Average MPG less than 20mpg, am I alone?

2019 CX-5 Signature Turbo, always use Costco premium 92 octane.

As title says, I'm only getting 18-19 mpg average. I tried to get some decent mileage, intentionally driving like an old man. Well, I'm an old man but it's just too far below the EPA rating. I usually drive 5-10 mile distance on surface road, in small city not much of traffic, occasional freeway driving to 25 miles or so. I expect more than 20 mpg or close to the EPA city rating. The CX-5 has 15,500 miles on it, am I still in break-in period? No other complaints. Oh, once drove 130 mile one way, I got just under 27 mpg on that trip.

Cold is relative, it’s colder than summer, and colder than the EPA test loop. It takes longer for the engine to warm up, meaning it’s running richer and with spark retard longer. Example, several times a week I take the same 6 mile one-way trip. Going, when the engine is cold, I get about 20 mpg. Coming back 30 minutes later with the engine warmed up I get 24 mpg. In the summer add 2-3 mpg to those figures.

How are you ariving at youe mog values, the trip economy gauge or actually calculating based on actual gallons added and miles driven?

Mostly city driving here and get 19-20MPG. Let’s see how that changes with my new wheel/tire set up. Shed off at least 10 lbs per
Corner. Really should’ve weighed the set
Up.

2019 CX-5 Signature Turbo, always use Costco premium 92 octane.

As title says, I'm only getting 18-19 mpg average. I tried to get some decent mileage, intentionally driving like an old man. Well, I'm an old man but it's just too far below the EPA rating. I usually drive 5-10 mile distance on surface road, in small city not much of traffic, occasional freeway driving to 25 miles or so. I expect more than 20 mpg or close to the EPA city rating. The CX-5 has 15,500 miles on it, am I still in break-in period? No other complaints. Oh, once drove 130 mile one way, I got just under 27 mpg on that trip.
Not all engines perform the same from factory. You’ll always see some engines are having better fuel efficiency than others under the same circumstances. EPA fuel economy ratings for 2019 CX-5 Signature with 2.5T and AWD are 22/27/24 city/highway/combined. So I’d agree with GAXIBM that the 27 mpg on the 130 mile trip says the car should be OK.

You can change certain things one by one and see if the mpg improves. Turn off the TCS by pressing the “TCS OFF” button on the panel each time you drive the CX-5, and you should see the instant MPG display increases. Switch to regular top-tier gas and see if the mpg changes. And use different brand of full synthetic 5W-30 oil when you change the oil and see if there’s anything different on mpg.

Short trips, less that 3 miles with lights every mile will yield <20. trips of >5 miles with a steady foor and a couple miles between stops will yield 22-24. Coast to stops, accel slow. I have no trouble getting 27-28 on the 10 mile highway trips at 65

Thanks guys.
Yes, short trips hurt MPG. I usually do 5-10 miles with a few signals, but no rush hour traffic. Feel like I get a bit better mpg whenever I use cruise control. My MDX with V6 J35 engine gets slightly higher mpg than this, even with shorter trips. :sick:

You don't need to run premium, so you can save some money there. Only makes a difference at high RPM, Costco is Top Tier branded, maybe not as good as Shell but still good. Toss in some Techron from time to time, And try to drive long enough to get the engine to operating temp for while. If you can't, change the oil more frequently to keep the moisture level in the oil down.

2015 Touring over 78,829 miles = 28.3 average mpg from pump, 28.6 average from dash. Lowest tank = 21.4 mpg. Quite a few highway miles in those higher figures. Average at 70 MPH with a/c on = 30 - 31 mpg. Have tried tanks with premium, and alcohol free with no appreciable difference in mileage.

Another consideration, if you drive much in Sport mode your mileage will usually take a big hit. It effectively locks out 5th and 6th gear so rpm is high, increasing consumption.

Another consideration, if you drive much in Sport mode your mileage will usually take a big hit. It effectively locks out 5th and 6th gear so rpm is high, increasing consumption.

Always on D or Comfort, never on Sport. Too fast already. As I said, I'm an olde rman and drives like one.

StPark,
Have you checked the tire pressure?
I always keep mine at 35PSI at all corners.

Look at your temp gauge. You are going to get poor mileage until the needle gets to the middle of the gauge.

Back