Best oil and filter?

Prodigy5

Hey guys, what's your opinion on the best oil and filters to use on the P5? Are K&N filters worth the extra money?

Most P5s are high mileage now - so really the 'difference' you could affect is minimal...

Use the 626 size filter and maybe shortent he change interval to reflect the higher mileage/increased tolerances and increased blow-by breaking the oil down...

I used good ol' FRAM (flame shield [up]) and the car went a 1/4 million miles and the top of the engine still looked clean. really. clean.

So save the $ from high dollar filters and maybe change more often, eh? ;) Best Bang:Buck ratio

And don't use synthetic when it starts to burn it, switch to conventional as it won't burn it as fast

Hey everyone,

My P5 (Canada) has 270,000km on it and does not burn a drop on Pennzoil Platinum, knock on wood :)

I have been using this oil with the OEM Mazda B6 filter for intervals of about 5000km (short for this great oil but I like to be a little on the safe side).
If you do a little research it gets great numbers from the used oil analysis on sites like BITOG.

Hope this helps,

Sean

I have a bit over 200k and i put it on synth oil and now it burn it away about 1/2 qt a week, and gonna go back to conventional oil.

Experience speaking here. Never ask online about oil or filters, lot of disinformation and product pushers from non-knowledgeable people and vicious attacks if you try to explain...

*shield up* :)

Purolator PureOne filters are rated very highly as far as filtration, but have a low price point. I've been using them (the 626 filter actually) in my P5 since I bought it and really like them. Just my $0.02.

I use Shell Rotella-T. I've got a high-mileage Protege5 so I use it for its detergent capabilities. I don't know if it's the best or not.

I use rotella-T with wix filters. My father who has worked in the oil refining industry for 40 years is extremely particular about choosing oils for his cars and rotella is one he likes. Theirs a reason truckers use it almost exclusively.

Pure One or Mazda OEM for filters. Oil whatever suits you based on how long you plan stretch the OCI. Check out BITOG for UOA's on your choice. I know diesel mechanics/owner operators that hate Shell Rotella and do not use it.

anyone tried burning the engine oil in a 500-600'F oven and see if that oil burns badly or doing ok?

Sounds like something a cheap bastard would do to see if the oil needs to be changed or if they can run it a bit further... Either way, no just use new oil and quit being cheap. Walmart sells 5qt jug of penzoil for $16 plus $6 for filter

And oil should never see temps of 500 degrees, unless you're using it to start a fire.

what i mean is use a bowl of fresh oil and test it out in oven,

i saw russian test oil in glass jar to see how they hold up against extreme temperature

most oil burns, some even turn into ash like

and some oil that held up really good only shown some browning with barely anything stick to the glass

if youre going to pay all that money for an oil filter buy an AMSOIL filter the best of the best IMO.

Even if it was free I would get Mobil One extended performance filter before the K&n filter. i feel like you're just paying for the brand name if you buy the K&N.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter as it will never see those temps in a car

True, but exposing a material to a higher temperature than it is expected to see is a good, experimentally-sound way to speed the aging process in order to evaluate the material's performance.

I work for a company that does failure testing for electrical insulation materials. Only accredited one in the world. Basically anything designed to keep current flowing where it's supposed to, my lab tested it. And we're talking everything from the magnet wire in tiny electric motors to the components used to build generators in nuclear power plants. And we do a lot of work with things that are designed to be submerged in motor oil - which means long term thermal aging of everything, including the oil.

I guess what I'm saying is, while the oil will never actually see 500*F temps, (and I'm about to throw a couple numbers out of my ass for example's sake), 3 days in the oven at 500*F would be a pretty good indicator of how it would look (and perform) after 30 days at 250*F.

Last edited:
^I don't think I buy sleepwalker's argument,.. at least not 100%. I'm pretty sure you could put an ordinary text book in an oven at 250* and it would probably last a decade but it would burst into flames at 500*.

Testing an oil at a temperature 2 or 3 times higher than it will ever see may not yield any useful results. We need to know how an oil performs in a real world environment with dust, dirt, humidity, extreme pressure as well as high heat.

Just because an oil breaks down or burns at unrealistic temperatures doesn't mean it doesn't perform its duties well in a normal or even extreme environment.

There may even be some unwanted side effects of an oil that simply doesn't burn. (perhaps it's the additives like detergent or seal softeners in high mileage oil that burn more readily and would have to be eliminated to create a heatproof oil ???)

Engine oil is supposed to be replaced at least twice a year regardless of mileage so there is no need to extrapolate past six months service.

Last edited:
russian test oil in semi sealed big lab glass jar over open flame to see how they do.

what you really wanna see is the additive/s in the oil survive under high temperature, or burns into ashes.

its like setting the deep fryer 480degree

put some bread crumb into deep fryer, they burn, turn oil dark browning within a hour

but without bread crumbs, the oil last days and days under 480F with just lil browning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU6AhiUbjh4

if you look at this everpower oil test, the oil is so pure it leave nothing behind even under direct flame

traditional oil burns leave ash behind, just like when you open ur vlave cover u might find few ash spot within.

(u cant really tell if somewhere with in ur engine are cooled/lubed with oil constantly, it would reach peak temperature sometime)

its just one sample i can find, russian did almost all oils in russian market, i just forgot the site address. but most of the oil ant sold in NA market so the test doesnt benefit us.

Back