Compression problem with my 2004 Rx-8

LandinH

:
2004 Mazda Rx-8
Hello,

I have just purchased a 2004 Mazda Rx-8 about 6 months ago from a private seller.
Unfortunately though I have run into some serious problems.

I had been having the following symptoms with my car in the past few months-

- Trouble/laggy starting
- Seems over encumbered and bogged down at times
- Terrible gas mileage

I took it to the dealer where they performed a compression test and it failed.

They say I need the seals fixed, however, they also said that I should get a new engine completely because getting the seals fixed 'never solves the problem for long'.

They are quoting me at just over $5,500 with labor for the new engine.
And I am just out of warranty.

Also worth noting is the fact that this is actually not a completely new engine, but rather a refurbished one that they only guarantee for 12m/12k.

So I am asking, what should I do (new engine, just get seals fixed, or anything else)?

Also, it would be greatly helpful if anyone could help me find a mechanic that will work on Rotaries aside from the dealer.
I live in the Harrisburg, PA area, however I would be willing to travel up to 150 miles if there was someone who could do good work and get me a good price for the parts/work.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Unfortunately there are no easy answers for someone in your position. Let me try to give you as many answers as I can manage. First and foremost it sounds like the dealer that you are talking to is typical. The price they quoted you is about right for a dealership. The fact that it is a reman is also totally normal. Mazda has been doing that with our car since the first engine blew. If you do a little research you will find that the 04 model year had a lot of engines replaced. So many in fact that Mazda extended the engine warranty to 8yr/100K miles.

Replacing the seals without doing a full rebuild would not be a good solution.

I would recommend finding a buying a rebuilt motor from a reputable source. There are a bunch to choose from, but I can't think of any off the top of my head that are in your area. You will probably have to get the motor out and send it to whomever you choose since there is usually a hefty core charge. If it was me I would go with BHR. You should be able to find them pretty easily using Google.

Regardless of who you get the motor from you make sure your car has had all the ECU related Flashes to be sure that this won't happen again. If you want to be a little safer you can get an accessport and a conservative tune. It is my opinion that a good tune with an AP is the safest way to go. For the record I have 110K+ on my 8 and I have driven it across the country twice and never had a problem. I am not hard on my car, but I am not gentile either. I believe the tune has something to do with my experience.

Good luck.

Back