EPA Mileage rating change from 2023 to 2024 CX-5?

Anyone notice the epa mileage rating changed from 24/30 in 2023 to 23/29 in 2024? I was at a dealership yesterday talking to their sales manager about this and he said he hadn't noticed it or heard anyone mention it before.

I'm aware of the CDA/iStop add in 2024, but Mazda USA shows mileage ratings with and without it. Just wondering whether anything changed in 2024 that would account for 1mpg. Maybe it's a weight thing? 3728 lbs in 2023; 3783 lbs in 2024.

I'm going to probably buy a 2023 used with low miles to replace my 2021 Carbon that was totaled - guy ran a red light and t-boned it with my wife driving. She's fine, I wasn't there. Got a check and in the hunt.

Also, anyone hear of a 2024 Carbon going OTD for $34k?

Mazda probably lists mileage with and without CDA/iStop because they have offered some units without those features due to parts shortages.

I would not worry about 1mpg probably just in how they did the testing. I do know my 2023 cx5 turbo has consistently gotten better than the mpg rating on the window sticker. If I were buying any vehicle this time of year I would always by the newest possible because you end up loosing resale value down the road..plus the wireless carplay alone makes it worth getting the 24.

From November 2023 the NA model is without CD due to parts shortages. Thats is why it shows lower mpg. Also its missing start stop too.
Which is good for people who want to buy new and without cylinder deactivation.
Until parts become available and Mazda resumes manufacturing with CD/start stop in the model.

I saw the lower mileage listing yesterday when I bought my CX 5. I was not bothered by it, because I did not want CD or I stop. It made me a happy camper.

Early 2024 models had 1 mpg higher on the window sticker. The ones made after Nov 23 show the lower rating

Sure it does!
As others here have pointed out, it gets slightly better mileage with those components in place.
No it doesn’t. The rating in 2024 is 1 mpg lower than 2023. If CD increases mpg, and some 2024s don’t have it, then you’d expect them to be the same as 2023, not worse.

No it doesn’t. The rating in 2024 is 1 mpg lower than 2023. If CD increases mpg, and some 2024s don’t have it, then you’d expect them to be the same as 2023, not worse.
Huh?

They were probably rated without CD and i-Stop, opposite of 2023.

Huh?

They were probably rated without CD and i-Stop, opposite of 2023.
Oh. So 2023 had CD and I-stop? I’m pushing on this because I’m looking for a 2023 to replace my 2021 that was totaled. I really don’t want the istop - but then again, from other threads sounds like it can be disabled. If so, then no biggie.

As for the 1 mpg, just trying to understand what, if anything, changed that would account for it. That’s all. I do notice a weight difference between 23 and 24. Maybe it’s that.

I don't know how many ways this has been said here, but to reiterate: '23s had CD only; early 24s had both CD and i-stop which resulted in slightly better fuel mileage until Mazda ran out of parts for both. At which point the mileage figures fell 1 mpg back to what they were in '23. This is not rocket science!

I have an early 24, built 11/23, Turbo. No i stop. I can't tell if it has CD.

We took a 1500 mile trip in the CX 5 T last week. 80% interstate through hills and mountains. The remained was combo small towns, windy mountain and some gravel roads. We drove from Birmingham, AL to Charlottesville, VA. and returned through Blue Ridge, GA. Endured Atlanta traffic.

We averaged 31.5 MPG, hand calculated over this trip. The stick says 22/27 MPG.

We ran 93 oct fuel, drove mostly on CC at 67 on the interstate when posted 70. On secondary roads, mostly without CC. Ambient was 65 to 85F over the trip. We let it "eat" up the mountains on CC. Dealing with traffic required slow downs and speed ups. So it wasn't steady state for long periods of time. Drove in the rain the last 250 miles.

I don't remember passing a single Mazda on the trip. Many a CX 5 flew buy me. I smile and remember it wasn't that long ago that was how I drove.

Mods: DRTuned ECU tuning, lighter wheels (40 #s lighter than stock), grounded cylinder head. Tire pressure 36 PSI with OEM Toyo A36s.

I got a revised tune 2/3s into the trip from DRTuned, installed and made a few WOT tests. This tune picked up FE about 1 MPG over the "starter" tune. I requested for David to tune CD OFF.

I've noticed a nice increase in town with the revised tune, +25. 25 MPG in town requires restraint. The tuned 2.5l T is ready to rock!

Conscious driving is good for about 30% increase in FE. Long haul truck drives get a bonus based on their FE. The best drivers get 30% better than the average drives. They drive under the speed limit, stay out of the packs, avoid braking, slow to accelerate, plan their stops and use CC.

I increased FE in my 06 2500 Dodge with a Cummins 5.9 by 30% using the above methods and adding a few bolt on mods. I developed a driving log. On trips I note how many times I have to brake, times I stop, ambient temp, wind (head, cross or tail wind) and so forth. When towing, stops eat into FE. Planned stops where it's easy to enter and exit improves FE.

One mod we added to the Turbo Inlet Pipe, turning vanes. Many owners, myself included, removed the OEM TVs. Latter I tested with and without and saw a nice gain with TVs. A member tested a 2nd set to TVs in the first 90 deg bend and saw a gain. I copied and confirmed his tests.

I plan to experiment with TVs in the TIP in the next week or so on the Cx 5. The air path to the turbo inlet is a way less than efficient. UGH

We also ran road tests with CAIs vs stock airbox/filter. We found no gains in a CAI at partial throttle or where we operate 99% of the time. Further the stock air filter filters air much better than CAI filters. I could write a chapter on air filters but will reframe. We found the aftermarket TIPs were LESS efficient than stock at partial throttle too. CAIs and aftermarket TIPs market showing gains at WOT. I don't race or plant to race our CX 5. Partial throttle test data is meaningful to me.

These 3rd Gen Rams mostly are high mileage trucks. Mine has 265K on the clock. We spend the money and time to have tight suspension like ball joints and shocks so the trucks track. Tire choice is important. We maintain stuff like belt idler and tensioner parts before as soon as we detect them. Lastly, we run fuel additives to keep our fuel injectors clean.

Most of these items apply to our Cx 5s.

I have an early 24, built 11/23, Turbo. No i stop. I can't tell if it has CD.
Both features are non-turbo only.
One mod we added to the Turbo Inlet Pipe, turning vanes. Many owners, myself included, removed the OEM TVs. Latter I tested with and without and saw a nice gain with TVs. A member tested a 2nd set to TVs in the first 90 deg bend and saw a gain. I copied and confirmed his tests.

I plan to experiment with TVs in the TIP in the next week or so on the Cx 5.
First I've heard of this--where can I find more info, pictures, etc? Thanks.

Both features are non-turbo only.

First I've heard of this--where can I find more info, pictures, etc? Thanks.
I learn something new about our CX 5 every day! I'm so happy not having i Start and CD!!

Here is a pic of 5.9 CTD turning vanes normally mounted in the elbow at the turbo air inlet. I picked up a second set of TVs and mounted in the first elbow in the TIP. Cummins/Ram did a nice job designing these TVs.

This is a graph of engine load over the same course. LESS engine load means the engine is more FE. We also confirmed the TVs hand calculating fuel mileage. Two other guys I know of did this mod and confirmed their fuel mileage increased. Some noted more low end toque. Honestly I can't feel much difference on a +600 torque at 1600 rpm, 6500 pound vehicle...

I'll make a sheet metal, one blade, TV for the Mazda's TIP soon.

For those how like to dive into the details, TVs have been around a long time in commercial and industrial HVAC systems.
https://www.amca.org/educate/articl...t-to-optimize-fan-performance-efficiency.html
Closed Damper after adding TVs.jpg

I have a section of interstate I run on CC at 55 MPH. Terrain changes enough to give a decent partial throttle test as you can see. I'm not interested in WOT data on my DD. On my drag race car, yes ONLY WOT. LOL

A CTD friend built sheet metal TVs for a gas burner and found measurable gains at partial throttle.

Ram turning vanes 2.jpg

Last edited:
Ok. They make sense if there are any sharp bends (close to 90°). The fabrication and installation of them at those points could be tricky.

Back