AudioPilot vs Autmatic Level Control-Do they even work?

jhu8

:
16 CX-5 GT AWD w/ Tech
So my experience is coming from someone with AudioPilot since I have the Bose system, but can anyone comment on if these systems are working for them? Particularly Audiopilot. As explained here http://infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com/entertainment-sound?language=en-US, ALC seems straight forward and will adjust the volume as neccesary based on speed. Audiopilot's description seems to be similar but with different terminology, but appears to be getting at the same point.

Thing is, I never seem to hear any change in my volume when driving. Even when getting off the highway and coming to a stop, I feel I have to always turn down my system. From the picture from that site I posted, it looks like ALC has a setting where you can adjust the sensitivity. Similarly to how it's been in previous cars for me(Ford). But AudioPilot is just on/off. Mine is on but I don't notice anything. Can anyone comment on these features and if they notice theirs working or not.

I concur with your thoughts. It's not like the previous Mazda ALC where a selectable amount of compression can be applied to achieve a more consistent level. Rather, it is supposed to monitor the cabin noise and adjust the output level to compensate. I'm pretty sure they intended it to work the way they say, but my ears don't detect it controlling the volume no matter what road noise is present.

However, they do mention that AudioPilot reacts only to sustained noise sources. That could mean that it is keying off of specific frequencies (well after the speaker output has been subtracted out). Road noise is not very consistent. There is a fair amount of variability in it which could be fooling their detection algorithm.

My experience in the 2015 Bose system is like yours, In fact I would have missed it; if not for your post! Lol, if it truly is present

Of course we could presume that the function is so fine/precise that we do not even hear the subtle changes...nah...

Last edited:
I can tell that the ALC is working. To me, it's more noticeable when my music volume is high (louder than "normal" listening levels). Traveling at 80mph on Hwy 5, and then stopping for gas, the change in volume is pretty apparent to me. As for the Audiopilot, I have mine set to "on" but I can't say that I've noticed much difference between the "on" and "off" positions.

I can tell that the ALC is working. To me, it's more noticeable when my music volume is high (louder than "normal" listening levels). Traveling at 80mph on Hwy 5, and then stopping for gas, the change in volume is pretty apparent to me. As for the Audiopilot, I have mine set to "on" but I can't say that I've noticed much difference between the "on" and "off" positions.

I'm pretty certain you can't have both. You either have one or the other. If you have the Bose, which I'm thinking you do based on your car description, then you don't have ALC. You just have AudioPilot.

You're correct, I was thinking of the Audiopilot and Centerpoint controls, and mistaking that for ALC. It is still pretty apparent to me that the system works at louder levels from speed. It's not as obvious as with some other vehicles, but still.
6ba1e2cccb9c91caba3be0e388e58da4.jpg

...sent...

I see you have centerpoint on, I wonder if you notice the change more if you have that on. I have mine off. Will have to try it out.

I've had mine on since day 1 and have never noticed one slight difference in volume. Coming from my '04 RX8 that also had this feature, I would always hear the difference from freeway, to residential roads to complete stops. It was very noticeable.

Same here. I can never tell the AudioPilot is functioning.

I found this link where the Bose AudioPilot technology is explained and includes a visual simulation under various conditions:

http://worldwide.bose.com/axa/en_au/web/popup_automotive_audiopilot/page.html

(NOTE: the link points to Flash content that isn't viewable on most tablets or phones - use a laptop or desktop instead)

It says that it uses a tiny microphone to measure the inside cabin noise. I wonder where it is and if it is missing, dead or not wired correctly on my vehicle.

I can see how that would be hard to tell when it's working as it's not just a volume control.

I found this link where the Bose AudioPilot technology is explained and includes a visual simulation under various conditions:
http://worldwide.bose.com/axa/en_au/web/popup_automotive_audiopilot/page.html

(NOTE: the link points to Flash content that isn't viewable on most tablets or phones - use a laptop or desktop instead)

Hey, the link opens fine on my MS Surface tablet.

It says that it uses a tiny microphone to measure the inside cabin noise. I wonder where it is and if it is missing, dead or not wired correctly on my vehicle.

Yeah, my Volvo S80 has a similar implementation and it's so subtle it's hard to tell whether it's doing much of anything. I think it's just the nature of the beast.

Every once in a while I think I make myself believe it's working.

I would rather just have speed sensitive volume control.

Back