Consumer Reports talks Reliability

Interesting how far Acura is falling and the reported problems with the new automatics. I remember Acura TL automatics in the early 2000's had lots of problems and failures as well.

A summary of their most recent reliability survey. Mazda gets an honorable mention past the mid point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuO3_lqJIMM

There's some stupid trolls on Youtube trolling on Mazda review videos. The trolls say Mazda is ranked near last or so on JD Power and associates. JD Power uses inaccurate data since its from owners who volunteer in surveys meaning the full spectrum isn't accounted for. Not sure how consumer reports gets their data. I'd stick to sources such as Kelly Blue Book since well they help determine the resale value of cars. Resale value has direct connection with reliability. Mazda's have relatively good resale value especially CX-5s.

There's some stupid trolls on Youtube trolling on Mazda review videos. The trolls say Mazda is ranked near last or so on JD Power and associates. JD Power uses inaccurate data since its from owners who volunteer in surveys meaning the full spectrum isn't accounted for. Not sure how consumer reports gets their data. I'd stick to sources such as Kelly Blue Book since well they help determine the resale value of cars. Resale value has direct connection with reliability. Mazda's have relatively good resale value especially CX-5s.

CU sends out surveys to all of their subscribers each year. Their yearly reliability data is derived from that.

didn't really catch the "honourable mention" part ?
the guy in the middle seems to play the grumpy old man role tho ;)

CR website shows 2015 cx-5 excellent in all reliability categories, with a V Good overall score (not sure how that works - all excellent, but only V Good overall LOL)

2016 cx-5 gets a 'better than average"
Average
Based on the latest survey, we expect reliability of new models will be 35% above average

which is 5th highest

attachment.php

overall, looks pretty good
we'd definitely buy one again

looking at some detailed results, cx-5 is right up there
2nd in owner satisfaction (74%) behind the Forester (80%), and ahead of crosstrek and CR-V (both at 72%)

Last edited:
So...it ranked just as good as the 2015 Escape, based on the above graph? And the Nissan Rogue is better than the CR-V?

I just don't know if my perceptions are in line with that.

on the Reliability chart above ??
[edit: re=screened it, to include column headers]

listed top to bottom based on CR's 'forecast' of how well they'll hold up, based on "Survey Says..." ... ie Predicted Reliability
the KIA score was 56%, RAV was 55%, CX-5 35% above average

CR-V rated average for 2015 model, slightly below for 2016
Rogue below in '14, above in '15, slightly above for 2016

not seeing Escape on the above tho

and that's only the Reliability info, overall ratings are different, as are safety and other sub categories in the CR survey

disclaimer - not endorsing, supporting, yadda yadda, the CR survey - it's useful and interesting information, along with info from a variety of other sources

Last edited:
on the Reliability chart above ??
[edit: re=screened it, to include column headers]

listed top to bottom based on CR's 'forecast' of how well they'll hold up, based on "Survey Says..." ... ie Predicted Reliability
the KIA score was 56%, RAV was 55%, CX-5 35% above average

CR-V rated average for 2015 model, slightly below for 2016
Rogue below in '14, above in '15, slightly above for 2016

not seeing Escape on the above tho

and that's only the Reliability info, overall ratings are different, as are safety and other sub categories in the CR survey

disclaimer - not endorsing, supporting, yadda yadda, the CR survey - it's useful and interesting information, along with info from a variety of other sources

I could have sworn it was there before you re-screenshotted! Anyway, been wrong before.

However, I find it amusing with all the doom and gloom over Forester CVT "reliability fears" and oil burning rear-mongering, that it bested the CX-5 in reliability. They are all good CUV's, IMO, for the most part.

Is there any indication what the issues are with the CX-5? I mean is the beef really important things like the infortainment and texting while driving or unimportant stuff like the drive train?

Another point that needs to be brought up. The Honda and Toyota followers I know will live and die by Honda, Subaru or Toyota. It doesn't matter if thier car has been recalled seven times, they love it, it's perfect and will buy another when they trade this one in for another Honda, Subaru or Toyota.

We bought the CX-5 because it out performed in every respect Honda or Toyota, Subaru or any of the other half dozen or so we tried. If it doesn't hold up, loyalty doesn't either. My measure is the '06 Escape I drive everyday to work with 270,000 miles on it and I would not hesitate running to my sisters to visit two days away.

Are Mazda owners as commited or as blind or are we more realistic?

Is there any indication what the issues are with the CX-5? I mean is the beef really important things like the infortainment and texting while driving or unimportant stuff like the drive train?

Another point that needs to be brought up. The Honda and Toyota followers I know will live and die by Honda, Subaru or Toyota. It doesn't matter if thier car has been recalled seven times, they love it, it's perfect and will buy another when they trade this one in for another Honda, Subaru or Toyota.

We bought the CX-5 because it out performed in every respect Honda or Toyota, Subaru or any of the other half dozen or so we tried. If it doesn't hold up, loyalty doesn't either. My measure is the '06 Escape I drive everyday to work with 270,000 miles on it and I would not hesitate running to my sisters to visit two days away.

Are Mazda owners as commited or as blind or are we more realistic?

Brand means zip to me as far as loyalty. I buy what I think will meet my needs. That said, every brand has its zealots. It's human nature for some people.

For example, suppressors. I am a huge Surefire guy. Everyone is a zealot for SOMEthing.

I don't have access to Consumer Reports but, looking at the graphs, looks to me RAV4/CRV have much better predicted reliability (with 2015 being an exception for CRV), but maybe I don't understand the graphs.

So far, my CX-5 has not been the most reliable, just now had a transfer-case leak fixed under warranty, with some oil consumption, the windshield crack and let's not forget the hood and mirror shakes (also fixed). I don't count the USB playback fix as a reliability issue.

RE: JD Powers, they rank Mazda slightly above average, higher than Subaru and Ford but lower than Honda and Toyota.
http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2015-vehicle-dependability-study

Last edited:
I don't have access to Consumer Reports but, looking at the graphs, looks to me RAV4/CRV have much better predicted reliability (with 2015 being an exception for CRV), but maybe I don't understand the graphs.
the RAV does - forecast 53% above average reliability, and has been strong for several years
the CR-V - strong predicted reliability through 2014 model, average for 2015, and slight decrease for 2016

frankly don't see a lot of difference between/among the top ones - all have been fairly good over the years, and obviously the survey responders feel the same

Problems with the infotainment systems are counted in the overall reliability data in CR. This is what dragged the CX5's overall reliability rating down. Stuff that costs a lot of money and really matters like engine and transmission are excellent.

So far, my CX-5 has not been the most reliable, just now had a transfer-case leak fixed under warranty, with some oil consumption, the windshield crack and let's not forget the hood and mirror shakes (also fixed). I don't count the USB playback fix as a reliability issue.

How many miles did transfer case leak occur at?

Was it leaking enough to leave fluid on the ground? or was the gasket just weeping?

Any further details on your oil consumption?

Unfortunately..... IMO there is some truth to that.

Unfortunately..... IMO there is some truth to that.

Yes, I know of a few Toyota owners that will ALWAYS but Toyota no matter how the reliability changes. They can't think out of the box. Reliability changes over time with manufacturers and new lineup releases. Today's reliable vehicle can be next years lemon. Especially when they change drivetrain designs.

How many miles did transfer case leak occur at?

Was it leaking enough to leave fluid on the ground? or was the gasket just weeping?

Any further details on your oil consumption?

No kidding. That sucks. Glad I bought the 100K mile bumper-to-bumper warranty via my credit union! ($100 deductible and rest covered, per incident, totally worth it for another $20/mo, IMO!)

Problems with the infotainment systems are counted in the overall reliability data in CR. This is what dragged the CX5's overall reliability rating down. Stuff that costs a lot of money and really matters like engine and transmission are excellent.

That's why I feel Kelly blue book is the superior source in determining a car's truer long term reliability as they forecast a car's resale value years down the line. Its a resource used by banks, auto dealerships, magazines, and consumers, ect. That said didn't Mazda models rank high (some won awards) from Kelly Blue book? On the other hand ins't CR and JD Power are basing stuff from volunteered consumers for the first 90 days or so.

I
That's why I feel Kelly blue book is the superior source in determining a car's truer long term reliability as they forecast a car's resale value years down the line. Its a resource used by banks, auto dealerships, magazines, and consumers, ect. That said didn't Mazda models rank high (some won awards) from Kelly Blue book? On the other hand ins't CR and JD Power are basing stuff from volunteered consumers for the first 90 days or so.

I'd say the manufacturers who are wiling to bribe them with the largest sum will get a biased inflated rating on KBB. Having an entity like KBB telling consumers what their vehicles are worth is like predicing the weather. You'd be better off looking at the sold auctions from EBay for a more accurate prediction because at least on EBay what the consumer is willing to pay determines the rate.

Back