Curb Checked CX-5

Trying to make a hard left turn on wet pavement with to much speed 🙄 ended with a pretty significant impact with the passenger side front wheel flush against the curb ..bounced off , drove home and parked (it was raining ) next day took a quick look with flashlight underneath ...nothing broken ..I could see just some rash on the wheel
however after a couple of days , some clunking noise has appeared , on acceleration from a stop or coming to a stop while driving forward or in reverse , not necessarily while turning ..alignment seems slightly out ..Where do I go from here ?

jack it up and pull the passenger side front wheel off and look at all your steering,brakes and suspension parts. get the front end in the air and have some one turn the steering wheel side to side while you watch all the parts.....that would be my first step in trying to figure out what was making the noise.

jack it up and pull the passenger side front wheel off and look at all your steering,brakes and suspension parts. get the front end in the air and have some one turn the steering wheel side to side while you watch all the parts.....that would be my first step in trying to figure out what was making the noise.
Thanks for your response ...pulled into Midas and they checked out for free ...CV axle was bad and busted the motor mount ..noise was coming from CV axle .. they were about to close so I didnt get a qoute for repairs ..call Monday im guessing around $500:cautious:..tempted to do it myself (CV axle) though Ive never done it,,,there are some youtube videos for the CX5 ..

OP,
Get a 2nd opinion.
I believe the CV joint.
Motor mount from this incident? I have my doubt.
Also, check the wheel bearing.

I would find an independent mechanic. Unless you know the people at Midas, I would look for a local repair shop. Chain stores usually dont have great techs. That is only my opinion.

OP,
Get a 2nd opinion.
I believe the CV joint.
Motor mount from this incident? I have my doubt.
Also, check the wheel bearing.
second opinion ..netted $2000 qoute ,local shop ... Lower control arm bent , and cv axle ..but no motor mount diagnosis ..of course they wanted wanted 600$ for the cv axle that I found on amazon for 150$.. and 300$ for lower control arm that I found for 80$
Think Ill go for a 3rd maybe 4th opinion ..
Im hoping that the cv axle and an alignment will solve the problem
wheel bearing causing clunking sound ?:unsure:

Be careful of the parts you find on Amazon.
Many (if not all) are cheap replacements (MIC).
Try parts on mazdaparts.org or mazdaswag.com.
They carry genuine Mazda parts.

You can identify or rule out wheel bearing issue.
Jack up the wheel.
Turn it to see if there is any noise while it is rotating.
Use both hands to wiggle the wheel to see if there is any play.

If it is true that the curb impact damaged the CV joint and broke a motor mount I would have some concern with potential damage to the transmission. Probably unlikely but I would want to check it out.

You could file an insurance claim if you have collision coverage on the car and then have a reputable Mazda dealer do the repairs.

Back