Current Engine bay pics everyone

Not an issue with ITBs ;). But I know the COP conversion has been done on a KL-T Mx3, and Andy (owner) used CBR1000 coils, which is what we are using for mine. They fit under the manifold. He also used a HKS Twin Power in conjunction with it, and ran the car on MS3/MS3x.

Are those full CDI COP setups? If not, I don't see the benefit (cleaner setup, maybe?). I feel like most non-CDI COP options I've seen out there have very little energy compared to the traditional ignitor/coil pack setup.

I do not believe it is..but the ignition setup will be plenty powerful, 500+whp has been made on high boost KLs without issue on the same setup..

Aside from that..there are not really any benefits of it, per say...it is just something fun that we are doing, and it will look pretty cool. With the ITBs on though, I have more choices of coils..but the setup will be run on the car before the ITBs are on, so the cbr coils were the choice.

It's not necessarily about how much power the ignition can handle but more of "is the ignition holding you back?". Please note I have no experience with KL engines so I'm very well talking out of my ass but I know with the rotaries we get bad ignition break up at higher engine speeds with the stock ignition system or even with some other setups (LS1, LS2, etc.). The result is lower timing advance, lower redline and even worse fuel economy. Apart from going with a full CDI setup ($$$) a lot of us have been turning to high-powered coil packs like the IGN-1A (AEM now sells them under their name). Sure they're big, heavy and bulky but the power output is nearly at CDI-levels! The end result is faster, more efficient fuel burn so more power and less waste.

No I understand..I was more making the point that they didn't have any issues with spark blowing out under high boost. I believe that engine was turning ~7500rpm, without issue. Going back and forth between the coilpack and COP is not a major chore with MS3/MS3x, so if we do have issues we can go back. 10k+ rpm has been done on a KL with a coilpack before. I think we should be okay with the COP setup, but we shall see...this is uncharted territory for a KL. I have been running a coilpack setup for 5+ years now with no issue, fwiw.

Cleans up nicely once you paint the IC piping!

SAM_0139.jpg

SAM_0138.jpg

SAM_0137.jpg

Mock up of the turbo and intercooler but she's getting closer to completion.

001-2.jpg

Sucks to say, but Mazda could care less about how cleanly designed the wiring is under the hood. smh.

Neither does any other manufacturer. They set it up to be assembled as quickly as possible. Same reason on the proteges you have to pull 1 of the rear calipers to get the lower strut bolts out. The struts go on in assembly before the brakes, so they don't care that it adds time and effort to a simple strut replacement so long as everything goes together quickly. If they'd just flipped the strut bolts around there wouldn't be a problem, but that wasn't how they did it.

I just feel that when I look at a K20 and then I look at my FSDE, the K looks like there was thought and purpose for where things went. And I've never looked under the engine cover of a Mazda6's V6 but now after seeing edm's picture above, I'm just like wtf. 10 years later and the harness still looks like s***. Not that it really matters to most people so I guess that's where I'm stuck in the shadows

Back