Bad Fuel Pump??

flaps720

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege & 2006 mazda rx8 gt
About 2 months ago my car wouldnt start (what better place than the liquor store parking lot) and I had it towed to mazda, the reason being it wasnt getting fuel. They ran tests and checked back to the fuel pump and relay and said when they reconnected everything, she started right up. They replaced the corroded fuel pump relay and she was doing fine till now, I am having trouble starting, I'll pump the gas to try and flood the engine a bit then I'll get it to start, the longer it sits, the harder it is to start.

Could this be the fuel pump? Once started, everything runs fine, so I imagine it wouldnt be the injectors. Would a faulty fuel pump still allow the car to run fine after start-up?

Thoughts? I am strapped for $$ so I need to fig. this one out on my own...

Thanks.

It could be the pump or the filter. Change the filter first and you may be good to go. If that doesn't fix it then try the pump. If you need to change the pump its a good idea to do the filter anyway.

One other problem I have had in the past (not in a car, but in a motorcycle) was a gunky buildup in the tank that occasionally plugged the filter screen on the fuel pump itself. Had to remove and flush the tank to deal with that - would suck on a car...

Good Luck

have you tried turning the key to accessory for a few seconds before cranking? i had that issue with my spec-v and a technician said it was my fuel pump.

have you tried turning the key to accessory for a few seconds before cranking? i had that issue with my spec-v and a technician said it was my fuel pump.

Yeah it seems that is what I have to do first to get it to start, so I guess I'm looking in the right direction.

Pumping the accelerator in your car will do nothing, except move the butterfly in the TB. Your car is Fuel injected. Turing the key to accessory for a few seconds will allow the pump to make pressure before cranking. I think that you might look towards ignition as well crank angle sensor/ coils. do you have a code

fuel pump is an easy fix.. like 100.00 for an upgraded walbro.... anyways.. if you need a place to do it.. hit me up. i'm in md.. dunno how far.. but w/e.

Thanks for all the help guys, I had someone kind of explain it to me after I posted so I understand the fuel injection and turning to acc to prime. I'm still pretty ignorant when it comes to the technical stuff tho. I'll keep an eye on things and open this back up once I have the time and money to address it, that is of course unless my car decides it's time to address it for me.

I had the same issues you describe. It was the fuel pump. See my post on it here: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4331183&postcount=6

Thanks for the post, I will be doing that in coming weeks. Is it best to just use an oem pump or should I spring for something like the walboro high output? If I go with the high output will I need bigger fuel injectors and/or a new fuel rail? Also, is there anything else I'll need in addition to the pump (filters, gaskets, etc.)?

Thanks for the post, I will be doing that in coming weeks. Is it best to just use an oem pump or should I spring for something like the walboro high output? If I go with the high output will I need bigger fuel injectors and/or a new fuel rail? Also, is there anything else I'll need in addition to the pump (filters, gaskets, etc.)?

the walbro is cheap imo... i would just upgrade it now, if you plan on ever modding the car. you don't need to upgrade the injectors, no. but if you did ever, you'd be set to flow them..

you can always change your fuel filter, but not necessary. you won't NEED anything else.

the walbro is cheap imo... i would just upgrade it now, if you plan on ever modding the car. you don't need to upgrade the injectors, no. but if you did ever, you'd be set to flow them..

you can always change your fuel filter, but not necessary. you won't NEED anything else.

Nice, yeah the walboro is more than reasonable and I am already moderately modded, so it looks like that's what's next. Hopefully my existing pump will hold out for a few weeks.

Thanks everyone!

Latest posts

Back