Car won't start after running with a quart of oil over

Thread closed and cleaned. Being confrontational and or bullying is unacceptable behavior on Mazdas247.

Also note that a record of infractions/warnings is maintained and if you’ve been warned in the past and continue to ignore/break rules, your account will be permanently banned without any further warning.

If you wish to express a difference in opinion here, do so in a civil and constructive way.

CTt3P5 was one of those people who bent a valve when his timing belt snapped.

I did open the engine on my parts car to investigate and remove a piston.

View attachment 308105View attachment 308106View attachment 308107View attachment 308108View attachment 308109View attachment 308110View attachment 308111View attachment 308112View attachment 308114
Thanks for taking the time to share. Is the engine the ex, FSD type of engine, do you know? From my VIN engine lookup, that is the exact type of engine, and can't quite get an exact answer if it's a non interference. Should I ask the mechanic to manually turn the camshaft to see if there is any"hit"? At this point, I'm looking to spend 600 dollars to install new timing belt and water pump. If that doesn't fix it, then I'll have to replace engine, basically putting an extra 600 dollars on top of replacing the engine cost which is prob going to be 3000 at least? I just want to know if my valves are in fact bent, and how to go finding that out for cheap before investing. Thanks for your time, I appreciate it. This is all new to me.

I can't remember if I added that when the belt broke, I heard a little clanky noise, along with a slight jolt. Would that mean valves hit the cams, or possibly just the belt flapping against something when it broke?

All Protege5's in North America have the same engine.

And as mentioned our engine is supposed to be a non-interference engine.

If you weren't over revving your engine at the time it broke, then you almost certainly have no engine damage.

I am personally not going to replace my timing belt again until it snaps. (if my car lasts that long?)

If I were you I would take the very slim gamble and simply replace your timing belt.

I've never snapped a belt so I don't know what it sounds or feels like, but the belt will slap around, and the tensioner spring usually goes flying around.

Would that mean valves hit the cams,..

On an interference engine, if the timing belt snaps, some valves may stay open then the piston comes up and hits the valve bending it.

On a non-interference engine the pistons can never hit the valves because there is always clearance between the valves and pistons, even if the valves are open.

Last edited:
Yea, I'm just getting timing belt and water pump replaced, hopefully that's all it will take. I'm nervous of course, and should know in the next couple of days if that fixes the issue. Thanks again, I'll update this once I get the news.

Yea, I'm just getting timing belt and water pump replaced, hopefully that's all it will take. I'm nervous of course, and should know in the next couple of days if that fixes the issue. Thanks again, I'll update this once I get the news.

I think your good
I Googled this,..

Screenshot_20220308-161650_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20220308-161633_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Make sure that you can trust your mechanic.
There's a lot of BS surrounding this issue.

Maybe send your mechanic this link before he does the job.
There is a lot of useful information.

Last edited:
Back