Auto sport-shift transmission noise

shumax

Has anyone with the auto sport shift noticed this noise---

when I pull away from a stop, I hear a faint whine; almost like an electric motor. It's not loud at all and almost sounds like a whistle. I remember reading somewhere here that the engine has a habit of making a whistle noise when cold and under acceleration--maybe I am confusing that for the tranny? I sometimes think so because the noise goes away around 20mph. Either the whistling engine goes away, or the road noise from tires, exhaust, etc. is over powering the tranny whine/whistling engine.

The car shifts normal--firm when it's cold, but smoother when it warms up. Up-shifts are always smooth. The 2-1 downshift is noticable, but it has always been that way. I've noticed the whine for the last 10k and just had the tranny fluid flushed at the dealer at 30k. It made the car shift smoother, but the whine/whistle is still there.

I think that I am paranoid as the car runs fine otherwise, but I want to be sure. I'm tempted to put the car on jacks and put it in drive to see what happens.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Curt B. Shumaker

Mine has 10k and I have noticed the same noise, to me it seems like a whirring noise coming from the passengers side, I heard that it was the torq converter when it is cold. I am able to hear the smallest noises in the car and this one bugs the heck out of me. I am under warranty for another 40k, so if there is a problem, I can get Mazda to pay for it. I would like to have it gone though. Maybe someone can tell us exactly what is causing the noise.

Back