CEL issue

drewski1990

:
mazdaspeed protege 2003.5
I have a CEL for (bank 1 lean), I believe its a common issue. I already change spark plugs, both O2's and its still there. I think it could be related to my FMIC set up because when I reverted back to stock, the code went away. Also it goes away when the weather gets hot. Now that I changed it back, is back on again. The strange thing is, it never threw any codes before until recently. Has this happen to anyone, if so what did you do to?

P0171? That's a vacuum leak and it could be from a lot of things, split vac line, leaking exhaust mani, torn WGA diaphragm, boost leak in the piping, inj seals leaking, dirty MAF etc etc.

Yes P0171. Thank you for the info, Imma begin diagnosing from the fmic setup. I clean the MAF before and seem to be working properly with the stock setup, but anything is possibility. What are some signs or symptoms of a faulty MAF sensor?

Start looking for vacuum leaks, you are barking up the wrong tree assuming the sensors are bad first.

I had this setup running fine for nearly a year. All of a sudden it came on so that lead me to believe it could've been a faulty sensor. I guess not..... Yeah, Im going to soap bubble each connection, hopefully thats it.

I do smell a small amount of gasoline fume at cold start, seems like its coming from the exhaust mani. Cast iron cracks with age and wear, is this a common problem on the MSP as well?

Stock exhaust mani cracking and leaking? Common on the MSP? lol yeah I'd say so. I would check all the vacuum lines and IM gaskets, etc. Is the VC vent for the PCV hooked to the intake or is there a filter on it to atmosphere?

That's what is causing the light, I have had mine setup like that for a long time and after a while it threw a CEL for it because it is detected as a leak to the ECU. If you use propane gas in a bottle to spray around the engine bay while it runs you can more easily find leaks.

How did you fix it? I think I still have the stock vacuum line that I can use, but doesn't that mean you need to weld a little nipple on the IC pipe to connect the line? Would you mind taking a pic of your setup, a visualization of it will help me understand better.

The vent must run to the intake before the turbo, you don't want it on a charge pipe. I have a filter just like you do and the filter is dirty enough that it stopped throwing the light after a couple years. If your MAF is relocated there is nothing you can do, there is no way to meter the air for the PCV vent and the ECU sees a leak.

My MAF is indeed relocated. There's no remedy to this setup? Do other people have the same issue though?

I would assume they do, they just don't know why. Mine stopped throwing the light eventually

the remedy is to get a millenia S PCV and run it the right way. those are much better at protecting against blow-by and negate the need to VTA.

Back