Cut new key - where at?

ukrkoz

We live in Pacific NW. Anyone knows who can cut a 2nd key for 08 MS? I am assuming, it's a chipped key, right? So it needs to be cut and reprogrammed to match original?

Anyone can cut the key. That isn't the major issue. You might as well visit a dealer. They can cut the key (or have it cut like mine did) and program it for you. Bend over and grab your ankles: it'll cost ya $140+ to get that done.

Any key cutter will help you. It cost me $5 for the key to be cut. $50 for the actual transponder key, if I remember correctly. If you have the original key code (small metal tag) that came with your keys, it should be easy. Programming the chip part of the key is explained in your manual. Hope it helps

when i bought my car it only came with one key, but i have the original tag/code for the key that you are referring to. however, from what i remembered reading a while back when i was looking into getting a second key for my car, if you only had one key you were pretty much out of luck and would need to go to the dealer to get the second key programed. you could only program a third key if you had two originals, please correct me if im wrong because i wouldnt mind having a second/spare key, just not looking forward to paying the dealer to do it for me (even with having the key security code tag)

Yep, ya gotta have two valid keys to add a third key. Otherwise, the dealer gets his lunch-hooks into your wallet.

^ Unfortunately. he is right!! You MUST have 2 keys in order to add a third. Sorry, mang!!

To repeat what everyone else said:
-anyone can cut the metal blade of the key
-if you have only one key the dealer must program the car to work with the chip in the key
-if you have two working keys you can program in additional keys yourself (up to eight) for free in ~15 seconds
-a replacement transponder key runs ~$30 from somewhere like onlinemazdaparts (and they'll cut it for free for you), or about $15 from somewhere like dealextreme
-the dealer programming for the second key takes about 45 minutes and you'll probably be charged an hour's labor for it ($50-100 depending on the dealer)
-the dealer can look up your key cut by your VIN, you don't need the little metal tag

I recommend going ahead and getting the dealer to program the key for you (buy it yourself and save money or see if they'll price match onlinemazdaparts). Buy a second new key at the same time and program it in yourself. That way if you ever lose one of your keys you'll still have two working keys and can just add another one to get back to three keys. That way you'll never have to pay the dealer to replace a key again.

Back