Brake Help.........

P5LawnMan

Contributor
:
2003 protege 5
Can't get pistons to release on my P5 2003. Changed rotors had to put old pads back in. Help please...... Thanks

i JUST changed my brakes. i had the same problem.you need to get something to push your pistons in.

a clamp or anything. i used a random clamp type tool which i dont even think is used for that.

you cant push it in yourself you need some sort a tool. but basically push your piston in

yeah a c clamp works well..put something between the piston and the clamp like a peice of wood.. or somethin. thats what i was told. and it worked for me

if you are doing the rears, there's a how to....you have to take an allen key to a place on the back side of it to spin them in...

edit: make sure you take the cap of the brake fluid resevoir

now that i think of it. doesnt one set spin and one push in....or am i thinking of anohter car.

ah someone answered it already i knew our breaks were retarted.. lol cause i was spinning my fronts for like a half hour untill i realized they needed to be pushed in the first time i did em

now that i think of it. doesnt one set spin and one push in....or am i thinking of anohter car.

just about every car with 4 wheel disk: the front set just pushed in, the rears have to spin in some way. some use a special clamp with interchangeable disks(you can pick up the set at harbor frieght etc) or with the p5s you use a allen key or hex key on a bolt that pulls them in this is due to the parking brake being part of the caliper

The caliper bleeder screw should be opened to drain the caliper when pushing the piston in. It's not a good idea to push old contaminated fluid back into the master cylinder.

Clifton

The caliper bleeder screw should be opened to drain the caliper when pushing the piston in. It's not a good idea to push old contaminated fluid back into the master cylinder.

Clifton

That's debatable. I have talked to a number of mechanics on both sides of this camp - some argue what you're saying about contaminated brake fluid, while others say that as long as your piston seals are in good condition, you could do more harm than good (e.g., letting air in the lines, stripping bleeder screws, etc.)

I'm not gonna go either way on this debate - I just think it's best left up to the individual driver.

well it's a good idea to change the fluid every now and then any ways.....i'm gonna have to change my pads soon and i'm planing on doing the fluid at the same time soooo.....no worries there

well it's a good idea to change the fluid every now and then any ways.....i'm gonna have to change my pads soon and i'm planing on doing the fluid at the same time soooo.....no worries there

I definitely agree with you on that - I change my brake fluid every 2 years on my car, which is my DD. I suppose yeah, if you never change your fluid, then it might be a good idea.

Back