Are you concerned about signal relaying theft?

I'm not worried ... The thieves would prolly bring it back the first time they had to buy a gallon of diesel for it! ;)
I pulled up to pump #2 and saw that the car before put $4.00 of gas in. I thought to myself "where the heck is he going to drive to on $4.00 of gas, pump #3?

relay-car-theft_3.jpg
Criminals in my area are well...pretty stupid and crude. Typical checking for unlocked doors and stealing catallactic convertors. They always get caught eventually. Typical 2 steps forward mirage but really 3-4 steps backwards reality paradigm.

A criminal smart enough, stealthy enough, AND patient enough as the dude in the illustration should really be stealing high end cars where the risk/reward makes it worth it. If I were a criminal with such skillsets I'd "tag" cars whom are in rich residential areas where neighbors can't see me. Not only would I hack your car I'd hack you home/alarm system.

I'd plan my licks from reverse. The escape plan must be 100% full-proof. Period. The plan is for me to get (to my) home with the stolen goods and not get caught, give away my identity, nor be in harms way. I need to be in and out of the target home in less than 5 minutes. Out of 20 potential high-end jobs I scope out only 1-2 qualify. The people on my team need to think exactly like me. No deviation to the plan. No bragging. No face-timing, ect. I'd know when to quit and turn legit.

I got the jump on a couple of guys from the Ferrari forums. Who wants to join my team?

It's cliche, but police will tell you it's mostly true - they don't catch the smart ones.

The people on my team need to think exactly like me. No deviation to the plan. No bragging. No face-timing, ect. I'd know when to quit and turn legit.

I got the jump on a couple of guys from the Ferrari forums. Who wants to join my team?
Major rule of crime, don't cheat with someone who has less to loose than you do

My question is: Did theblooms get it yet? I understand the confusion if you don't have a car with the tech being discussed. It is one of the reasons I love my old school '20 Nissan Frontier. While it does have push button start, the doors are opened with old "press unlock on the fob" tech. I guess if I left the doors open it could be stolen pretty easily with the techniques shown above.

Actually, not just about parking outside over-night.
While you are out for dinner, one guy could be sitting next to your table, and the other drive away your car, with your fob in pocket the entire time.
It is that easy for them if they want your car. (targeted)

Some claims that the signal amplifier can relay a fob from 30ft away. Even if you leave your fob far away from the outer walls, it might not be enough. Cannot confirm that.

Sure, we should not be paranoid about everything, but a simple box can eliminate some of the worry. And, BTW, the box looks great for $15. :)

The theft techniques discussed above relate to the kind of keyless entry where you don't need to touch the fob to unlock the door.

The key to understanding this is that a car with that system emits a constant signal. "Constant" is just that--all the time. If you keep that in mind when walking through the example in the above post you see how the thieves are pirating the car's constant signal, using it to wake up the fob, and then pirating the fobs response signal to unlock the door and presumably start the car.

It would be simpler if it was the fob that emitted the constant signal, not the car. But then you'd be constantly replacing the fob battery. That would also eliminate a a couple of steps for thieves.

If you bought a new car today in the US you'd probably have a hard time finding one that doesn't come with a "touchless" fob. Maybe a low trim entry level vehicle. It is standard on CX-5, for example, from at least Touring on up, maybe in Sport too, I don't know. That's in the US anyway.

Personally, I see no need to take any precautions such as keeping the fob in a metal box. Other's circumstances may vary. Obviously, this theft technique is pretty much limited to cars parked in driveways, the low hanging fruit. They're not going to mess with breaking into garages. If you park on a street with houses they would have to guess which residence has the fob; that involves trial and error when time is of the essence. They'll skip that one. If you live in an apartment building or while you are at work? Fuggetaboutit. They have no idea where the fob is and probably couldn't get close enough to it anyway regardless.

These kinds of sophisticated thieves are opportunists and that means cars in driveways as the prime targets.

The keyless system on my Kawasaki motorcycle works in a slightly different way.

With the fob within 5 feet of the bike's ignition the 'key' is pressed down. The bike sends out a signal. The fob, which is always 'listening', 'hears' this signal and if it's the correct signal the fob sends out it's own signal telling the bike that it's ok to allow the key to be turned to the on position which powers up the ignition system in perpetration of starting the bike. There's also a built in fail safe RFID system in case of a dead fob battery.

This system saves a bit on the battery since a signal isn't constantly being transmitted.

A criminal smart enough, stealthy enough, AND patient enough as the dude in the illustration should really be stealing high end cars where the risk/reward makes it worth it.
Not necessarily. A stolen car is extremely hard to "launder" and re-register. Maybe ship it overseas to some third world outpost where palms can be greased and a "clean" title assigned. There's a lot of effort and cost presuming you can find buyers. I read in a link previously posted that Ford F-150s are going for up to $160,000 on the Chinese black market. That would require a multinational operation with a lot of skill to avoid detection in shipping the vehicle out and connections on the back end to launder it.

If instead you chop that expensive vehicle for parts it's not like the owners of like vehicles are scrounging the no-questions-asked junk yards and used parts sellers, or want used parts at all. And there are a lot fewer of them in the first place that need parts when those cars get old and cheap.

There's a reason why the most frequently stolen vehicles are older mainstream, high volume models. Sure, the fact these vehicles are the most prevalent because of production volumes is a factor. But consider in 2020 the most frequently stolen vehicle was the 2000 Honda Civic, a 20 year old model. The message is clear--professional thieves are stealing old, high volume cars to chop where the demand for cheap used parts is the highest.

It also occurs to me that if one has a vehicle still under warranty it is the most unlikely of targets. There's little demand for used mechanical parts since the manufacturer is paying for new ones, OEM or aftermarket. Also people with newer cars are less likely to carry minimal liability-only insurance (vs. 2000 Civics). Folks with late model cars tend to carry full coverage (mandatory if financed). If they need body parts after an accident they'll go to a shop for new parts and pay the deductible.

The following shows the most frequently stolen cars in the US in 2020:

Besides not the models stolen, look at the most frequently stolen model years, none more current than 2018, many much older. These are out-of-warranty cars or at worst about to come off drive train warranties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, not just about parking outside over-night.
While you are out for dinner, one guy could be sitting next to your table, and the other drive away your car, with your fob in pocket the entire time.
It is that easy for them if they want your car. (targeted)
That requires waiting in the parking lot for a good target to show up, then stalking in disguise to avoid identification on security cameras (all black ninja garb does not cut it, lol), waiting to get a table, working suspiciously with laptops, while people are coming and going in the parking lot.

For professional thieves using this method, risk and time would say to just drive around in the dead of night and find targets parked in driveways. Nowadays, people have so much junk piled up in garages or more cars than can fit; cars are sitting in driveways overnight all over the place. This is especially true in places like Florida where there are no basements and thus more cluttered garages while other folks only have carports.

Is signal relaying theft real? Absolutely, and it works in a quite simple manner. "Advanced keyless entry" has been around for quite some time, and aside from using a type of Faraday cage I don't know how you can prevent this from happening.
I am not concerned though. I would need to be followed from my car to where I go, and it needs to be close enough to the car that they can transmit the signal but not close enough that I can see my car. And as one of the thieves has to be close to the key (which I carry in my pocket) they can be spotted by me or the security cameras in public.
I assume the most common scenario is that they steal the car when you're home -- but I live in an apartment building so that's not a real possibility. Either way, this is why we have insurance.

I assume they would mostly steal BMWs and Mercedes but it seems like they target Honda CRVs for some reason.

I assume they would mostly steal BMWs and Mercedes but it seems like they target Honda CRVs for some reason.
Again, the great majority of cars stolen by professional thieves are headed to a chop shop. So, what is the best market for used parts, no questions asked? Older models that had high production volumes.

As I stated earlier, they are programming keys using the vehicle's ODB port. So go ahead and hide your key fob in a lead box. LOL

"According to police, the suspects would enter the vehicle and reprogram the ignition computer to recognize a new key, or fob, allowing it to be driven away."

As I stated earlier, they are programming keys using the vehicle's ODB port. So go ahead and hide your key fob in a lead box. LOL

"According to police, the suspects would enter the vehicle and reprogram the ignition computer to recognize a new key, or fob, allowing it to be driven away."

To beat a dead horse, cars left in driveways overnight are the lowest hanging fruit. From that link:

“Typically what we were seeing was that groups of thieves would target affluent residential areas in the GTA” Det. Scott Cresswell of the York Regional Police Auto Cargo Theft Unit said in a video statement online. “They would generally scout cars in the early evening hours. Returning in the early morning hours, they would force entry to the vehicle.”

If you're worried about this (I am not) and you have a garage full of junk, your best defense is organize, declutter, whatnot that garage and use it for the intended purpose: parking your car. If you have 3 cars and a 2 car garage, park a moderately priced one still under warranty in the driveway. Any Mazda would qualify. There's not much of a market for for chopped parts in cars under warranty, and moderately priced vehicles, such as any Mazda, have no "export" value. If you have to park a car in the driveway you could leave a note on the seat that says, "This car has a GPS tracker. Good luck finding it, a*shole." ;)

To beat another dead horse, when high value vehicles are stolen (in that case averaging $75,000), they ain't going to chop shops. It is done by a highly organized and internationally connected cartel with the intent to export them to places where the title can be laundered. There are not many of those kinds of organizations and not many cars stolen with this intent, and certainly nothing that Mazda has ever made. A drug cartel "subsidiary" would be best situated to pull this off. Stacks of Benjamins or crypto currencies figure in somewhere along the line. ;) To wit:

"The vehicles were then driven directly to the Port of Montreal or loaded into a sea container in Toronto and transported to Montreal by rail. The containers were then loaded onto ships and delivered to buyers in Africa or the United Arab Emirates, mainly through ports in Nigeria and Ghana."

Not necessarily. A stolen car is extremely hard to "launder" and re-register. Maybe ship it overseas to some third world outpost where palms can be greased and a "clean" title assigned. .

Very true, a lot of the montreal stolen cars ends up in Haiti, where they don’t even bother taking the canadian license plate off while they keep driving them. And of course they are not luxury models.

Is that after they smash the window to get access? :) :) :)

IMO: These issues are an indictment on the auto industry and in no way exclusive to Mazda. I am affected by this potential issue with Nissan (Infiniti) and Toyota (Lexus) products as well.

Last edited:
Is that after they smash the window to get access? :) :) :)

IMO: These issues are an indictment on the auto industry and in no way exclusive to Mazda. I am affected by this potential issue with Nissan (Infiniti) and Toyota (Lexus) products as well.
No one is stealing Mazda's.

I'm far more concerned with someone cutting the catalytic converter which is up tremendously around the city over the past year or so.

Pretty sure where my fob is kept its far too far away from the car or anyone trying to steal a signal so yeah I am really not concerned here. My spare is kept in a fireproof safe.

Back