2017~2024 Considering a change from Subaru

A friend bought a RAV4 with the CVT last year.

I think this CVT has some " real gears" along with the belt drive.

I have 6MT, so I am distressed about the possibility I might have to buy an AT some day, but it sounds like the Mazda 6AT is one of the better ones available.
I always had manual transmissions until they became so hard to find, Mazda 2.0 not included. Even our ‘97 Outback with a 5 speed was MUCH better than our ‘09 Outback with the 4eat. The ’09 was a dog, and the suspension was horrible, even with upgraded rear shocks - and this comes from a longtime Subaru fanatic. I had that car in sport mode all the time. But when we were looking for a used Outback, I couldn’t find a manual with less than 200k on it.

The BMW X5 was the first AT that seemed to work right for me, and even then, I would often use the sport mode or select my gears in the mountains.

To my surprise, driving the CX 5 home from Colorado Springs over two mountain passes, I found I didn't really need sport mode even though it's available. I rarely have to select a gear going uphill in this car. Going down a long grade, I will still select a manual lower gear, and one of my mini-gripes about this car is that for some reason, even with the 13:1 compression, it has very little engine braking power. I have to use the brakes a little more than I like to in the mountains. I prefer to use them almost not at all. Every summer you see a vehicle or two that either overheated and lost the brakes in the mountains, or actually caught fire from overusing the brakes.

On my trip home from the Springs, I also took the opportunity to see how the car does at passing at around 9000’ when already doing highway speed of 65 or 70 mph. It's no BMW, but it didn’t hesitate at all when I put my foot in it, shifts are smooth, and it will jump to 80 or 90 with no effort.

So, I’m very happy and impressed with this transmission, and the NA 2.5 has plenty of power for me. On that trip home I got 34 mpg. I was shocked! The lovely Beemer, that I dearly loved BTW, would have gotten 18 at best. If this car holds up well, we keep our cars a long time, I’ll be a Mazda enthusiast for life.

@Jnclem I like to use the radar cruise control when I anticipate needing engine braking in the mountains. It's less hassle than trying to be in charge of the gears with the manual mode.

@Jnclem I like to use the radar cruise control when I anticipate needing engine braking in the mountains. It's less hassle than trying to be in charge of the gears with the manual mode.
I love the radar CC. Use it ALL the time, unless I’m cruising for < 1/4 mile or going downhill. On long, steep downhills, I find it uses the brakes more than I’d like. I absolutely minimize brake use on long down slopes by manually downshifting to maintain speed. Maybe it’s just a mountain thing, as I live in Colorado.

...driving the CX 5 home from Colorado Springs over two mountain passes, I found I didn't really need sport mode even though it's available. I rarely have to select a gear going uphill in this car. Going down a long grade, I will still select a manual lower gear, and one of my mini-gripes about this car is that for some reason, even with the 13:1 compression, it has very little engine braking power. I have to use the brakes a little more than I like to in the mountains. I prefer to use them almost not at all. Every summer you see a vehicle or two that either overheated and lost the brakes in the mountains, or actually caught fire from overusing the brakes.

With you 100% on this. Saw a rental truck with a smoke contrail just yesterday on the downhill slope on I70 from Lookout Mountain. Wasn’t sure whether to stay back or shoot ahead LOL. Since I was test driving a Genesis GV80 3.5T, I floored it and got way ahead.

FWIW, a Mazda salesman told me the downshifting minimal effect is due to the reduction of friction in SkyActive engines.

I'll address only a few of your questions, as I've owned Scoobi's since 2004...

Nothing in a reasonable price range and size will match your Subi in the snow. The CX5 is no better or worse than most - you'll see people tell you here how wonderful it is, well, most of these in this class are, but the Subi is it better.

Only Turbo benefits from premium gas.

Reliability about the same as most Japanese. Again, you'll get the " I've never had a problem with my Mazda" or " I hated my Subaru because" These are all individual instances that you'll find everywhere, good and bad why people will you "tell they'll never get a..." or such.

There's only 2 areas that the Mazda sets itself apart. The interior quality and that it's geared towards being more of a 'drivers car'

Bottom line, without regard to reliability, drivability or other factors, between the Subi, Mazda, Toyota, Honda, and such, I would let sole decision be based on personal preferences after looking at each. After seeing/driving each of them one of them will 'speak to you' as to tell tell you 'this is the one'. These are all too close to each other and each have benefits and drawback, but none big enough that it should be a reason to not get one

I'm in the midst of deciding between a Crosstrek and Mazda CX5. Sounds like in your experience, Subarus out perform Mazda in snow I'm in MN and handling snow is crucial. I also like the visibility the Subaru gives me front and back Mazda view felt more limited, but maybe it's something I can get used to. Not happy with the pick up on the Subaru. Mazda 2.5 give more oomph. Still don't know which way to go.

I'm in the midst of deciding between a Crosstrek and Mazda CX5. Sounds like in your experience, Subarus out perform Mazda in snow I'm in MN and handling snow is crucial. I also like the visibility the Subaru gives me front and back Mazda view felt more limited, but maybe it's something I can get used to. Not happy with the pick up on the Subaru. Mazda 2.5 give more oomph. Still don't know which way to go.

I was going to post a reply here, but I saw your other thread and posted there instead.

Hi folks, first time post here. I'm leasing a 2019 Subaru Forester Premium with a top option package that gives it the bells and whistles this trim can take. For those not familiar with Subaru, the trim levels go Base-Premium-Sport-Limited-Touring.

I live in northern NJ in part of the NYC "metro" area. My commute is generally about 50% highway and 50% "very urban, dense" city with tons of traffic and lights. I have alternate routes that are about 90% highway but are roughly double the mileage and toll roads. So, my options are drive 10 miles and deal with the city traffic or drive 20 miles and deal with tolls and extra fuel costs... and sometimes traffic as well, there's no guarantee.

My lease is up in about 12 months so I'm starting the process to look for the next one. To be honest, I have a couple things on my radar, which include the CX-5, Toyota RAV4 Prime, Tesla Model Y, and also buying out my lease on my Forester.

I've driven Subarus exclusively for the last 10 years, and I'm pretty satisfied with their performance in the snow. Their fuel economy is abysmal in city environments, and they've moved to things like CVT, Direct Injection, and Auto Start Stop technology to try to improve it.

Unfortunately, the CVT is quoted at a $9000 repair job if it fails - and there's no fluid change interval in our maintenance books. All vehicles with Direct Injection have some types of issues with carbon buildup on the intake valves - except for I think Ford and Toyota which have the dual system with port and direct injection, I'm wondering if this is an issue with Mazdas as well? The Auto Start Stop on the Subaru Boxer engine is really jarring - think of a Semi truck starting up how it rocks from side to side - that's kind of the "push" you get from the Subaru.

If I'm reading everything correctly, it sounds like you can put 93 into the CX-5 and it will gain a very little bit of performance. I'm good with that.

My biggest concerns are learning a new system since I've had Subaru for so long, and how they perform in snow. While I do live in a suburban environment, I do have to drive through snow throughout the winter months here and I'm considered essential personnel, so I have to go to work even when there's a state of emergency or roads close. I've been pulled over by local law enforcement to reprimand me about driving when there's a state of emergency and after showing my credentials they allow me along but strongly suggest I turn back.

In each situation like this, I've been able to get to my destination safely. I've never felt "out of control" in my Subaru, even in bad weather.

Also, I'd like to know any long-term maintenance gotchas for Mazda. These are new for me. I've heard bad things about cylinder deactivations on Honda and other brands and I believe the CX-5 will do this. Subaru is notorious for being bad about neglected maintenance. I'm good with my intervals, but I'm curious if the 7500 miles they suggest is a true 7500 miles, or if I should change it more often.

Thanks!
I have owned a RAV4 Prime as well as two CX5s (a 2015 Touring AWD and a 2019 GT Reserve). I prefer the CX5 turbo to the prime, and both to the N/A CX5.

-I never had any DI/carbon issues at 106K miles in my 2015, or 80K miles in my 2019 CX5.
-The NA CX5 does fine with 87, the turbo benefits from more octane.
-My CX5s did awesome in the snow. Very good. I would not hesitate to trust the AWD system for use in snow and on ice.
-Long term maintenance in a Mazda CX5 is absurdly cheap. There are no surprises. It's pretty boring, there.
-If you take short trips I'd go 5K miles, if you do mostly highway and don't get the turbo, I'd be fine with 7500.

I have a friend who loves Subaru, or did rather until he figured out just how badly they compare to other vehicles in their class, but I never really was impressed with anything he had from Subaru, to inclue a WRX, WRX STi, BRZ, and Crosstrek (his wife). Subaru is just...odd, quirky, and brings nothing to the table IMO.

I live 40 miles from work and am an essential employee, as well. My CX5 only failed me once, during an ice storm, and the hill was literally like wet glass. Terrible. Nothing was going to make that happen, as I literally could not stand up in the road without sliding/falling and sliding off.

The RAV4 Prime was ok for low speed/low throttle input, but give it the beans and the fronts overpower BADLY.

I now drive an Acura RDX because the torque vectoring diff is next level, it's quicker than the CX5 turbo/not as fast as the Prime, the interior is great, and like you, I spend a lot of time in it so I might as well really like it, and I do. The 16 speaker ELS sound system, the torque vectoring AWD, the K20C4, the 10-speed auto, the interior, all of that push it above and beyond.

Last edited:
Here is a handy quick reference guide to reliability among auto manufacturers.
While Japanese companies tend to dominate, there are three that are consistently better than the others: Lexus, Mazda, and Toyota. I tend to choose among these when buying a vehicle.

Attachments

• Most Relaible Auto Brands Jan_2022.jpg
    Most Relaible Auto Brands Jan_2022.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 90
Back