Clutch Pedal grinding feeling

Applauso

:
Mazda CX 5 Sport 2WD
When I'm driving and depress the clutch during a gear change I sometimes feel a scraping/grinding feeling in my foot coming up through the pedal. It doesn't do it when just pressing the clutch in and out in neutral. Anybody else experiencing this?

Last edited:
I never noticed this but now that you mentioned it, I'll check on the drive home today and let you know.

No. I have not noticed. Have you ever had a problem with the car coming out of gear when excelerating? I was climbing a hill and in 3rd gear and it popped out of gear. I re-engaged into 3rd gear and it happened again. By this time I had to put it in 2nd gear since I lost momentum. This happened a few days ago and has not happened since. I have a little over 2000 miles on my CX-5.

I've also experienced this on mine, it's intermittent for me, I tried to lube the pedal joints and pins, but the rough engagement didn't go away. I'm suspecting maybe the slave cylinder pin on the transmission housing might need some lube too? I'll look into it on my next oil change when I crawl under the car and see if that works.

It doesn't seem to cause any problems with shifting, but it's just an annoyance.
I've also got thin sole shoes that I usually wear while driving, so that might make it more pronounced in my case.

I think this should be documented by the dealer in case the transmission/clutch needs to be removed in the future. Mess to much with it yourself and they may bulk at doing warranty work. JMO. Ed

***UPDATE***

Further investigation has revealed the following:

1- In Neutral if I pump the clutch there is no scraping felling.
2- Increase the revs (in neutral) to around 1800 - 2000 rpm, Pump the clutch and the scraping can be felt.

So it only feels wrong when the engine is revving.

please test yours in the same way and see if the problem is the same as mine.

I have mentioned it to my dealer.

Hi Applauso, got your PM - don't forget mine is an automatic!

However, I originally test drove a manual and I remember being unimpressed with the clutch pedal 'action' - it didn't feel smooth, hard to explain but it felt like I could feel the spring working, I guess this might be the same sensation as your grinding.

Good luck getting it sorted, although it might just be a 'feature' rather than a fault.

When I'm driving and depress the clutch during a gear change I sometimes feel a scraping/grinding feeling in my foot coming up through the pedal. It doesn't do it when just pressing the clutch in and out in neutral. Anybody else experiencing this?

After several days of close observation, I have nothing to report. I have not experienced any issues with my clutch pedal.

For the MT owners, have any of you decided to change the transmission fluid as a break-in fluid change? Also, what transmission fluid change interval do you plan to use? I have looked at the manual but don't see any info there.
Thanks.

For the MT owners, have any of you decided to change the transmission fluid as a break-in fluid change? Also, what transmission fluid change interval do you plan to use? I have looked at the manual but don't see any info there.
Thanks.

Not sure if serious ???

I said that because with all MT cars I had, I changed it after 100K for the 1st time. ... and I drove the MT Accord unit it had 280,000 Miles then I sold it still running fine.

Do you think that MTs have gotten so much worse that brake-in fluid change would be necessary?

Back