear shock absorbers here’s the price info for the available whole set (front & rear) on CX-5:
$220 for the KYB set,
$420 for the oem set,
$620 for the KONI FSD's

I had great luck with the KONI FSD's on my 06 Mazda5, however it would be nice to find some other options available...

You are one of the first I have seen on here contemplating replacements on the forum. Usually only driving enthusiasts or safety enthusiasts (Me included), will be changing theirs at 60k miles. You will find others will say they can last 2 or 3 times as long, yes..., they will still be attached to the car, but not very effective anymore...

You are on the early cusp of available shock options, and others will surely come out as there begins to be a demand.

⋯ On my MZ5, the OEM's come with the upper mount already installed, it's not something that you have to buy extra. That is how they wound up cheaper.
Yes, the top mount of rear shock absorbers on gen-1 CX-5 is included in OEM rear shocks, but not included in aftermarket shocks. Worse, the top mount isn’t available separately from either OEM or aftermarket. And the top mount had been improved a couple of times along the way during gen-1 CX-5 production cycle. So it’s very important to check the condition of the top mounts of rear shocks on gen-1 CX-5 if you plan to get aftermarket rear shocks as there’re reports that those rear shock top mounts are cracked or broken and can’t be reused.

The top mount of rear shocks on gen-2 CX-5 is a separate part and available from Mazda.

Just looked up prices at Cox Mazda, and the OEM rear shocks, including the mounts, are $95 each. That's not a bad price at all, and really a no-brainer that that's the way to go.

They don't sell front "Quick Struts", but if you wanted to replace all of the parts including even the small parts like the dust covers, you're looking at $460. While not as cheap as the KYB's, I still think it's fair, and when the time comes to replace mine, that's definitely the route I'm going.

Mind you, these are prices just from a single source, I haven't shopped around at all. So you can probably come out even less, especially if you get different parts from different sources.

Just looked up prices at Cox Mazda, and the OEM rear shocks, including the mounts, are $95 each. That's not a bad price at all, and really a no-brainer that that's the way to go.

They don't sell front "Quick Struts", but if you wanted to replace all of the parts including even the small parts like the dust covers, you're looking at $460. While not as cheap as the KYB's, I still think it's fair, and when the time comes to replace mine, that's definitely the route I'm going.

Mind you, these are prices just from a single source, I haven't shopped around at all. So you can probably come out even less, especially if you get different parts from different sources.
If you’re interested in OEM rear shocks, make sure to use the VIN to verify the correct part number from a local Mazda dealer first. There’re too many different part numbers from Mazda on rear shocks, and you want to get the right ones.

It surprised me that there’re so many versions of OEM rear shock absorbers on CX-5 for different MY’s and FWD / AWD. On the other hand, KYB listed only 2 for CX-5, 349219 to 5/13/2013 and 3440013 from 5/13/2013 up to 2018 MY.

There were design changes along the years on OEM rear shock absorbers which does get confused. So for OEM rear shocks, the best way is to use VIN with Mazda parts department to get correct p/n for the CX-5.

For OEM rear shock absorbers. #24 in the diagram, here are part numbers for gen-1 CX-5:

View attachment 229025
C1A89680-5F18-426D-97E8-A565138E0406.png

KDY5-28-910C Shock absorber for 2013 ~ 2014 Mazda CX-5 to 5/13/13.

KR27-28-910H Shock absorber for 2014 ~ 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 from 5/13/13, Type 2, without AWD.

KD35-28-910K Shock absorber for 2014 ~ 2015 Mazda CX-5 from 5/13/13, Type 1, with AWD.

KA0G-28-910G Shock absorber for 2015 ~ 2016.5 CX-5 from 11/03/2014, with AWD.

For OEM rear shock absorbers and shock top mount, #1 and #4 in the diagram, here are part numbers for gen-2 CX-5:

View attachment 229026
969449B5-6B4A-48B1-83FA-6725C5B75671.png

KB7W-28-700B Damper rear for 2017 CX-5 to 06/22/2017, with FWD.

KL2F-28-700A Damper rear for 2017 ~ current CX-5 from 06/22/2017.

KL2G-28-700A Damper rear for 2017 ~ current CX-5 from 06/22/2017.

TK48-28-380C Shock mount for 2017 CX-5 to 10/01/2017.

TK52-28-380C Shock mount for 2017 ~ current CX-5 from 10/01/2017.

🙄
🥴
😵
🤬

Last edited:
All of the above leads me to ask what kind of life are you getting from the original front and rear shocks? I presume that 99% of driving by those responding has been on paved roads.

All of the above leads me to ask what kind of life are you getting from the original front and rear shocks? I presume that 99% of driving by those responding has been on paved roads.
Yeah based on the short tire and brake life of yours, you definitely need struts and shock absorbers much earlier. Rear shocks on CX-5 seem to be wear-out or leak earlier than front struts. One easy thing for you is to check the leak on rear shocks often, and replace them if you see any.

IMO, you may need rear shocks at around 50K miles, and front struts around 70K miles. But this’s purely just my estimation based on your tire and brake life. YMMV.

I will make a point of reminding the dealer to check those during the 5000 kilometer revisions.

Very early 2013 Sport FWD model here (manufactured summer 2012). At 100k miles rear driver side got oil over it. 2000 miles later and I can feel it. About to be replaced. First 60k miles of the vehicle had heavy weight on the rear. All paved but bumpy midwest roads.

Very early 2013 Sport FWD model here (manufactured summer 2012). At 100k miles rear driver side got oil over it. 2000 miles later and I can feel it. About to be replaced. First 60k miles of the vehicle had heavy weight on the rear. All paved but bumpy midwest roads.
Wife's MZ5 did the same thing. Replace the pair. And if you get the OEM shocks, they turn out to be cheaper than aftermarket, because the OEM shocks come with new upper mounts already installed.

View attachment 303640
B6’s in the rear with cork sport springs and Godspeed camber arms
So Bilstein now offers (expensive) rear shocks for CX-5? Always wondering why there’re so many versions of OEM rear shocks, but aftermarket shocks can be “one-size-fit-all”?

And why the rear bumper cover is removed for rear springs / shocks / camber arms installation?

I installed them. Before I made it out of the driveway, I knew I had dun goofed. My worn out 130,000 mile KYB Excel G's rode and handled better. So much so, I damned near pulled back into the garage to put the old KYB's back on, no lie.

Only reason I didn't, I was thinking the Monroes would settle down in a week or two. They never did. TRASH.

Back