Best way to remove scratches. =(

:
2019 CX-5 GTR
Was clearing some bird droppings off the hood and roof of my car earlier and I noticed some scratches on the back roof area (the piece of roof area next to the sunroof on the back).

Have no clue where this happened.

When I run my fingernail over the few lines it catches my fingernail. They are faint but I can feel them with my fingernails.

What's the best way to get rid of these? Would these have to be buffed out?

High speed compounding and polishing will take those right out. Have a detailer do it so you don't screw up your paint.

I never liked the idea of High speed compounding since it thins the clear coat. I have used Zaino for years (the Z-2 alone) to keep the paint looking like new and it can fill & hide light scratches in the clear coat.

Anyone else use Zaino?

http://www.zainostore.com/

I never liked the idea of High speed compounding since it thins the clear coat. I have used Zaino for years (the Z-2 alone) to keep the paint looking like new and it can fill & hide light scratches in the clear coat.

Anyone else use Zaino?

I use Griots Garage liquid wax. This keeps my cars paint finishes looking good with a nice slippery feel to the touch. If a vehicle is driven scratches will happen. My policy is not to look for them or think about them.

I use Adam's Polishes products and an orbital polisher with appropriate pads. Correcting polish and finishing polish usually remove light scratches. Heavy correcting compound is used as a last resort.

Anyone else use Zaino?

I used Zaino when it was just a two part system. It was the best, it was all I used on my last car. I looked them up recently and the new Zaino system is so complicated.

Anyone else use Zaino?

I do! Love the stuff.

Regarding the OP's question, my recommendation is to pick out whatever clean/polish/wax system you want to help bring out the paint's overall luster and distract from the scratches - Maguires, Griots, Zanio, etc. are all reputable. People will swear by particular brands, but it's really a personal decision based on effort and cost.

I wouldn't bother with professional tools like an electric polisher for a roof scratch. Takes skill, so it's better to get into the hobby by practicing on older cars.

I do! Love the stuff.

Regarding the OP's question, my recommendation is to pick out whatever clean/polish/wax system you want to help bring out the paint's overall luster and distract from the scratches - Maguires, Griots, Zanio, etc. are all reputable. People will swear by particular brands, but it's really a personal decision based on effort and cost.

I wouldn't bother with professional tools like an electric polisher for a roof scratch. Takes skill, so it's better to get into the hobby by practicing on older cars.

I agree, I wouldn't use an electric polisher. And no one will ever see scratches on the roof especially after waxing. I may try the Griots polish that doesn't have any cleaner or abrasives in it since it is a new car. Guys using Zanio, do you use the cleaning was prior to using the Z2 polish? I see on the web site it says don't use Z2 before using their cleaning wax.

I agree, I wouldn't use an electric polisher. And no one will ever see scratches on the roof especially after waxing. I may try the Griots polish that doesn't have any cleaner or abrasives in it since it is a new car. Guys using Zanio, do you use the cleaning was prior to using the Z2 polish? I see on the web site it says don't use Z2 before using their cleaning wax.

Doesnt hurt to use Z2 without cleaning, but for the best results youll usually want to perform a cleaning step first to remove oxidants, grime, water spots, old layers of polish/wax. Even if the car is brand new, it probably sat outside for a few weeks or months. I use a clay bar, but a liquid cleaner works too.

I have been using Zaino for years and even though they have added steps to the process, I just use the Z-2 alone and it works fine. Very easy...dries fast and wipes off easily with a cotton cloth. I do not do the cleaning steps...just wash the car, dry it partially, and apply the z-2 (it goes on better if the paint is still a little wet from the wash).

Doesnt hurt to use Z2 without cleaning, but for the best results youll usually want to perform a cleaning step first to remove oxidants, grime, water spots, old layers of polish/wax. Even if the car is brand new, it probably sat outside for a few weeks or months. I use a clay bar, but a liquid cleaner works too.

I'm looking at Zainostore and see that there is a Z-5 polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches.

Would this be a better choice?

Also, its stating that the ZFX or Z-AIO is mandatory for first time use with the Z-2, Z-3, or Z-5.

Do I really need the ZFX or Z-AIO?

Thanks in advance.

If you have not yet purchased and are still considering options, check out Menzerna. Also understanding the various pads will have an impact on how aggressive the cut might be.
You can get more clues at Detailed Image by just looking around. I use the Menzerna 3800 SF. I am still learning how to use the polisher so I've been easing into with less aggressive compounds. At this web store there is a blog, guide, user feedback with tips and a lot of other useful information for detailing.

https://www.detailedimage.com/Polish-C9/Menzerna-M10/

I use Maguire's Scratch-X by hand to remove specific clear coat scratches.

I'm looking at Zainostore and see that there is a Z-5 polish for Swirl Marks and Fine Scratches.

Would this be a better choice?

Also, its stating that the ZFX or Z-AIO is mandatory for first time use with the Z-2, Z-3, or Z-5.

Do I really need the ZFX or Z-AIO?

Thanks in advance.

No, I use just the Z-2 alone without the ZFX or Z-AIO. (I did use the ZFX once and it made no difference that I could see). Also, I would try the Z-2 first and only use the Z-5 if you still see fine scratches that bother you. Since the Z-5 is a polish it may thin the clear coat.

No, I use just the Z-2 alone without the ZFX or Z-AIO. (I did use the ZFX once and it made no difference that I could see). Also, I would try the Z-2 first and only use the Z-5 if you still see fine scratches that bother you. Since the Z-5 is a polish it may thin the clear coat.

Gotcha, thanks for the info. (2thumbs)

Was clearing some bird droppings off the hood and roof of my car earlier and I noticed some scratches on the back roof area (the piece of roof area next to the sunroof on the back).

Have no clue where this happened.

When I run my fingernail over the few lines it catches my fingernail. They are faint but I can feel them with my fingernails.

What's the best way to get rid of these? Would these have to be buffed out?

No big deal here buddy......
Small scratches = polish
Deep scratches = clay bar - rubbing compound -polish-seal
By hand or by machine....either way will get the job done

Name brands do not matter in your case....Anything off the shelf will do.

IMPORTANT!
Your roof line might have well been scratched by your local carwash.....After you polish your car PAY ATTENTION after your next wash.
Never go to the car wash after a storm!!

Last edited:
No big deal here buddy......
Small scratches = polish
Deep scratches = clay bar - rubbing compound -polish-seal
By hand or by machine....either way will get the job done

Name brands do not matter in your case....Anything off the shelf will do.

IMPORTANT!
Your roof line might have well been scratched by your local carwash.....After you polish your car PAY ATTENTION after your next wash.
Never go to the car wash after a storm!!

I never take my vehicle to the car wash. It's always hand-washed.

And speaking of scratches.

Sonofa........ I see a few more scratches near in the same area (roof piece between the roof spoiler panel and center roof antenna panel).

So either someone is deliberately "keying" my car or something else is causing these scratches on the roof.

Ahhhh..

I never take my vehicle to the car wash. It's always hand-washed.

And speaking of scratches.

Sonofa........ I see a few more scratches near in the same area (roof piece between the roof spoiler panel and center roof antenna panel).

So either someone is deliberately "keying" my car or something else is causing these scratches on the roof.

Ahhhh..

Do you park in the same spot always?

Back