Rear brake help (Protege5)

So, I got the caliper off & got the new pads on. Then I needed to get the piston compressed, I found out that I needed to remove the 14mm bolt to get to the Allen screw. I turned it to the left & tried to compress the piston & it didn't move, so I turned it to the right & it didn't move! I keep turning & trying to compress, eventually the DAMN Allen screw came out!! Am I screwed? I feel like no matter how many times I put it back in & turn I'm not getting anywhere.

Try screwing in your piston.

Make sure that your dust boot isn't stuck to the piston.
Go around the boot lip with a tiny screwdriver or dental pick to free it.

Grab the piston with a pliers and thread it in.
I believe you rotate clockwise to thread it in.

If that works and you need to set your piston, get in your car, step hard on the brake and pull the P-brake handle until it tightens up.
It might take 50 or more pulls of the handle.

If all that works then you know that your brakes are set and that your self adjusters are working.

They probably are working because your piston did move out with your old pads.

You're supposed to set the brakes by threading the adjuster screw until it stops then back it off ⅓ of a turn, but it sounds like your adjuster is stripped.

Screenshot_20220910-154921_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Last edited:
Check your parking brake after you're done.

Screenshot_20220910-160821_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

If there are too many clicks on the handle, your P-brake may not hold the car.
If there aren't enough clicks, the self adjusters don't have enough movement to get them to ratchet out as the pads wear.

Cables stretch over time and you may need to tighten up your parking brake lever.

Try screwing in your piston.

Make sure that your dust boot isn't stuck to the piston.
Go around the boot lip with a tiny screwdriver or dental pick to free it.

Grab the piston with a pliers and thread it in.
I believe you rotate clockwise to thread it in.

If that works and you need to set your piston, get in your car, step hard on the brake and pull the P-brake handle until it tightens up.
It might take 50 or more pulls of the handle.

If all that works then you know that your brakes are set and that your self adjusters are working.

They probably are working because your piston did move out with your old pads.

You're supposed to set the brakes by threading the adjuster screw until it stops then back it off ⅓ of a turn, but it sounds like your adjuster is stripped.

View attachment 312935
I eventually got the piston to go in by screwing it, but I do believe the Allen screw is stripped. I put it back in & no matter what I do it doesn't feel like it is grabbing to anything.

Check your parking brake after you're done.

View attachment 312937

If there are too many clicks on the handle, your P-brake may not hold the car.
If there aren't enough clicks, the self adjusters don't have enough movement to get them to ratchet out as the pads wear.

Cables stretch over time and you may need to tighten up your parking brake lever.
I do have issues with the E brake now, I got frustrated & got everything put back together & will have to revisit the E brake next week

Don't mess with the P-brake handle adjustment yet.
Push and hold your brake pedal in, then push and hold the button on your P-brake handle in, then pull the handle a whole bunch of times.

That does what turning your adjuster screw is supposed to do.

The rear brake adjustment sets your brake pedal height, and your brake pedal will have extra movement in it until the adjustment is set.

Your next step is easy and takes 2 minutes.
Don't wait till next week. Your brakes will feel spongy until the adjustment is set.

Once your P-brake handle tightens up and starts to grab is when you count the clicks and adjust the P-brake handle.
That part can wait until next week.

Here's a couple pictures of the adjuster mechanism,..

This is the connection point for P-brake cable.
It needs to have full movement on it to allow the ratcheting mechanism to push the piston out.

My P-brake cables were seizing up and the spring on that connection point wasn't strong enough to pull the wire through the cable, so I added a spring to pull the wire back into position until I got new brake cables.

My brake piston was in pretty rough shape. Lol
Life in the rust belt.

Don't mess with the P-brake handle adjustment yet.
Push and hold your brake pedal in, then push and hold the button on your P-brake handle in, then pull the handle a whole bunch of times.

That does what turning your adjuster screw is supposed to do.

The rear brake adjustment sets your brake pedal height, and your brake pedal will have extra movement in it until the adjustment is set.

Your next step is easy and takes 2 minutes.
Don't wait till next week. Your brakes will feel spongy until the adjustment is set.

Once your P-brake handle tightens up and starts to grab is when you count the clicks and adjust the P-brake handle.
That part can wait until next week.
Sounds pretty easy, I'll give it a try this morning!!

Thank you

Reactions: pcb
Back