Need help with turbo and exhaust issues

*warning, i do NOT have very much technical knowledge of working on cars, have a strong desire to learn more to be able to work on and perform upkeep on them. so i really don't know any technical terminology or anything, so please don't get upset if i ask what you mean or can't explain what i'm talking about well.*

I have a 2003 mazda protege mazdaspeed that i recently bought used. the previous owner had installed a massive front mounted intercooler, a 3 inch exhaust pipe upgrade behind the CAT and the sensor. i'm not completely sure what else has been done to it as of right now.

Now, on to the problems.
1: On the exhaust between the CAT and the sensor the pipe has completely broken. a mechanic that i took it to said there were other issues with it as well and that the best course of action would be to get a whole new exhaust system.

1-A: for a new exhaust system what/where should i start looking for?

2: the turbo doesn't work, produce any boost, mech said the turbo isn't seized so problem might be with the wastegate. Also apparently there is a hole in the charge tube. the mech wasn't able to make time to look at it before i had to take it back so its something i'll have to look at myself.

2-A: a car buddy of mine who knows considerably more about cars then i do suggested simply replacing the turbo system. if i was to do this i'd like to know what options i have for a system that isn't necessarily stock maybe a small step up but not anything crazy. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hey there, not sure if you're still having issues but:

For the exhaust system get the car up on jacks (safely with jackstands) and grab some pictures of under the car where the exhaust is broken. Usually you can weld a broken exhaust but if it's too rusted you may need to look into other options.

Also with a no boost condition, it could be a lot of things like exhaust leak before the turbo (check the exhaust manifold for cracks) or more likely the C clip that holds the wastegate actuator to the wastegate itself has come off. Aka the wastegate actuator is disconnected.

A boost leak would also cause the car not to build boost but I would check the wastegate actuator first. Grab pictures of that as well so we can guide you further

If the wastegate is stuck open you will not make boost. If there is a hole or leak I'm your intercooler piping you will not make boost.

If all you need is to get the car back on the road even a shop like midas can fab up an exhaust pipe. From the stock downpipe back to the muffler with stock or a bit bigger is not much at all in my experience.

If you have plans for tuning the car down the road to make more power and can live with noise then look at getting a 3" system made up custom or buy one either used from a forum member or new if anyone still makes them.

Cheers

Back