Blown CX-5 Head Gasket?

My head gasket is blown also I'm getting advice by others to just drop new motor but the cheapest I can find is 2500. I'm tapped right now because I spent all my money on buying the Mazda. They sold it tome with blown heads. So can you let me know what steps your taking
woah. I thought they were under 600 - 800 range. Is that installed price?

LOL! 😄 I'm digging the "art" suggestions! Not to sure the CEO would allow that... even in my dungeon office! I would love to make the drivers seat into an office chair - especially with the butt warmers I have in it. I could probably rig up an electric cord to warm it up on these cold Michigan mornings.

@Ksaks I'm finding that an engine is roughly $2K before the labor, which was quoted at $2600 by a reliable mechanic. So at least $4000. I ain't got that kind of scratch. I'd rather scrap it, which I'm only seeing about $2000 if you don't want to individually part it out. Since I work from home, me and my kids can share the '97 Chevy truck during the work/school day. It just sucks for them when I tell them they're not taking the bobsled on these snowy days.

What I'm starting to think is that maybe I will try to rebuild it myself as @CX-5um suggests.
So... questions:
  1. How do I find out all of the parts I will want/need?
  2. What should I be looking for when tearing it down?
  3. Are there suggestions for alternative/performance parts? (not going to build a street racer, just looking for an extra 'grin' on the drives)
  4. Where do I find "Rebuilding SkyActive Engines For Dummies"?

woah. I thought they were under 600 - 800 range. Is that installed price?
Including installation? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

See my other post regarding costs. :)

Attachments

• laughing-laugh.gif
    laughing-laugh.gif
    218.3 KB · Views: 122
Including installation? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

See my other post regarding costs. :)
There actually was a time when you could get them that cheap.

OP, contact LKQ or visit their ebay store where they sell used skyactiv engines.

It looks like their 2.0 skyactiv engines are still relatively cheap. This is $367 local pickup in Canada and $210 shipped https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Unfortunately the 2.5's shot up in price. They used to be under 1k now their low mileage ones is in the 1,800 range. This one has 30k miles:

Another seller has this 2.5l pulled from a 2020 Mazda 6 with 10k miles for $1500 with $300 freight fee from Kentucky: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

^^ OP mentioned that he's strapped for cash and wants instructions on doing a rebuild. Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy the cheapest used engine he could find? Perhaps doing a teardown to identify what's good and what needs to be replaced?

....also OP if going the used engine route you may need to determine if it matters if it was pulled from an AWD car and going to FWD CX-5. Not sure if it matters or not. Just putting out ideas.

If OP has to ask those questions about fixing it, I think he should have a shop do it. First ask how much it will cost to put in a new motor, and also look what CX-5s are selling for with 130K miles. Also find the price if you scrap it. But if it is 4K to fix and 9K for sales, then it is worth borrowing the money and fixing it, assuming you won't have to pay a fortune to put the fix on credit.

OP, contact LKQ or visit their ebay store where they sell used skyactiv engines.

It looks like their 2.0 skyactiv engines are still relatively cheap. This is $367 local pickup in Canada and $210 shipped https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Unfortunately the 2.5's shot up in price. They used to be under 1k now their low mileage ones is in the 1,800 range. This one has 30k miles:

Another seller has this 2.5l pulled from a 2020 Mazda 6 with 10k miles for $1500 with $300 freight fee from Kentucky: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
Ex-moderator Chris_Top_Her has plenty of experience getting used parts from LKQ on eBay. Do a search on “LKQ” with member name “Chris_Top_Her” and we’ll see plenty of information such as:

See we actually have that in common, difference is I paid oop lol. But 6500, no. 500 for a lkq 2.5L. Even if the car is worthless doesn't matter though. I don't plan to get rid of it. Any mod thatsvmakes more fun to drive is worth it to me because I enjoy cruising/car scene.

Firstly unless you look around a price match (zoomzoomnationparts) or source the parts yourself, your gonna get raped on parts cost. Also a reputable trans shop will probably charge you much less in labor. The other option is LKQ used parts. I got 1000mi engine there for like $1300.

Yes they all use the same engine (but it also depends on year). I recommend LKQ it will tell you based on your bin what is available and compatible. Their stuff is warranted and graded. It's unlikely to get a bad part from them. You don't need to flash the ecu, unless you have one of the CD engines then I would.

Lkqonline.com or ebay (lkq sells on there too). Local shop charging 500-1k for installation. Or trade the car and take a hit worth more than the repair value.

Join the club.. zoom zoom boom lol. Go to search LKQ online..ebay even. You can get a trans starting at $1000 (or less w/ebay but make sure the seller offers some type of guarantee) depending on mileage. Looking at upwards of $1000 for labour at a shop to install. The chance thing is getting another defecto batch trans, but at least they are warrantied for parts by LKQ. Each part has the vin listed too so you can try to avoid the listed affected vins.

no I used some place from CO because the LKQ yards all wanted 180-280 for freight shipping, and I couldn't find any LKQ listing for one on ebay (LKQ listings on ebay are usually free shipping). Paid like 430 shipped for it. There aren't a lot of these used floating around on the net

Last edited:
LOL! 😄 I'm digging the "art" suggestions! Not to sure the CEO would allow that... even in my dungeon office! I would love to make the drivers seat into an office chair - especially with the butt warmers I have in it. I could probably rig up an electric cord to warm it up on these cold Michigan mornings.

@Ksaks I'm finding that an engine is roughly $2K before the labor, which was quoted at $2600 by a reliable mechanic. So at least $4000. I ain't got that kind of scratch. I'd rather scrap it, which I'm only seeing about $2000 if you don't want to individually part it out. Since I work from home, me and my kids can share the '97 Chevy truck during the work/school day. It just sucks for them when I tell them they're not taking the bobsled on these snowy days.

What I'm starting to think is that maybe I will try to rebuild it myself as @CX-5um suggests.
So... questions:
  1. How do I find out all of the parts I will want/need?
  2. What should I be looking for when tearing it down?
  3. Are there suggestions for alternative/performance parts? (not going to build a street racer, just looking for an extra 'grin' on the drives)
  4. Where do I find "Rebuilding SkyActive Engines For Dummies"?
See this thread with cracked cylinder head and pictures:

Grand Touring - Engine Swap

Honestly, if you have time and can DIY, replacing the cylinder head gasket or a new head by yourself is the most cost-effective way in your case. And it’s relatively easy with the engine in the bay. If the head is reusable, you can find a shop to resurface the head. Although you have to take the cylinder head out to find out if the head doesn’t have a crack and can be reused, but IMO your should have a cracked head and need a new one.

Will that fit'09 cx9?

Will that fit'09 cx9?
2009 CX-9? That has Ford 3.5 / 3.7L V6 which has a totally different powrrtrain.

Search or contact LKQ for that V6 engine, but most likely the used one you’re going to get may potentially have coolant leak issue.

2009 CX-9? That has Ford 3.5 / 3.7L V6 which has a totally different powrrtrain.

Search or contact LKQ for that V6 engine, but most likely the used one you’re going to get may potentially have coolant leak issue.
Are those the Ford engines that have the water pump inside the engine and leak causing engine failure?

Are those the Ford engines that have the water pump inside the engine and leak causing engine failure?
The water pump is “kind of” inside of the engine front, and driven by the timing chain. The design is ridiculous as replacing the water pump, which definitely is a wear-out item and won’t last as long as the engine itself, requires removal of the timing chain, and it becomes a fairly complicated job.

The water pump is “kind of” inside of the engine front, and driven by the timing chain. The design is ridiculous as replacing the water pump, which definitely is a wear-out item and won’t last as long as the engine itself, requires removal of the timing chain, and it becomes a fairly complicated job.
Gotcha, Thanks.

Many Nissan/Infiniti VQ engines have this internally chain driven water pump as well. Thankfully it is a rare failure in those cars but nothing lasts forever.

Update: The car is being towed to the dealer early next week. I realized that I am not able to determine the extent of the damage. I could take it apart, but I'm not confident that I would recognize a damaged part (like a cracked block), or put it all back together correctly. I looked into using an independent shop, but it turns out that I get a discount at somewhat local (45 min drive) Mazda dealer. They confirmed that I get parts at cost + 10%, and labor at $85/hr instead of the normal $125/hr. So I'm going to go that route... at least initially.

I'll post their findings and estimates next week for those that are interested.

Update: The Mazda service manager asked for the fluid change history (receipts). CarFax provided the services done at the dealer and at Walmart (1 oil change when getting tires mounted). I got the remaining records from the quick change place I used after moving. He tried to get some warranty help from Mazda, but they denied it claiming that they couldn't verify that the non-Mazda places used the correct oil (full synthetic) or coolant. So we are going with the "employee discount" route. This will be a brand new Mazda engine with warranty. It will be completed by March 2 or 3, with an estimated final cost around $5k.

Update: The Mazda service manager asked for the fluid change history (receipts). CarFax provided the services done at the dealer and at Walmart (1 oil change when getting tires mounted). I got the remaining records from the quick change place I used after moving. He tried to get some warranty help from Mazda, but they denied it claiming that they couldn't verify that the non-Mazda places used the correct oil (full synthetic) or coolant. So we are going with the "employee discount" route. This will be a brand new Mazda engine with warranty. It will be completed by March 2 or 3, with an estimated final cost around $5k.
Ouch that's expensive............... but not really.

IMHO the price for a brand new engine installed at the dealer is 6-8k for a 4-cylinder engine. I think you were given the low tiered price.

Are you getting a brand new 2.5l engine with warranty vs a used one?

This is why I usually do oil changes at the dealership for the powertrain warranty period. Then do my own after it expires.

With 130k miles on an 8-year-old 2014 CX-5 Touring, there’s no way Mazda North American Operations will do any kind of “warranty help” under this circumstances.

And you’ll get a factory-rebuilt engine from MNAO. Still you want to make sure the Mazda dealer is really giving you a factory-rebuilt engine from MNAO for $5,000. At least check the part number on the invoice and verify it that it’s an OEM.

Personally I’d find a used engine and an indie to get the engine replaced at lowest possible cost. Then sell it or trade it in soon at the proper time. After all the CX-5 has 130K miles already, you may have other major problems due to be happening such as the transmission issues. IMO putting in a high priced brand new or OEM rebuilt engine is not worth it.

⋯ This is why I usually do oil changes at the dealership for the powertrain warranty period. Then do my own after it expires.
The CX-5 is more than 8 years old with 130K miles, what do you expect the Mazda North American Operations will do for any “warranty help” to rickprins even if his CX-5 did all oil changes at Mazda dealerships?

I keep records with all receipts for oil changes as I change my own oil since the CX-5 is new. I don’t foreseen I’ll have major warranty service denied due to any maintenance related excuses. I’m simply afraid of screw-ups on the simple oil change by the dealerships. And it did happen to my vehicles a couple of times from my experience.

Back