Best aftermarket Remote Start for CX-5

Descriminator

:
cx-5
Hi Folks

Any suggestions? I've got '14 Touring with Tech. Looking at best buy's Avital 4111 for $129 installed. Price matters, but quality/range are also considerations.

Thanks!

I am also looking for something better than the stock dealer offer. Viper does not have anything yet but Clifford and Compustart do for the 2013 model. The dealer just today told me they are now only installing Compustart as the Viper's they have installed have caused some interference issues. You will have to either purchase an additional key or give up one as it is needed to be installed inside the vehicle. You will have to live with the engine turning off when you open the door. I have not looked into alarms but suspect it will add another layer of complexity to it all. I would not let Best Buy touch the vehicle. You can search for those stories online. I would also only go to the preferred dealers recommended by the manufacture. I think you will have a lot less hassle that way long term. We are going to wait a little as there may be better solutions coming this summer. Right now, in addition to the extra key you need an additional module to install it into so it can talk to the remote system.

Nothing to add, other than where I live, winter is almost over. I'll wait until next winter and hope that there are cheaper/better options than Mazda remote start.

Aftermarket remote start

Hi Folks

Any suggestions? I've got '14 Touring with Tech. Looking at best buy's Avital 4111 for $129 installed. Price matters, but quality/range are also considerations.

Thanks!

I had a Compustar installed in my 2013 Touring model about 4 months ago. Works great - no problems. Use a reliable installer.

did you also find that the engine turned off upon approaching car???
How much did you spend??

Last edited:
I have a compustar too and had it installed by Best Buy. I am extremely happy. It is nothing fancy, but works great.

I have a compustar too and had it installed by Best Buy. I am extremely happy. It is nothing fancy, but works great.

Kelseyx, did you see any issues with car shutting down when doors are open, or remote fob not working to open doors when car is started? did you have to give up a key?

Thanks!

I just got off the phone with Compustar. One DOES have to give up a factory remote for installation under the dash somewhere. The car will shut off IF you take over 45 seconds to actually start the car upon entering the car. You WILL have to carry BOTH remotes with you. The factory proximity remote and the new Remote start fob. With spring around the corner, I am going to wait until only one fob, the new remote fob, is needed.

I would love to get the OEM Mazda one, but it is so damn expensive, just like the backup sensors that can be had for about 100 that are damn near exactly like the Mazda ones.

I just got off the phone with Compustar. One DOES have to give up a factory remote for installation under the dash somewhere. The car will shut off IF you take over 45 seconds to actually start the car upon entering the car. You WILL have to carry BOTH remotes with you. The factory proximity remote and the new Remote start fob. With spring around the corner, I am going to wait until only one fob, the new remote fob, is needed.

Yea, see, i only got 2 remotes with the car... if i give up one, i'm only left with one to fight over with my wife (rolleyes)

i'm prly going to wait too

voided warranty

Hi Folks

Thanks!

When buying our '14 GT we were looking at having the remote start added in by the dealership. They were wanting around $800 if I recall correctly, so we passed. They told us if we had one installed by a 3rd party it would void the factory warranty. Is this incorrect?

Phrases like "void the factory warranty" get thrown around a lot. Dealers like the sound of it because it does tend to scare people. What they should say is "this item is backed by Mazda and your factory warranty, unlike an aftermarket item".

An aftermarket add-on can only cause a warranty rejection if the installation or operation of the remote start caused the problem with the car.

For example if they tap into the wrong wire and short something out then that won't be covered by Mazda. Or if their remote start leads to some other problem down the road you won't be covered on it. If your car ends up with an electrical problem and the dealer spends time diagnosing it only to find it was the result of the aftermarket install they will bill you for that time and any parts they put in.

A remote start can't make it so they won't warranty a suspension part or anything completely unrelated. Even though 'voids the warranty' sounds a bit like that.

Of course you can run into a situation where the dealer is blaming the remote start and the place that installed the remote start is blaming Mazda for the problem. And those things are never fun.

here's a good write up on it: http://www.edmunds.com/auto-warranty/what-voids-your-vehicles-warranty.html

and one with some examples: http://autos.aol.com/article/warranty-and-aftermarket-parts

Both of them address the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Trevor
http://mazda.handa.com/cx5.html

Last edited:
When buying our '14 GT we were looking at having the remote start added in by the dealership. They were wanting around $800 if I recall correctly, so we passed. They told us if we had one installed by a 3rd party it would void the factory warranty. Is this incorrect?
The dealer told you that? In general, if a warranty issue arises, the dealer needs to prove that the aftermarket part caused the issue or they can not say the warranty is void.
That is the law if I'm not mistaken. I'll try to find the documentation on that.

Thanks. This makes sense. I still worry about them trying to use an aftermarket remote start as a cop out on a valid warranty claim. I don't trust them (maybe i don't trust any dealer).

I had a Compustar installed in my 2013 Touring model about 4 months ago. Works great - no problems. Use a reliable installer.

2014 GT owner myself (no technology package). Can you tell me what model compustar was installed?

Bump Bump
Time to put those remote starts in... What do you guys recommend for aftermarket? Have initial problems been solved?

Thanks!!!

I had an appointment last Friday with the place that always puts in my remote starters, but when I showed up he said the Mazda software is currently locked out because aftermarket remotes were sometimes causing the security system to go haywire. I had been going back and forth between installing the OEM myself or going to the pros, so I took this as a sign and my OEM will be delivered tomorrow. Despite its shortcomings, it seems like the safest bet in the long run.

I had an appointment last Friday with the place that always puts in my remote starters, but when I showed up he said the Mazda software is currently locked out because aftermarket remotes were sometimes causing the security system to go haywire. I had been going back and forth between installing the OEM myself or going to the pros, so I took this as a sign and my OEM will be delivered tomorrow. Despite its shortcomings, it seems like the safest bet in the long run.

Interesting. Thanks.

I looked at the OEM install instructions, and its pretty much the same as aftermarket... just has a better looking remote that matches. I'm for some reason (budget reason) i'm inclined to go to best buy and stick a compuStar in... crossing all fingers, of course.

Back