CAI noise???

atw777

:
Mazda3s, winning blue, AEM, 5 sp
Just took my 04 Mazda 3 into the dealer again for a knock in engine compartment in 4th and 5th gear. First they said it was fuel and now they say that since it has an aftermarket CAI(AEM) they can't do warranty work. Has anyone else had problems with knocks from aftermarket CAI??? Or is the intake? It's a pretty anoying knock but only present during acceleration. Help!

I had the same problem when i first installed mine it was kinda like a loud flapping noise to me. But what i did was grounded the throttle body with some eight guage wire. Ever since i havnt herd it.

it may not be the CAI making or causing the noise. Just the fact you have one voids your warranty thats most likely why you were turned away.

zoom-pixy-zoom said:
it may not be the CAI making or causing the noise. Just the fact you have one voids your warranty thats most likely why you were turned away.

Technically, that's only true if the CAI causes the problem. They have to prove that your modifications have caused the issue in question.

In reality, they will deny you warranty service just because "you been messin' with stuff".

Honestly, I can't think of any way a CAI can cause a knock in the engine compartment but obviously I can't hear it from here so who knows.

At the very least, they owe you an explanation about what the problem is and how your CAI caused it.

goldwing2000 said:
You have ATX or MTX?
it's a manual tranny. it only does it in 4th and 5th gear. i would say it's more of a ticking noise than a knock but still it's annoying.

All I can think of is that it might be making contact with something. (dunno)

Put the stock airbox back on and see if still does it. If it does, THEN take it to a different dealer and make them fix it.

it's an AEM. Someone told me to try disconnecting + on bat to reset the computer and that seemed to help out a little. Still does it in 4th but not in 5th like before.

Seems to me that a cold air intake could causing knocking if the MAF housing diameter is larger than stock, resulting in leaner running. I don't know if the AEM intake has this issue, and I don't know if that's what's going on here, but I wanted to throw it out there for consideration.

so if the MAF is bigger than stock what is the solution to it? none? does any one else with a CAI on their 3 have that problem?

no..the problem most people have with it is when the MAF wires tug and cause a CEL to come on

BC3I said:
no..the problem most people have with it is when the MAF wires tug and cause a CEL to come on

I have heard of instances of certain cold air intakes that, in the name of increased air flow, make the MAF housing larger than stock, which will result in leaner running (because the MAF is not reading correctly, anymore). I'm pretty sure that the K&N Typhoon is one of those with this particular problem. I don't know that it necessarily causes CEL, and obviously doesn't for everyone, but Walter Marcy of Marcy Motorsports is one of the people who pointed this out, I believe specifically for the K&N Typhoon.

As far as I know, if you have a cold air intake that has a larger than stock MAF housing, there's nothing you can do about it except: (1) live with it and risk damage to your engine if it really is experiencing knocking (seems odd it would be that bad, and I would think the knock sensor would reduce timing to eliminate spark knock, reducing power); (2) buy a different cold air intake (I know that my F2 intake has a stock-size MAF housing); (3) get your car retuned for the difference in MAF housing size; or (4) put your stock intake back on.

Chibana said:
I have heard of instances of certain cold air intakes that, in the name of increased air flow, make the MAF housing larger than stock, which will result in leaner running (because the MAF is not reading correctly, anymore). I'm pretty sure that the K&N Typhoon is one of those with this particular problem. I don't know that it necessarily causes CEL, and obviously doesn't for everyone, but Walter Marcy of Marcy Motorsports is one of the people who pointed this out, I believe specifically for the K&N Typhoon.

As far as I know, if you have a cold air intake that has a larger than stock MAF housing, there's nothing you can do about it except: (1) live with it and risk damage to your engine if it really is experiencing knocking (seems odd it would be that bad, and I would think the knock sensor would reduce timing to eliminate spark knock, reducing power); (2) buy a different cold air intake (I know that my F2 intake has a stock-size MAF housing); (3) get your car retuned for the difference in MAF housing size; or (4) put your stock intake back on.

Since you have an F2 CAI do you know if it can be converted into a short ram??? (I dont wanna run my car with a cold air in the winter time)

payne said:
Since you have an F2 CAI do you know if it can be converted into a short ram??? (I dont wanna run my car with a cold air in the winter time)

No, it can't, but I live in Michigan, and I'm not worried. The air filter curves back up, and it's encased in the underbody plastic shield, and the front wheel well cover.

Back