Can Someone Tell Me What Is Going On With My Car???

SaaBaaDoo

:
2007 White Diamond Pearl Acura TL Navi
Hopefully somebody will be able to give me an idea of what is going on here.

I have already read all about the throttle hesitation issues on here but this is a little different.

When I first get in my car and start driving home from work, I let it warm up a bit, then I enjoy the pickup it has when the turbo kicks in, normal right? So why is it when I get near home, about 20 miles, I hit a stoplight, 1st is good, 2nd...hit the gas and the car has more balls before the turbo kicks in then after???

Anyone have any idea what the hell is wrong here??

Strange. My car hits the top end of 2nd gear so fast its way too easy to hit the rev limiter. Once the turbo kicks in, its a scary ride to redline!

Welcome to the over rich fuel mixture club :).. When the car is cooler, a rich condition doesn't affect it as bad, once it is hot it is like driving a damn Yugo..

On the cheap, simple, effective route- get a K&N (I will post a part number soon), remove the weather stripping from the cowl to let some of that heat out and try my FP reduction kit. I had to put my car back to stock for warranty work and when I swapped everything back into it, WOW- I forgot how far those few simple mods took it!!

For more power, you can also use an MBC to increase boost a bit and wake the thing up greatly.. One guy got 34 WHP from an MBC and K&N and not xsivspd (sp?) got 77 from MBC, K&N and exhaust.. A turbo car is all about airflow...
Joe

kwiktsi said:
Welcome to the over rich fuel mixture club :).. When the car is cooler, a rich condition doesn't affect it as bad, once it is hot it is like driving a damn Yugo..

On the cheap, simple, effective route- get a K&N (I will post a part number soon), remove the weather stripping from the cowl to let some of that heat out and try my FP reduction kit. I had to put my car back to stock for warranty work and when I swapped everything back into it, WOW- I forgot how far those few simple mods took it!!

For more power, you can also use an MBC to increase boost a bit and wake the thing up greatly.. One guy got 34 WHP from an MBC and K&N and not xsivspd (sp?) got 77 from MBC, K&N and exhaust.. A turbo car is all about airflow...
Joe
what is this weather stripping you removed?? and what is the "cowl"?? and this FP reduction kit you speak of... explain..

oh,, and you are talking about the K&N cone filter yes? not just the drop in right?

OK-
1) (and 2)- the weatherstripping is along the cowl at the backside of the engine bay. If you open the hood, you will see it above the firewall in front of the wipers.. This is there mainly to keep underhood noises, well, under the hood :)..

3) The FP reduction kit I have is mentioned here- http://woot.systemcrash.org/vbb225/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20809 -it is a bleed kit I desngned to help reduce the fuel pressure a bit from stock while under boost to help take the edge off the overly rich condition and make the car perform better. It does not get rid of all the hesitations, but it defiantely helps quite a bit.. Also, I designed it so that nobody would really notice it wasn't OEM- I had my car at the dealer today and the tech had to remove the hose to do someting and he didn't even know it wasn't stock :)..

4) yes, a K&N cone filter. A drop in will help, but the box it pretty restrictive also and the only way to get decent flow would be to cut away at the bottom- and I know most of you guys like to leave the stock items intact.
Joe

Joe,

Should I install a boost gauge before buying and installing your kit?

SaaBaaDoo said:
Joe,

Should I install a boost gauge before buying and installing your kit?

Boost gauge for the MBC, not the FP reduction kit. I was recommending an A/F gauge before doing the kit, but all the test cars have shown to still be on the "safely rich" side, so I'm not as concerned about it..

Just to prove a point in an argument in another thread where I said higher temps are good for taking at least 20 whp due to this mixture.. What is your input? Notice how cool it runs great, hot I have heard of MP3's hanging with these things :).
Joe

oh yeah, I agree totally! At cooler temps the car runs awesome besides a little throttle hesitation. But...after the car warms up for a while, it's like having no turbo at all. The only way I can tell there is a turbo is because I can hear it! Other than that, like I said earlier, I think the car actually accerates harder and faster before the turbo starts kicking in!

I have an appt. with the mazdaspeed tech where I bought it to paint my rotor hubs and replace a couple lugnuts that are rusting...( I know, it's a little anal, but it's brand new!) and for the throttle hesitation. I am hoping they will have a fix on the ecu relatively soon!

I was thinking of having a couple of the lugnuts replaced on mine too- rust :(..

I spoke with the Mazdaspeed Tech at my dealer about the over rich mapping and how the car makes no power when hot, etc. and he had the "don't you think Mazda did that for a reason" type of response.. I don't care what the reason, if it is to keep the motor together, then they never should have turboed this motor.. It is pure BS that a car would leave the factory running like this!!!
Joe

Hey SaaBaaDoo,

Since your in MD, what dealer did you get you speed from? B/C that means the fix is relatively close by, if not at my dealer.... :D

Shaefer and Strohminger Mazda
Towson, MD

What do you mean when you said "the fix is relatively close by, if not at my dealer...." Are you saying they have a fix now?

I hope there will be a day when we can all look back and smile, knowing that our cars are running like they should've in the first place! Regardless of how we get there, I hope that day comes soon...

hopefully that day will be sooner than later otherwise I will be soon saying **** mazda and getting a stand alone FMS!

SaaBaaDoo said:
hopefully that day will be sooner than later otherwise I will be soon saying **** mazda and getting a stand alone FMS!

That is where Mazda and the MSP will say **** you back :). The stock ECU has it's "hands" in EVERYTHING- from the gauges to controlling the Alternator!!! I was half tempted to leave the ECU there with certain wires still hooked up and tapping a stand alone in where it needs to be so that the ECU will still handle the gauges and alternator (although it will throw a CEL :) ) and the standalone will do everything else..

Perfworks is working on a piggy back unit that should give us all the control of a standalone, yet be friendly to our ECU. I am just giving some feedback here and there as to what we need it to do and I will be testing one on my car shortly. We will keep everyone posted.
Joe

SaaBaaDoo said:
Shaefer and Strohminger Mazda
Towson, MD

What do you mean when you said "the fix is relatively close by, if not at my dealer...." Are you saying they have a fix now?

No, no.

What I meant was my dealership has not heard of the problem, and no one else has taken thier speeds into my shop. I think I'm the only one on this board to go there, besides 1 other whom doesn't frequent this board b/c he is selling it to mod his mustang. Since you've already started the dialogue w/ your dealer, I might just take a trip up there if my guys keep giving me a hard time.

-fnny

Damn Joe! Is there anything you are not trying to do to your car...lol That's Awesome!

Hell yeah funnylittlman!

I think the more people we can get into one dealership will make the service department realize that there is a problem with the ecu. I have read some of the other threads on here about inquiries to mazda and supposedly they assigned a case number to the issue.

If the tech gets and and drives my car after I drop it off and says that it is turbo lag or there is nothing wrong with it....he is smoking crack. My car LITERALLY is quicker BEFORE the turbo spools than when it is whistling away!

I agree with Saabaadoo, the turbo sucks when it starts to whistle and over spool. They said that Mazda knows about the problem and did not say anything to me about LAG. I guess it depends on how you describe the problem.

Back