Auto Trans - Hard Shifts...

991.8L

:
99 Mazda Protege LX 1.8
My last tranny failed at 130k (12 yrs)... I opted to put a low-mileage tranny from a 99 1.8.... it had a claimed 41,000kms on the clock.. I also opted for a one year warranty. It was shipped to mr transmission and installed. When I called to ask how it drove, he told me that the ECU was "learning" how the new trans was operating and it was shifting a bit hard, but it should get better after a few hours of driving.

I've put about 1-2000kms on the car since and its still shifting harder than it should (when compared to my last tranny before it failed). It has an aftermarket transmission filter, and its using Mercon 5 trans fluid (previously there was Dexron 3).. i know there is a difference because the fluid smells awful in comparison.. not burnt just awful.

My question is this... what can be causing the hard shifts? When I mean hard.. its not a slip.. but its more of a jolt from changing into the next gear. Its there maybe 40% of the time, not every shift is hard.

Fluid level is good.... could it be the shift solenoids? Do you think the scrap yard would warranty a repair or only direct failure of the part? Is it possible that the transmission mount needs replacement?

Have you tried changing your tranny fluid? Use something compatible eg. Redline D4 ATF or Mobil1 ATF that's mazda M-V compatible

I did a complete 6L swap from Mercon 5 to genuine Mazda M5 fluid.. car ran great for about a week and now its back to its old self.. its like a kick in the stomach when it upshifts.

Back