BC Coilover Setup: Compression/Rebound Settings, Ride Height Adjustment, Camber, Etc.

haha thank you man, I am really happy with the BC's. I have a few more of the car and one of the lower ring I took out from the rear spring.....
So in these pictures, you have the lower ring off in the rear and are all the way down? If so, I still have the lower ring and still have 2 threads on the sleeves. When I had the stock tire size, I was a finger gap. You should be lower.

stock tires are 215/45 now i have 225/40 so they have a different profile. The stock tires fill in the gap more. Those pics were before the rings were removed but I dont think it made much difference maybe .15-.25 inch at best. I have about a one finger gap right now maybe slightly less my hands are huge!

Wastegate: I do plan on getting wheels, but it's not high on my priority list right now I am fine with stock. just a tad too skinny though.

the front could go wayyy lower than it is right now, I have it set so the car isnt raked too bad with how low the rears go, or dont. I will post pics when I do some custom work to get them lower and tuck tires f/r

my car right now...

I agree, that looks perfect to me. Mine is lower than yours in the rear with just one of the rings removed. Today i tried and could not get my index finger between in the gap. The rears are officially tucking now after some settling. I'm going to put the ring back in and hopefully end up at the height your at.

ya with the ring in you will be at the height in the pics. Do you still have stock tires? I checked the gap I currently have with the rings removed and it's a tight one finger gap when the car is level. I am unsure if I wanna go lower because when I get new wheels/tires one day it will be perfect and flush, I will most likely have to raise the front depending on the tires but I want like 245's eventually

edit.....thanks wastegate and fostersafb for the nice comments I like when others are down with what I got going on. Post pics of your rides! fostersafb: I am in Oceanside San Diego hit me up if your ever around the area

Last edited:
ya with the ring in you will be at the height in the pics. Do you still have stock tires? I checked the gap I currently have with the rings removed and it's a tight one finger gap when the car is level. I am unsure if I wanna go lower because when I get new wheels/tires one day it will be perfect and flush, I will most likely have to raise the front depending on the tires but I want like 245's eventually

edit.....thanks wastegate and fostersafb for the nice comments I like when others are down with what I got going on. Post pics of your rides! fostersafb: I am in Oceanside San Diego hit me up if your ever around the area

I put the second ring back in place and adjusted the shock to 5 turns from full low and its night and day difference. Not bouncy anymore and the height now matches the front and looks more like yours now. I'm much happier than before.

I'm thinking the same thing with tires. Looking to get 235's/245's depending on what width wheel I end up with.

I dont know when id be down in your are any time soon but if I did, it would be cool to meet up with another enthusiast.

Still working on pictures. Its been pretty wet here lately.

s*** you had both of the rings off? How did the spring sit/get held in place since the lower of those two rings has a lip on it that the plastic shim and spring sit and stay centered on.?? ya rain sucks I just got my cpe fmic on today and couldnt really get on it and see how the car reacts because everywhere is so damn wet.

s*** you had both of the rings off? How did the spring sit/get held in place since the lower of those two rings has a lip on it that the plastic shim and spring sit and stay centered on.?? ya rain sucks I just got my cpe fmic on today and couldnt really get on it and see how the car reacts because everywhere is so damn wet.

I only took the smaller of the two rings out but that was enough to make her sit too low for my taste. I dont know how the spring would stay in place with the perch ring.

Yep, it sucks being wet all over however it gave me another reason to upsize my tires and wheels. When I was stock I would break loose in 3rd gear in the rain, then I flashed the AP stage 1 and in the rain would break loose in 4th gear! Kind of scary going 45mph and getting full wheel spin. (wow) After the coilovers I don't break loose as bad anymore in 4th. 1st, 2nd and 3rd, you know the story.

In dry weather the coilovers helped too. Before stage 1 I would break loose in 1st pretty bad and second gear yielded some annoying wheel hop and flashing TCS and DSC lights on the gauge cluster. After stage 1 the 2nd gear wheel hop became full on smoking tires if the torque came on at the right time. After installing the coilovers the 2nd gear wheel spin is almost gone, not nearly as pronounced.

My goal since I began modding the car was to do all that I could to get the power to road. I'm a Subaru convert so I never had any issues with putting down the power. My Forester XT put down 280/320 on a mustang dyno and with all season M+S tires I would barely break loose in 1st gear. I knew I would eventually have to start choosing mods to get the power down but didn't realize how soon I would have to start that. Stage 1 was enough for me to put all other power mods on hold until I could get some nice and wide rubber under the car. I'm deciding between 245's or stretched 235's on 8.5's.

I have also felt a big difference in how the car puts the power to the ground since installing my BC's. I dont get wheelhop, and with good timing and throttle control (most important) I can run through gears and only chirp the tires. My stock dyno was 247whp 282wtq so now with a dp and fmic which raised my boost to 18psi I would say i have around 265whp and 300wtq (conservative guess) and the car handles it very well.
I would say go for 245's if you get 8.5" wheels, but you must already know your gonna have to roll the fenders and adjust/realign your suspension from where it's at now. Personally I think 8" wide rims are a good choice for the car and not look too out of place on a fwd....just my opinion though that s*** bothers me. But, if you wanna make some big power you will want 8.5 or 9 inch wheels............. Now post some pics of the ride............ everyone who has BC's

Subbin'

I'm planning on getting some BC's very soon and I'm running RX8 wheels with 235/40/18 tires.

That would depend on how low I go. Sacrilicous was running Cobb springs with my same setup and didn't get any rubbing.

I've seen people say they had rubbing with that set-up and stock suspension when goin over big bumps and / or with people in the back.

Damn first my Cobb Inlet and now my coilovers :(

lol j/k

I guess worst case I can keep it stock height on BC's and get lower profile tires later.

What are the Offset of the RX-8 wheels? Depending on that configuration it may work. The people with 18X8's and 235 40s who where rubbing had like a 42 offset. If the RX-8s are bigger you might be fine.

All of this is depends on different peoples definition of rubbing. Im sure everyone will define it differently for you. Then theres outside influence(e.g. passengers/height, etc..)It makes no sense that a +50 wheel and tire setup will rub if people are putting +30/35 offsets on there cars. Good luck with whatever you decide.

i guess that would depend on the wheel width. Im running 225/40 on an 18 x 8" +35 wheel. 8.5" and up need at least a 235 though. You "should" be able to fit an 18 x 8"/8.5" w/ an +45/48 offset without rubbing with either a 225/40 or 235/40 tire IMO..

Well.... if it doesn't rub it's close. It's worth a shot because I think the 215s are too skinny.

Back