Cruise Control Radar Deactivation (2024 CX-5)

because it thought the semi you were passing was too close?
If the system thinks it was too close, it probably was!

If for whatever reason the car in front of you slams on the brakes as you were approaching to pass, there is a chance you will hit that car.

For safety, always keep your distance in proportion to your speed.

On a rural highway at 50 mph (80 kmh) I approached 2 cyclists riding in the same direction on the shoulder which is delineated by a white line.
I passed the first with no issue but the 2nd triggered the radar "spike the brakes" reaction. Not sure why, he was clearly still in the shoulder zone and not swerving, just maintaining his speed and heading.
I just about soiled myself and was very thankful that there wasn't another vehicle immediately behind me. From that unnerving occurance to this day I defeat the MRCC "Steering Wheel Type A" every time I get behind the wheel.
50 years of driving and I've never come across such a poorly thought out/executed "nanny" mode on a motor vehicle. I've never rear ended another vehicle in those 50 years either.

If you're on the gas, the emergency braking system takes a back seat. If you're maintaining speed and the system thinks you're coming too close, it'll intervene.

You have to remember that these systems aren't smart enough to account for how comfortable each individual driver is with their vehicle in close proximity to another one. Getting over earlier rather than later is the simplest way to avoid the issue you're describing.

In any event, let's circle back to the main topic, which is how to disable MRCC/enable traditional cruise control. Hopefully there's an easier way to trigger the change instead of clicking through menus. Until someone chimes in with another solution, it might be a good idea to also reach out to your salesperson to see if they know, and maybe even send an inquiry to Mazda Corporate?
This is the whole point of my thread. I, as a driver, should not have to wonder what the vehicle may or may not do going around a turn on the interstate while passing a vehicle. The option to disable the syst
If the system thinks it was too close, it probably was!

If for whatever reason the car in front of you slams on the brakes as you were approaching to pass, there is a chance you will hit that car.

For safety, always keep your distance in proportion to your speed.
I’m Not talking about that, I’m talking about interstate travel, passing a larger vehicle, I’m in the left lane, the camera suddenly thinks I’m behind too close and slams on the brakes. I thought it was strange so I googled it and found out this not an uncommon problem. After it happened to me is why I wanted to “old school” it.

In the six years and more than 70,000 km that I have used the Mazda Adaptive Cruise Control extensively, I have never experienced it slowing down or even braking for a car in the lane left or right to me. That doesn't mean it hasn't happened to others.

I personally have confidence in the adaptive cruise control in my Mazda CX-5, also because I know its strengths and weaknesses and ultimately I am the one in charge of the car.

But if you don't trust it, then you should not use it. Disable the adaptive part of the cruise control full-time with a one-time setting in the infotainment system.

But if you don't trust it, then you should not use it. Disable the adaptive part of the cruise control full-time with a one-time setting in the infotainment system.

That is exactly what he said he did, disable it in the infotainment setting. However, for his vehicle at least, he says that it is enabled again the next time he starts the car. Both you and @dunhillmc have said it's a one-time change in the infotainment menu, but maybe something changed in the 2024 model. Or there could be something wrong with the infotainment system in @propflux01's car. An inquiry to Mazda Corporate should clarify, or at least get him on the right track to a more permanent solution.

That is exactly what he said he did, disable it in the infotainment setting. However, for his vehicle at least, he says that it is enabled again the next time he starts the car. Both you and @dunhillmc have said it's a one-time change in the infotainment menu, but maybe something changed in the 2024 model.
I stand corrected!
I just checked it in my 2023 CX-5 and it turns out that it is not a one time setting.
You have to change it every time you restart the car :-(

That's a bummer!
Not for me, because I've never felt the need to turn it off.
But I agree it should be a one time setting.

That is exactly what he said he did, disable it in the infotainment setting. However, for his vehicle at least, he says that it is enabled again the next time he starts the car. Both you and @dunhillmc have said it's a one-time change in the infotainment menu, but maybe something changed in the 2024 model. Or there could be something wrong with the infotainment system in @propflux01's car. An inquiry to Mazda Corporate should clarify, or at least get him on the right track to a more permanent solution.
I don’t think it will do much, contacting corporate. Seems it’s more of a software update they need to do to correct this. They could bring back the tire pressures as well. But I will send a message up their way and inquire if there is anything they could do. This is my first Mazda after owning Hyundais since 2002. My thinking is it should be easy and a no brainer kind of thing here. All my Hyundais were very user friendly in that regard. I still love this car so far, but little quirks like this just irritate me when it’s so easy, or it’s available, and works on a brand everyone seems to call low priced junk.

Settings that are reset after the car is restarted are often safety features according to the Mazda engineers. Or are required by the government.

Well, just to add confirmation, I tested this on my '23 CX-50 when we went out to dinner tonight. I disabled MRCC through the settings menu on the way there, then checked it again on the way back and it was re-enabled. Obviously, a different Mazda model, but pretty sure the 10"infotainment systems are the same.

Well, just to add confirmation, I tested this on my '23 CX-50 when we went out to dinner tonight. I disabled MRCC through the settings menu on the way there, then checked it again on the way back and it was re-enabled. Obviously, a different Mazda model, but pretty sure the 10"infotainment systems are the same.
I can get over the re-enablement of it, just kinda crappy that I have to go through the menu just to disable it, rather than a quick long hold of a button, like my older vehicles, and as I'm learning here, earlier CX5 models.

I forgot to mention that if the Mazda Radar Cruise Control reduces your car's speed when approaching a car from behind, your car will automatically gradually increase its speed (to the set speed) while you use the turn signals. This is very useful when overtaking a car on the highway.

As noted in the review I mentioned earlier in this thread (Mazda Radar Cruise Control), the MRCC is more advanced than many people know.

I forgot to mention that if the Mazda Radar Cruise Control reduces your car's speed when approaching a car from behind, your car will automatically gradually increase its speed (to the set speed) while you use the turn signals. This is very useful when overtaking a car on the highway.

As noted in the review I mentioned earlier in this thread (Mazda Radar Cruise Control), the MRCC is more advanced than many people know.
I understand how it works, it is no different than many other vehicles I’ve driven. No need to sell me on it. The whole idea was not to have to have the car adjust the speed at all. Stay steady and let me do the passing when I deem it safe and necessary.

No need to sell me on it. The whole idea was not to have to have the car adjust the speed at all.
I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that the information in my postings was only intended for you. It's intended for all readers on this forum. The information provided is also not limited to the original question of how to turn something off, but also what the pros and cons are of leaving it on.

I'm not trying to sell you anything, I just join the discussion.
As I wrote before, if you don't trust it, don't use it!
You made your point and I agreed, turning off should be a one time setting!

I have a 2024 Mazda3 HB. I hate radar cruise control. I talked with Corporate a few months ago and they told me they turn it back on at every restart because they consider it a safety feature. What doesn't make sense to me is that there's at least a dozen other safety features that I can turn off and all of those stay off. As far as I can tell, MRCC is the only one that gets automatically re-enabled.

Bottom line, nothing we can do about it unfortunately. I disable it at the start of every drive. I've done it so many times, I can do it while driving without even looking at the screen. Even tho it's buried 3 menus deep, my right hand has memorized all the motions without me looking at the screen.

On a rural highway at 50 mph (80 kmh) I approached 2 cyclists riding in the same direction on the shoulder which is delineated by a white line.
I passed the first with no issue but the 2nd triggered the radar "spike the brakes" reaction. Not sure why, he was clearly still in the shoulder zone and not swerving, just maintaining his speed and heading.
I just about soiled myself and was very thankful that there wasn't another vehicle immediately behind me. From that unnerving occurance to this day I defeat the MRCC "Steering Wheel Type A" every time I get behind the wheel.
50 years of driving and I've never come across such a poorly thought out/executed "nanny" mode on a motor vehicle. I've never rear ended another vehicle in those 50 years either.

I don’t think this was the cruise control, more likely the emergency braking system. Most “phantom” braking are caused by the it.

MRCC is only active when cruise control is activated and set to a specific speed. Turning it off does nothing to the emergency braking system. But you can change the sensitivity of the emergency braking system in the settings.

This is not only a problem for Mazda, Honda is currently under investigation for phantom braking of its system. These systems are not perfect, but can save lives in some situations. It is important to understand how these systems works and why theybget triggered, but unfortunately they are never explained to customers.

Back on topic, I agree burying the settings to turn MRCC on and off is a big oversight by Mazda. And getting it to reset everytime the vehicle is restarted is even worse.

I don’t think this was the cruise control, more likely the emergency braking system. Most “phantom” braking are caused by the it.

MRCC is only active when cruise control is activated and set to a specific speed. Turning it off does nothing to the emergency braking system. But you can change the sensitivity of the emergency braking system in the settings.

This is not only a problem for Mazda, Honda is currently under investigation for phantom braking of its system. These systems are not perfect, but can save lives in some situations. It is important to understand how these systems works and why theybget triggered, but unfortunately they are never explained to customers.

Back on topic, I agree burying the settings to turn MRCC on and off is a big oversight by Mazda. And getting it to reset everytime the vehicle is restarted is even worse.
I am surprised Honda has the same issue. Hyundai has got it on the spot, never had any issues with the three equipped with it that I had before. Strange. I have noticed the Mazda is a bit more sensitive, like when someone is turning in front of you and you slightly go around them, but no intolerable.

I can even get over resetting it every time, just digging through the menu to do it, when it was much simpler in older vehicles just using the button, to me, is unacceptable. I am fixing to take an interstate trip with it today, so we shall see how it performs this time.

... I am fixing to take an interstate trip with it today, so we shall see how it performs this time.

These situations where you don't like how the car's safety systems are responding, or if you even see a potential situation developing, if you just press the accelerator pedal slightly you're telling the car "I got this" and continue to motor happily along your way.

In the example of passing a truck on the interstate, if you see it begin to crowd the lane line, knowing your MRCC could become unhappy about that, proactively place your foot on the accelerator and voilà ! No brake spike !

In the example of coming up on slower traffic and you want to just keep your speed up (like dumb cruise), just take over with your right foot.

If you're coming up on a cyclist, knowing the car's safety system may not interpret the situation properly, make sure you're pressing (even slightly) on the accelerator pedal.

When you're behind the vehicle that's turning, press slightly with your right foot ... You'll still get the BRAKE BRAKE BRAKE flashing but it won't spike the brakes with your foot on the gas pedal.

The following is IMHO, I'm no Mazda engineer or anything 😁 ...
The key to getting along with these safety systems is actively engaging the car in a driving style (i.e. manipulating the gas pedal, steering wheel, etc) in these situations. The algorithms programmed into the safety systems are biased to intervene more/earlier when it perceives the driver isn't reacting to the situation at hand.

IMHO, what these safety systems are, in reality, is "distracted driving aids" because [some, 🤔many🤔] people can't/won't apply the proper level of responsibility to the driving task. So automobile manufacturers driven by insurance companies (IIHS), .gov (NHTSA) have all this nanny-tech imbedded now to help keep distracted people from crashing. That's the bottom line. They are here to stay. Mazda or Chevy or Honda isn't going to go against those lettered agencies.

Just remember, the old adage rings true even with this ...

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT OUT! 😁

(And yes, I agree, a simple cruise mode toggle switch switch on the steering wheel would have been more good-er-er haha)

And they all lived happily ever after.

The End.

I am surprised Honda has the same issue. Hyundai has got it on the spot, never had any issues with the three equipped with it that I had before. Strange. I have noticed the Mazda is a bit more sensitive, like when someone is turning in front of you and you slightly go around them, but no intolerable.

I can even get over resetting it every time, just digging through the menu to do it, when it was much simpler in older vehicles just using the button, to me, is unacceptable. I am fixing to take an interstate trip with it today, so we shall see how it performs this time.

Honda reference:

For mazda the 2016-2017 CX-9 had an overly sensitive emergency braking systems. It was addressed/retuned for 2018 and up.

My MRCC has been perfect in my 2018 CX-9, it lets car merge in front of me without jumping on the brakes, but I think they may have made some changes in recent years. I see more people having issues with it recently.

The following is IMHO, I'm no Mazda engineer or anything 😁 ...
The key to getting along with these safety systems is actively engaging the car in a driving style (i.e. manipulating the gas pedal, steering wheel, etc) in these situations. The algorithms programmed into the safety systems are biased to intervene more/earlier when it perceives the driver isn't reacting to the situation at hand.

IMHO, what these safety systems are, in reality, is "distracted driving aids" because [some, 🤔many🤔] people can't/won't apply the proper level of responsibility to the driving task. So automobile manufacturers driven by insurance companies (IIHS), .gov (NHTSA) have all this nanny-tech imbedded now to help keep distracted people from crashing. That's the bottom line. They are here to stay. Mazda or Chevy or Honda isn't going to go against those lettered agencies.

Just remember, the old adage rings true even with this ...

WHEN IN DOUBT, GAS IT OUT! 😁
All I ask is the car to maintain a constant speed. That's it. It has one job. I'll handle the steering. I'll monitor all the other cars around, the road conditions, pedestrians, weather, etc. Literally everything else.

My 20 year old car's cruise control was perfectly capable of maintaining a constant speed WITHOUT me having to constantly take over and reassure the car. I just want my modern car to be as smart as my 20 year old car.

Back