Berty's Cosmo

The neutral switch is in the same assembly as the gear select which you connected the shift linkage to. Maybe when you adjusted it, you set it so park is a bit further along and improved the contact.

aaand the gearbox is all done!

Got the car back today after the trans shop had the car for the last week. The guy that runs that the workshop said that it "unleashes" now when it comes onto boost.(mj)

Shifts are very firm and instantaneous. I didn't get a chance to really drive it as I had to get back to work. However the boy (& girls) of the local 5-0 really liked the look of the Cosmo and decided to pull me over for a "random vehicle inspection" on the way home. After I handed over my engineers certificate to the police officer I was back on my way.

I'm hoping to get a Go-Pro or similar soon so I can update this thread with some power runs.

Wow. Nice stance!

9943_574804422554249_435723552_n.jpg

The neutral switch is in the same assembly as the gear select which you connected the shift linkage to. Maybe when you adjusted it, you set it so park is a bit further along and improved the contact.

I was chatting to guys at the trans shop and they said that the neutral safety switch is on the box itself. There is a microswitch in the assembly, but this is only triggered when in park. After looking at it some more it seems that most of the circuitry on the shifter assembly is to do with security - i.e. the keys wont come out if it isn't in park. You can't select gears without having your foot on the brake etc.

You're more than likely right though - even if the safety switch isn't in the gear selector assembly then it stands to reason that I have simply put something back in the 'sweet spot'.

Just a technical note. If you go through with this mod and you get the flashing hold light on the dash as an error code then you need to cut the orange wire (with silver dots) going into the auto ecu. Many thanks to Rodneooo for this info.

This weekend was the Japanese Nationals out at Queensland Raceway. It's a two day event with sprints / drifts & show and shine. I took the Cosmo out on Saturday to take a look at what it was like.

I took the car out for a run around the track at lunch - the first time it has been driven at speed since the new turbo & gearbox.

294149_10201265742305101_231577328_n.jpg

Here I am coming off the track to get in a friends very serious S14 track car. 100 points if you can spot what has changed about the car in the two pictures...

936144_10201265775145922_589280695_n.jpg

Guesses? Well the GPS Antenna decided to part ways with my roof along one of the straights. My passenger and I heard a very loud bang and we just assumed we had run over some pieces of tire on the track. Turns out it was the sound of the whole assembly coming off due to the speed.

Here is a quick video from inside the car whilst out on track. No helmets required as it was just "happy laps".

The new gearbox feels like the CVT that I have in my other car. It almost eliminates all of the feeling of torque from the engine as the car is kept consistently in its power band the whole time you are accelerating. Boost is constant because you don't have to lift your foot off the accelerator.]

Thanks to Danny for trying to salvage the remains of GPS unit at the end of the session & thanks to Jarred for the footage.

Fantastic updates, Berty...How's the Cosmo been with the upgraded tranny and turbo? How do you like the new setup when driving around town vs on the track vs through the twisties etc?

Did you do a manual valve body conversion..?

I had a '64 Chevelle when I was in Uni with a Classic B&M T-handle shifter and I really enjoyed the look and feel of that shifter...I have pondered what such a shifter would look and feel like in my Cosmo...I like that it's so menacing compared to standard auto-shifters...The Cosmo one is nice and comfortable but it lacks that "I mean business" attitude!

Long time between posts...

I've been enjoying the car over the last year and bit doing a ton of driving in it. In terms of modifications, some of you may have been keeping up with my posts on Facebook but here is a list;

-Installed the Dakota Digital gear sensor
-Installed XYZ 6 Pot brakes with 355mm rotors
-Solved the ABS issue that was driving me nuts
-Installed a Clarion Double DIN GPS head unit with reverse camera etc.
-Installed a new amp, sub and speakers. (made a custom boot install)
-Installed JIC helper springs to the rear coil overs
-Re-installed the charcoal canister :)
-Rewired the fuel system
-Made a custom front end to help with cooling
-Ducted the transmission cooler
-Cleaned and replace dodgy fuel injectors
-Found a replacement GPS dome and sprayed it myself.

What's next?

-I'm about to move on to doing ALL of the suspension bushes. :/
-I bought a 3500RPM stall converter. Time to install it
-Additional trans cooler

I'll post some images of the upgrades shortly. :)

Back