Stiff brake in the morning and no emergency brake...Help

Hi everyone,

I have a P5 that l love and want to start restoring it but first need to address a few issues that are high priority.

I had an emergency brake issue for almost 4 years, when l pull lever it after parking it works but overnight brake gets loose. I was told some hose was losing vacuum but locate the part with issue.

And recently, my pedal brakes get stiff overnight but loosen up after l start the car. I researched and found out check valve might be issue. However, l cant locate this check valve for some reason…

Any help is appreciated. I attached a photo of brake booster.

Thanks,

N

Attachments

• 9E7265B5-1A01-4994-A8EF-83A1E4FC210A.jpeg
    9E7265B5-1A01-4994-A8EF-83A1E4FC210A.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 54
The check valve is inside the vacuum hose going from the booster to the engine.
Remove hose. Blow into the hose from the booster side. You should be able to blow only in this direction. If you blow from the engine side towards the booster and can blow air, the valve is bad. Vacuum should only go from the booster, not back into it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230412-085555~2.png
    Screenshot_20230412-085555~2.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 52
The check valve is inside the vacuum hose going from the booster to the engine.
Remove hose. Blow into the hose from the booster side. You should be able to blow only in this direction. If you blow from the engine side towards the booster and can blow air, the valve is bad. Vacuum should only go from the booster, not back into it.
Oh this helps a lot, l didnt know check valve was actually inside hose. Seems like an easy fix. Do you think this is what affects my parking brakes as well?

Back