Barefoot Running? Anyone Else Try it?

Let's not forget that a lot of the fastest runners are coming from Jamaica now. One of the things that I was informed of during the Olympics was that a lot of the children, of course, run around barefoot, which in turn strengthens the foot, and the legs at an early age.

That is VERY true! I grew up in St.Thomas which is the American version of Jamaica (so to speak) and did the same. I think there is more than just that helping these individuals out though. Food.... Competition.... types of sports played in these areas may have an impact too. For a runner needs more than strong feet to be the cream of the crop.

What do you mean no one is 100% sure how long it takes??? We are 100% sure how long it takes. We have gene mapping and can see exactly what genes people have. Im not talking about evolutionary adaption. Im talking about gene pools. The livelyhood of many of those african / mexican tribes was dependant on running which is why those genes ultimately proliferated. Thus today those tribes have been living amongst themselves just like their ancestors and retain many of those same common genes. It takes longer than a couple generations. IT takes at least 20+ generations of reproducing amongst the same gene pools. That is reproducing those genes that are more suited for their environment.

And we are talking about distance running, not sprinting. That has nothing to do with what im talking about. The tribes I previosly mentioned were conditioned for distance . . . not for sprinting. Not to mention in sprinting shoes are for traction. Support / protection is not a priority.

Ohhh! I threw in the fastest runners to spark the idea that Genes may not be the BE ALL and END ALL for these types of runners. A car is not fast because it has an 300HP engine.... it also needs top fuel, special gears, weight reduction, a good driver...etc. Your Genes are a starting point, and what you do in your life may amplify or null some their aspects. You could be born from a long line of runners and have the gene for barefoot long distance, but if you do not like to run and over eat, your cardio will be the determining factor.

Not matter LONG or SHORT running, SHOES or no SHOES...... IT IS as per what you said "The tribes I previously mentioned were conditioned for distance . . . not for sprinting". This is what I am pointing out. Genes may help, but the CONDITIONING, habits, mind set, competitiveness, and environment plays a BIGGER roll than pointing out an aspect of that person's Genes is the factor for why they are such good runners. That is why I threw that comment "Sprinters" into the mix.... we are conditioned to take top MEDALS in sprinting just as the Tribes in Africa are conditioned to run long distances.

I am not saying anybody is wrong. I am saying you cannot forget that there are many other FACTORS that play important part in this topic........JUST SAYING.

Last edited:
Do you guys feel that adding some barefoot running once a week on a treadmill would be a good idea or is it too risky on a treadmill?

He wasn't talking about running with shoes. :)

And personally, I still try to run on my heels (even if jogging) as little as possible. I just don't like it, and my calves and quads seem to respond much better to running on the balls of my feet as compared to on the heels.

There is no "right" way to run (with shoes). Top distance runners use all forms of strikes. Comes down to you and your body. What works best and sustains good health the longest. For many distance running is more a battle of staying healthy than working hard.

Running on the heels of the foot has gotten the bad rap lately but just FYI. A study was done which captured the strike of many of the beiijing olympic marathoners. Over 1/2 were running on their heels by the 15th mile.

Ohhh! I threw in the fastest runners to spark the idea that Genes may not be the BE ALL and END ALL for these types of runners. A car is not fast because it has an 300HP engine.... it also needs top fuel, special gears, weight reduction, a good driver...etc. Your Genes are a starting point, and what you do in your life may amplify or null some their aspects. You could be born from a long line of runners and have the gene for barefoot long distance, but if you do not like to run and over eat, your cardio will be the determining factor.

Not matter LONG or SHORT running, SHOES or no SHOES...... IT IS as per what you said "The tribes I previously mentioned were conditioned for distance . . . not for sprinting". This is what I am pointing out. Genes may help, but the CONDITIONING, habits, mind set, competitiveness, and environment plays a BIGGER roll than pointing out an aspect of that person's Genes is the factor for why they are such good runners. That is why I threw that comment "Sprinters" into the mix.... we are conditioned to take top MEDALS in sprinting just as the Tribes in Africa are conditioned to run long distances.

I am not saying anybody is wrong. I am saying you cannot forget that there are many other FACTORS that play important part in this topic........JUST SAYING.

Dude I don't think you really understand what im trying to say at all. Go back and read my posts again. Your taking so many things way off in the wrong direction and making up arguments over things I never said.

Question, I was a pretty good sprinter in H.S. (and was going to run in college but didn't due to time blah blah blah) so I am used to running on the balls of my feet and have pretty well developed and string calf muscles.

Should there be much difference in the way I land barefooted compared to a full blown sprint?
I guess I am used to running pretty much on my toes, a little ahead of the ball of my foot. Should I roll that back some to directly on the ball, or just behind the ball?

I also tend to run on the outsides of my feet, as shown by wear on my shoes and major blisters in track, is there a way to correct this because as much as I try to focus on it when running it is very difficult.

Well you never said #2. You said we don't know how long it takes for gene pool changes / evolutionary changes and that was wrong. What your saying now is something different. Your talking about genetic diversity / crossing over. We are talking about isolated tribes. The genes can do all the crossing over they want but it won't change anything.

Just judging from your comments you didn't understand the reason I brought up genetics in the first place. Im not saying that Kenyan's are the best, or the fastest, etc. I have no idea why you brough up sprinting because that has nothing to do with this thread or the argument. This thread is about barefoot running and its impact on health whether that be positive or negative.

The US having a record of fast sprinters doesn't relate . . .

A lot of the new articles being published about barefoot running use these indigenous tribes as a means of "justification" or "support." I said pages ago that I don't think that was a fair assesment. Because many of these peoples have genetic traits that are more suited to running. Mainly the shape of their legs / bodies. That is not to say they are BETTER. That is to say they are less succeptible to injury. Being born into generations of running families or in areas where running is more "necessary" or higher altitudes all have benefits which I already mentioned. They are all pieces to the puzzle but my point was about the shape of the legs / feet which has been studied and reported.

Im not advocating anything. Im simply making a point. I would like to see some articles written by experienced distance runners with studies done of "average" runners.

Ok dude.... I said we are not 100% sure. If we are 100% sure, then please point me to the proven research that shows this because I am at a loss. I am not debating your knowledge on your posts, but you did INCORRECTED me on that statement. I mentioned the other factors that may help these runners be best that they are. The topic, itself, "Barefoot Running? Anyone Else Try it?" does not define if a person is a long distance runner or sprinter. The sprinter comment was NOT for your posts, but to help spark thought, and or, comments on what else may be a factor for runners in general (other than just running barefoot).

Last edited:
Ok dude.... I brought it up cause I feel it is an important item since topic expanded to reasons why (?). It is MY observation. the topic "Barefoot Running? Anyone Else Try it?" I have already commented on, the other stuff, like i said, is added thought to this ever expanding topic. I did not bash your off topic gene discussion nor did the originator of this post, so please give me due repect for mine OFF TOPIC views. Thanks

You can write anything you wan't and I don't know why you feel I disrespected you. I said "I dont think you understand." Honestly I don't know how much more lightly I could say that. You quoted me and then stated some inconsistant thoughts. I felt it was only right to correct you by saying "I don't think you understand." You took what I said and pointed it in the wrong direction. I never said you were wrong about your sprinting thing. I was confused to your point because it doesn't relate at all.

And how is what im saying off topic?? IT is very relevant. Especially with the numerous articles that have been posted in this very thread.

Question, I was a pretty good sprinter in H.S. (and was going to run in college but didn't due to time blah blah blah) so I am used to running on the balls of my feet and have pretty well developed and string calf muscles.

Should there be much difference in the way I land barefooted compared to a full blown sprint?
I guess I am used to running pretty much on my toes, a little ahead of the ball of my foot. Should I roll that back some to directly on the ball, or just behind the ball?

I also tend to run on the outsides of my feet, as shown by wear on my shoes and major blisters in track, is there a way to correct this because as much as I try to focus on it when running it is very difficult.

I went to one of those running stores where the personnel put you on a treadmill to spot your running style. Then they show you the type of sneaker(s) that best meets your running style. You don't have to buy the sneaker, but it may help with your foot blister situation. I feel better running with the sneakers I got from them.

you can write anything you wan't and i don't know why you feel i disrespected you. I said "i dont think you understand." honestly i don't know how much more lightly i could say that. You quoted me and then stated some inconsistant thoughts. I felt it was only right to correct you by saying "i don't think you understand." you took what i said and pointed it in the wrong direction. I never said you were wrong about your sprinting thing. I was confused to your point because it doesn't relate at all.

And how is what im saying off topic?? It is very relevant. Especially with the numerous articles that have been posted in this very thread.

10/4

Now boys...

MOTIVATION.COMPROMISE.jpg

Do you guys feel that adding some barefoot running once a week on a treadmill would be a good idea or is it too risky on a treadmill?

Just curious as to why you think it would be risky on a treadmill? If anything I think it would be fairly safe and it's actually a softer surface the the streets. I say go for it, just be sure to ease into it. I wouldn't go run 3mi your fist time out.

Just curious as to why you think it would be risky on a treadmill? If anything I think it would be fairly safe and it's actually a softer surface the the streets. I say go for it, just be sure to ease into it. I wouldn't go run 3mi your fist time out.

I was 'told' by someone that it was risky. I also argued that treadmill is a little easier on your body than street running, and I'm not about to try that barefoot right now. I'm only doing 1-2 miles right now(still trying to get back in shape), so I don't think that would be overkill.

I was 'told' by someone that it was risky. I also argued that treadmill is a little easier on your body than street running, and I'm not about to try that barefoot right now. I'm only doing 1-2 miles right now(still trying to get back in shape), so I don't think that would be overkill.

Unless you're getting your toes caught in the treadmill or something, I don't see why its more risky... No potholes, rocks, glass, needles, etc... to step on. Why did this person say it was more risky?

I see no problem with it as long as the treadmill is yours. I use the local gym, and would not RISK catching a FLYING foot fungus there. (cricket)

Nah, it would be on my own. I've got a nice Sole F65 treadmill in the basement that is awesome to run on. I'm pretty sure its clean.

When youre in full blown sprint your running on your toes. When your running (jogging) you are running most likely on the balls of your feet (midfoot) or on the heel. Some people run on their toes and strike from toe to heel but thats probably least common on the footstrikes. If you are striking on the outside of your feet you are probably midfoot striking. That is landing on the balls of your feet. Not to be confused with harecore toe running.

I have the same problem as you. I run on the outside of my feet and as they hit the ground they roll inward. You can't change this problem with form (unless your form is AWFULL). Your footstrike is your footstrike. IT is your bodies anatomy. You can fix this by, as nuffman suggested, getting the right shoe. A good running store can watch you run on the treadmill like nuff stated. You can also have custom orthodics molded to your foot by a sports therapist.

Of course if you choose to run barefoot (which I am assuming since you are in this thread) you can't do those things. You can only work on proper form. I would run on soft surfaces like sports fields and start very easily. Slow and steady so you build those muscles that support your bare feet.

Back