Boost Spike!! Need Advice...

bigdaddy

Contributor
:
Mazdaspeed 3, True Red
So, as the thread title says, I have recently noticed some boost spike-age occurring. Today, I was taking a gander at my Dashhawk and noticed that I am seeing spikes of about 1 psi or so in like 2nd-4th, but once I hit fifth, at WOT, I saw 20 once or twice. And no, I do not got WOT in higher gears at low RPM, it was like 4k or 4.5k that I was seeing 20, but just for a split second. Should I be concerned? I mean, I know that things like Intake and exhaust can affect this, but this much?? Anyways, you can see my mods in my sig.

Thanks guys, any input would be appreciated.

you need a good tune or a proper MBC setup. this little ass turbo spools up so fast that with a few breather mods on it, it will easily overshoot its target before the stock boost solenoid can open the WG and pull it down

To be honest, I'm still under warranty, and I don't really want to go with either route. I am going to put the stock mid pipe back on this weekend, and see how she does. My guess is that putting it back on will help some. The other thing I noticed is that it only spikes 20 in 5th. 4th at WOT spikes at 17 and hold about 16. So that's normal.

There will be those who disagree with what I'm about to say, but this is based on my own experience and I respect views that may differ:

I do not think that boost spikes to 20-21 psi are harmful if they are very quick, transitory, occur when first going to WOT and the boost immediately settles to your target and then holds there.

If the weather is cool outside, a spike could get you some slapping around from fuel/load cut. Some would argue that the violent shake to the engine from closing of the injectors could produce some harm to the engine internally over time. I don't know if this is true.

But if you are not getting cut and the spikes are momentary, I do not think there is anything to worry about.

It's been happening to me since I went with the catless dp/rp and that's been over 20,000 miles ago. But this is just my personal experience and my sense that momentary spikes that immediately settle to target do not seem to be harmful phenomena.

Agreed. Spiking is obviously not preferred but frankly everyone with this car spikes with mods. Spiking to 20 is not bad at all. Right now im having my car tuned and im often holding 20 psi lol. Getting it fixed but you should be fine. Especially if your holding only 16 psi.

yeah, this is a good point. I know that spiking has to be factored in because no turbo car can ever produce exactly 100% on target boost at all times. The computer accounts for differences in atmospheric pressure, temperature, and engine conditions. I'm glad that you guys didn't automatically go insane like many people may have.

Thanks for the help

LOL!!! Like I said, damn that Dashhawk, you're gonna start worrying about everything now! Spikes are fine. Hell, even if you're holding 20 psi, you're fine, as long as you're not knocking, and as long as you're not super lean.

I'd recommend using the 2 Bar display, and monitor Boost/Vac on top, and Actual AFR on the bottom. As the boost goes wide, the afr should go low to the 12's.

LOL!!! Like I said, damn that Dashhawk, you're gonna start worrying about everything now! Spikes are fine. Hell, even if you're holding 20 psi, you're fine, as long as you're not knocking, and as long as you're not super lean.

I'd recommend using the 2 Bar display, and monitor Boost/Vac on top, and Actual AFR on the bottom. As the boost goes wide, the afr should go low to the 12's.

haha, yeah, so true, but I'd rather be nutty than end up with a big hole in my block

bigdaddy, I think the best thing you could do is simply avoid loading the engine below 4k, which you already know.

Last edited:
i used to spiked 20-21 psi with intake, dp/rp. but now it wont spike more than 19 psi and holds at 16 psi???

Back