CX-5 Aftermarket Pads and Rotors

anyman

:
Mazda CX-5 GT
Curious if Power Stop products are good. It's been a minute since I've DIY'ed brakes and I'm used to what my local Napa or Autozone would have in stock. I've never used Power Stop stuff but the reviews seem good. Here's a link to the kit I want to buy:

Anybody with experience with these have any opinions? $125 shipped seems insanely reasonable to me.

Look, alot of people here will say this and say that. I needed brakes on 4 corners and I had them done at Canadian Tire. So far so good. I'll get the dealer to service them after the winter. I'm sure they will be fine.

Curious if Power Stop products are good. It's been a minute since I've DIY'ed brakes and I'm used to what my local Napa or Autozone would have in stock. I've never used Power Stop stuff but the reviews seem good. Here's a link to the kit I want to buy:

Anybody with experience with these have any opinions? $125 shipped seems insanely reasonable to me.
I dont have these on my cx5, but I did put them on my 04 Porsche Boxster. No issues, seem like good quality. I used the powerstop evolution.

Thanks for the responses. I’d normally get OEM but the car has nearly 100k and at this point I feel ok putting quality after market brake parts on the car.

Thanks for the responses. I’d normally get OEM but the car has nearly 100k and at this point I feel ok putting quality after market brake parts on the car.
I think some of the members here have had good experience with Power Stop parts and Rockauto (or whomever). Maybe they'll chime in with some info. Hang around for a few and see what comes at you.

After a little research it looks like I can get Bosch Quiet Cast rotors and pads for $150 total. Might be worth the extra money to have the Bosch name/reputation…or maybe not. I know next to nothing about which brands are better.

After a little research it looks like I can get Bosch Quiet Cast rotors and pads for $150 total. Might be worth the extra money to have the Bosch name/reputation…or maybe not. I know next to nothing about which brands are better.
It's not a quick answer to what you should get but have you tried the search function. The subject of brakes has been discussed here many times, so member experiences, brands and prices have been posted. Reading those may cause you to have additional questions to ask which could further guide your decisions. Also may learn about avoiding unhappy results.
Beyond brands and prices, things like types of caliper pin lubes, preventing brake pad squeal, locations to clean and lube so pads don't bind in the caliper assembly, putting vehicle in maintenance mode if equipped with EPB (Electronic Parking Brake -- you do not squeeze the piston back in with a big C-clamp because damage will ensue, plus other precautions to take). The list goes on.

I wouldn't blame you for not going OEM either (and I didn't for my brakes). What year is your CX-5 and are you doing front or rear only or all 4 brakes/rotors.

It’s a 2015 (bought it in 2014) GT. Just doing the front. I just recently had the rear rotors turned and new pads put on.

It’s a 2015 (bought it in 2014) GT. Just doing the front. I just recently had the rear rotors turned and new pads put on.
I've never been totally happy with any ceramic pad I've tried including the heralded Akebono ProAct ( on my previous car) which were for me an expensive letdown. Another letdown on that same car were Bosch ceramic pads. In fact those were the only brake pads I've ever returned in my life , back to O'Reilly Auto parts.
What I can highly recommend is what I'm running on all 4 corners. They are way cheaper than OEM Mazda ceramics, have better bite and are rotor friendly (very little rotor wear) and don't dust too much more than OEM. They are a hybrid (ceramic and semi-metallic) pad that gives better stopping power and the linear feel of a semi-metallic. They also come with the stainless steel pad retaining clips that Mazda pads don't and are sold separately.
Check out these pads. Rockauto attached but Amazon should be around the same price and you may save on shipping.
For rotors, no recommendation. Maybe Powerstop you are considering. I would guess that you would not want drilled and/or slotted but would want coated rotors (at least the hub like factory) to prevent rusting. If you will be comparing prices elsewhere, be sure it's Element 3 EHT (Enhanced Hybrid Technology). The non-EHT are plain ceramic and not hybrid. Good Luck.
ETA. In the past I've had good success with the better grade of Raybestos rotors. Wagner is another brand that people seem to be satisfied with. Both companies have been in the brake business like forever.

Last edited:
I've never been totally happy with any ceramic pad I've tried including the heralded Akebono ProAct ( on my previous car) which were for me an expensive letdown. ⋯
Plenty of good information on aftermarket pads and rotors. (y)

Like @anyman, I usually go with OEM pads and rotors. But when my car is getting much older and the price on OEM parts is getting much higher, I also settled for reputable aftermarket parts. Recently I got Ate rear pads and rotors for my 2000 BMW 528i. I know Ate is an OE manufacture for many European cars. And it should have OE quality. Of course the price is a half of BMW’s genuine pads and rotors.

In fact those were the only brake pads I've ever returned in my life , back to O'Reilly Auto parts.
Didn’t know you can actually return the pads after they’ve been used?

They are way cheaper than OEM Mazda ceramics,
I always thought Mazda OEM pads (or most factory OEM pads) are semi-metallic?

They also come with the stainless steel pad retaining clips that Mazda pads don't and are sold separately.
Yeah that’s one thing I don’t like Mazda OEM brake pad set. A “set” with nothing else included for necessary pad replacement! The Honda brake pad set for my 1998 Honda CR-V does come with those stainless steel retaining springs and brake grease.

⋯ but would want coated rotors (at least the hub like factory) to prevent rusting.
I thought most factory brake rotors including Mazda’s are not coated? The Ate rotors I got for my BMW 528i are indeed coated.

Not sure if anyone cares, but every time I've tried to have CT Boutique put on the Brembo Rotors and pads, they always caution against them. One guy told me they are meant for more high performance vehicles and that they would make alot of noise on our CX-5's.

Crap…unfortunately I ordered Bosch rotors and pads a couple of days ago. I guess we’ll see how it goes. Not discounting your experience @Jmaz but I heard a lot of positive things about Bosch. I guess we’ll see.

Compared to what I have on there now anything will be better. I’m fairly certain the pads are contaminated. They make a ridiculous groan/grind at slow speeds…particularly when stopped and letting my foot slightly off the brake. It brakes fine but that sound is definitely not normal.

Rotors have already been turned twice. Dealer’s first attempt at installing new pads and turning rotors led to a strange braking noise at normal speeds…took it back and they redid everything for free only to have it now make this other noise. So I don’t want to keep these rotors and figured it would be faster to just start over fresh.

Plenty of good information on aftermarket pads and rotors. (y)

Like @anyman, I usually go with OEM pads and rotors. But when my car is getting much older and the price on OEM parts is getting much higher, I also settled for reputable aftermarket parts. Recently I got Ate rear pads and rotors for my 2000 BMW 528i. I know Ate is an OE manufacture for many European cars. And it should have OE quality. Of course the price is a half of BMW’s genuine pads and rotors.

Didn’t know you can actually return the pads after they’ve been used?

I always thought Mazda OEM pads (or most factory OEM pads) are semi-metallic?

Yeah that’s one thing I don’t like Mazda OEM brake pad set. A “set” with nothing else included for necessary pad replacement! The Honda brake pad set for my 1998 Honda CR-V does come with those stainless steel retaining springs and brake grease.

I thought most factory brake rotors including Mazda’s are not coated? The Ate rotors I got for my BMW 528i are indeed coated.
O'Reilly took the Bosch pads back. The pads just didn't really break in like pads normally do.

The factory pads, like I think most all cars these days are full ceramic and they dust very little compared to full semi's which dirty wheels noticeably.

The 'hat' section is coated on the OEM rotors. I didn't mean OEM Mazda were totally coated.

I'll be doing rear brakes today (and maybe fronts, depending on how they look), using Raybestos Element 3 pads and rotors. $288 including shipping from Rockauto for front/rear pads and rotors. I figure I'm saving at least $1000 over what the dealer would charge me.

@stickerbush Where I live I paid $240 (that's after a $130 off coupon) for just the rear pad replacement and rotor turning so you're saving A LOT. This is one of the reasons I decided to do this myself. I've done it in the past...took a good 20 year hiatus from doing DIY mechanic stuff...but with the prices being charged now I feel like I'm getting fleeced.

Crap…unfortunately I ordered Bosch rotors and pads a couple of days ago. I guess we’ll see how it goes. Not discounting your experience @Jmaz but I heard a lot of positive things about Bosch. I guess we’ll see.

Compared to what I have on there now anything will be better. I’m fairly certain the pads are contaminated. They make a ridiculous groan/grind at slow speeds…particularly when stopped and letting my foot slightly off the brake. It brakes fine but that sound is definitely not normal.

Rotors have already been turned twice. Dealer’s first attempt at installing new pads and turning rotors led to a strange braking noise at normal speeds…took it back and they redid everything for free only to have it now make this other noise. So I don’t want to keep these rotors and figured it would be faster to just start over fresh.
Go with what you got. Those Bosch pads were probably 13 years ago. Material formulations change and I can't remember which version of their pad I bought anyway. Maybe mine were from a bad batch. Who knows? Besides, pads are cheap and easy to change if you're not happy at some point. The important thing is to get decent, safe brakes.

I've never been totally happy with any ceramic pad I've tried including the heralded Akebono ProAct ( on my previous car) which were for me an expensive letdown. Another letdown on that same car were Bosch ceramic pads. In fact those were the only brake pads I've ever returned in my life , back to O'Reilly Auto parts.
What I can highly recommend is what I'm running on all 4 corners. They are way cheaper than OEM Mazda ceramics, have better bite and are rotor friendly (very little rotor wear) and don't dust too much more than OEM. They are a hybrid (ceramic and semi-metallic) pad that gives better stopping power and the linear feel of a semi-metallic. They also come with the stainless steel pad retaining clips that Mazda pads don't and are sold separately.
Check out these pads. Rockauto attached but Amazon should be around the same price and you may save on shipping.
For rotors, no recommendation. Maybe Powerstop you are considering. I would guess that you would not want drilled and/or slotted but would want coated rotors (at least the hub like factory) to prevent rusting. If you will be comparing prices elsewhere, be sure it's Element 3 EHT (Enhanced Hybrid Technology). The non-EHT are plain ceramic and not hybrid. Good Luck.
ETA. In the past I've had good success with the better grade of Raybestos rotors. Wagner is another brand that people seem to be satisfied with. Both companies have been in the brake business like forever.

Good recommendation. I just installed a set of Wagner pads with Centric rotors (love the Centrics!) on the CX5, it's a brand I've used years ago and have had good results with, but I gotta tell you although these have a good bite to them the dust is terrible. Should've gone with the Akebono's I had on previously, which I also installed on my Scion recently with very good results over the OEMs that were on. I'll have to look into your recommendation for next time.

I completed the R&R of rear pads and rotors on my 2020 GT yesterday. It took me 4 hours but I am old and slow. The only hiccups were around getting the electronic parking brake into maintainence mode and getting the pads fitted into the carrier. The service manual process for maintainence mode (for 2018, I have 2020, maybe it's changed) just didn't work for me or perhaps I misinterpreted it. I found a video on youtube and followed that with no problem. Getting the pads into the carrier was fiddly, finally got then installed by installing the inboard pad before reinstalling the carrier and then installing the outboard pad.

The old rotors and pads were very deeply scored, presumably from a small rock that got lodged between the pad and rotor. I have driven on gravel roads and on roads covered in snow and ice that were sanded. I expected to find a rock lodged into the pad but instead there was a deep score in the pad to match the score in the rotor.

Feels good to save $600 over what my dealer wanted to charge for this work.

IMG_3838.jpeg

Back