Cam Shaft

mazda_1999

:
Mazda Protege 1999/Mazda Protege5 2002
Hey I am looking into buying a set of cam shafts. Any thoughts on a set I should buy? I have a 1.8L. I am just testing waters on this motor right now. I am planning on doing a turbo build on this motor soon.

Ok, your options:

the 1.8L and 2.0L heads are identical...but the 1.8L does have different stock cams...everything mentioned below can work well with eventual turbo charging...the factory options don't really require cam gears with or without a turbo, but the custom cams at the bottom are very aggressive, and pretty much require cam gears to dial in overlap depending on when and if a turbocharger is utilized...sorry for the length, but this is pretty much all of it...

The japanese FS-ZE 2.0L engine has a intake cam with mildly more duration...Many of us have run these for years, and while its sutble...its a decent upgrade for upper rpm breathing...

a special edition 'MPS' in Japan had a 'mazdaspeed' exhaust cam, which was to complement the ZE's intake cam, and went with a factory 4-2-1 header...it matched its duration...also adding an additional 3 degrees of overlap...these 2 cams together are noticeable for higher rpm...but are still generally very mild, and won't effect idle or anything like that...

corksport.com sells the factory ZE intake cam (i also have one i may be selling shortly, if you're interested)...and a custom exhaust cam made to the mazdaspeed exhaust cam specs...Its worth noting: The 'mazdaspeed' exhaust cam IS NOT from the US based mazdaspeed protege...and finding a 'real' mazdaspeed exhaust cam is nearly hopeless now, as those were production limited...the corksport offering is identical for the most part, and cheaper anyway...

another option, if you happen to find 2 used ZE intake cams...the ZE intake cam and mazdaspeed limited edition exhaust cams...are 100% identical spec wise...the single difference is the dowel pin location on the exhaust cam...the pin is position 180 degrees from the intake's location...so that it can be used and timed correctly as an exhaust cam...so if you find 2 ZE cams for cheap, you can relatively easily have a shop drill and pin the opposite side of the gear face for one of them...and be all set...

After that...its all either custom cams to whatever spec you want...or getting lucky and finding a set of twiggy's or integral cams..of which about 20 sets of each have circulated the forums over the years...They're not cheap, and not really 'drop in'...as they both require a good idea of what you're doing, an adjustable set of cam gears to properly get the powerband where you need it...and pretty much no matter what will kill idle quality...some of us love that, but some will hate it...

hope that helps, man...

Last edited:
Who can hate a choppy idle? Sounds sexy especially on a v8, but on a 4 cylinder it always gets some attention

Women don't count. As long as it starts and drives its ok. Blinking lights, bald tires, grinding brakes, any other weird noise doesn't affect them so why would a choppy idle?

No problem. Video was like five years ago already. I guess the sound is kinda crappy, but you can still get an idea of how it was.

Latest posts

Back