Check engine light on at only 2200 miles

AH yes the CAN, thanks, that's what I was trying to think of..... how much did the one at SEARs run you down for?

I've been considering getting one, just because I own a speed6 and my GF has a regular 6.

It probably could have been the weather..... but it could have also been that valve actuator thingy..... there's a recall on some valve actuator, that supposedly goes haywire or doesn't work right, especially when the weather is cold.

I think you may have gotten the notices in your mail ?

I bought it December 18, 2007, so I wouldn't know if I had it long enough to register in the system to have that mail sent to me.

There were lots to choose from. I choose the 129.99, it had usb port, cd, online updates, erase the code, I belive the lowest one I saw was 39.99 and that had the list and stuff. Here's what I bought http://www.canobd2.com/Products/ToolDetail.aspx?Id=D06F4EC72CBC49B88027D26DCFF5F3EA I'm about to see if it comes out 2morrow.

nice nice, I'm a stickler for options (i like to be able to customize or do s***, even if I may never do it)

so I'd probably go for the $130 one.

Let us know if your code shows up tomorrow.

Your probably talking about CAN-OBD-II...I picked one up at sears...I cleared the code and see what happens. I expereince no power loss or anything...I bet it was the weather that caused it. It was cold that morning etc.

When I first got my car, as soon as it was below freezing for a bit and I drove my car around midnight, poof, CEL. The paper work from the dealer said "purge solenoid valve," I think the recall might have called it something a little different, but it was a recall part nonetheless.

ah yes.... that's the valve I was trying to remember.......... apparently it seems to get stuck during cold weather and doesn't close all the way or something.

The recall supposedly fixes it with a better designed valve that isn't effected by the cold weather... though I haven't had it done and there's no cold weather in FL, so I can't really give my take on that.

ah yes.... that's the valve I was trying to remember.......... apparently it seems to get stuck during cold weather and doesn't close all the way or something.

The recall supposedly fixes it with a better designed valve that isn't effected by the cold weather... though I haven't had it done and there's no cold weather in FL, so I can't really give my take on that.

Yup you are correct. It freezes and gets stuck.

Yup you are correct. It freezes and gets stuck.

did you also have that 2nd one done? I can't remember what it was for, nor can I find my papers.

I just remember coming home one day and getting 2 recalls in the mail.... one for the purge valve (i don't live in cold weather so i probably tossed them both out)

and the other I forget.

I have yet to throw a CEL on a my car. Hurray for florida huh? Though I am worried cause I love Gunther Mazda's service and I may be moving to north carolina/south carolina state border area in about a year....that's cold weather :(

well...my cel didn't pop up today...hopefully I won't see it again..knock on wood...I got a 4 hour drive later this week...gonna test the milage on this thing, highway I mean..goin to mardi gras!! show me some b00bies!!!!

did you also have that 2nd one done? I can't remember what it was for, nor can I find my papers.

I just remember coming home one day and getting 2 recalls in the mail.... one for the purge valve (i don't live in cold weather so i probably tossed them both out)

and the other I forget.

I have yet to throw a CEL on a my car. Hurray for florida huh? Though I am worried cause I love Gunther Mazda's service and I may be moving to north carolina/south carolina state border area in about a year....that's cold weather :(

Reflash and purge valve solenoid. I threw them both out since I already had both done long before the recall.

hmmmm, no I already got the reflash one reflashing the ECU due to "power loss" because of people running 91 octane.... we have 93 octane in FL so I didn't need to worry about that

I already got that one long before I got these 2.... I think they are stickied somewhere around here......

Hi

I bought Mazdaspeed 6 on Dec 15, 2007, and since then, I had two CEL problems.

The first happened at ~ 4000 km, second on 6000 km. The first for P2006 Shutter valve problem, and they replaced shutter valve. Second was purge valve, and they replaced purge valve.

over filling i don't think so i been over filling everytime i fill the tank and 44000 miles never had an issue . i know that not closing the gas cap does but overfilling is a first time i heard that . same thing with my shelby gt 500 never a problem an for me i have to fill all the way to the top . don't know if am the only one

over filling i don't think so i been over filling everytime i fill the tank and 44000 miles never had an issue . i know that not closing the gas cap does but overfilling is a first time i heard that . same thing with my shelby gt 500 never a problem an for me i have to fill all the way to the top . don't know if am the only one

I over fill too... that parts BS. Not closing the gas cap properly makes sense because if it's not sealed it creates an opening, which can cause a vacuum and causes the sensors to not read things right

But I always top off my car and the gas is like RIGHT THERE where the cap goes.... I've already got 21k miles and nothing going on with that area in my car.

I did the same thing with a '99 F150 I use to own, and that truck had 162k miles on it. Over filling sounds like a lie because either they didn't know what went wrong, or something was faulty from factory and they don't want to admit it.

I just had my car in for the traction loss light staying on and never turning off. (the light on the dashboard that shows the car with skid marks to let you know you're losing traction)

They found a TSB for a combo sensor on the car, and replaced it for me under warranty.

and then I found another TSB for a fuel rail, I'm going to take that in cause sometimes in 3rd gear when I'm driving fast it'll bog a bit before it kicks in.... almost like the fuel is dropping down and not going in the engine and then suddenly squirting in and giving me power. I'm gonna take that in and have them do it.

Last edited:
Btw, kicked off my 3rd CEL about a month ago. Needed a new MAF sensor. I wonder how long it was bad because my car would sometimes hesitate if when I accelerated especially in 3rd and 4th gear, and once the CEL came on, it happened in every gear basically if I got close to 3000 RPM. Like what Koenig described with the fuel rail. Ever since that, it hasn't happened again. Almost like a different car it's that noticeable.

Btw, kicked off my 3rd CEL about a month ago. Needed a new MAF sensor. I wonder how long it was bad because my car would sometimes hesitate if when I accelerated especially in 3rd and 4th gear, and once the CEL came on, it happened in every gear basically if I got close to 3000 RPM. Like what Koenig described with the fuel rail. Ever since that, it hasn't happened again. Almost like a different car it's that noticeable.

Maybe I should have them look at the MAF then... cause I get that hesitation in 3rd and sometimes in 4th.

My CEL came on not long after I purchased my '03 M6. I took it to the dealer and they told me it was not a critical issue. The oxygen mix was not within specs. They told me to keep driving the car and as long as the CEL was not flashing, don't worry about it. I drove the car for less than a week and the CEL went off. The car seemed to run fine during the entire time the CEL was on. The CEL has some on a few times since, but since it doesn't flash I don't worry. The light will stay on a few hundred miles of driving then go off.

About 2 months ago, the CEL came on. At that time, I had just under 200k miles on the car. The car seemed to be running ok, so I didn't worry about it. The CEL started flashing and I immediately went to the dealer. I had to replace the water pump. That's the only time the CEL flashed in 200k miles.

I'm lost you drove a 2003 model car to 200,000 miles? That's a lot of driving.

My GF's car is also the same issue, your best bet is to go to autozone or someplace like that and ask them do use their OBD-II scanner so they can SHOW you what it says, I never listen to car dealers until they can SHOW me.... they're so shady and ****** up I never go by word of mouth.

Wow that's nuts, I drive almost every day but I'd say it's more like 50 or less a day. I've only put 16k miles on my car since I've had it for just over a year.

what happened is your fuel tank vent hose goes directly back into the evap purge hose. If it is overfilled and the purge solenoid opens, it will pull fuel into the engine. When a see this code, i normally will replace the purge solenoid one time good will (these purge solenoids are prone to going bad and sticking) PM or Email with any questions i can help with

My CEL came on not long after I purchased my '03 M6. I took it to the dealer and they told me it was not a critical issue. The oxygen mix was not within specs. They told me to keep driving the car and as long as the CEL was not flashing, don't worry about it. I drove the car for less than a week and the CEL went off. The car seemed to run fine during the entire time the CEL was on. The CEL has some on a few times since, but since it doesn't flash I don't worry. The light will stay on a few hundred miles of driving then go off.

About 2 months ago, the CEL came on. At that time, I had just under 200k miles on the car. The car seemed to be running ok, so I didn't worry about it. The CEL started flashing and I immediately went to the dealer. I had to replace the water pump. That's the only time the CEL flashed in 200k miles.

Um if your CEL is on, you should take it in. Flashing CEL means something is seriously wrong and you shouldn't drive your car anywhere but the dealer, if that. Never has my CEL ever flashed and only one time it was on has it ever been a non issue where it just needed a reset. I've had 5 of them.

And again! I'm on MAF sensor number 3 currently. :/

Back