Are you concerned about signal relaying theft?

I'm far more concerned with someone cutting the catalytic converter which is up tremendously around the city over the past year or so.

Pretty sure where my fob is kept its far too far away from the car or anyone trying to steal a signal so yeah I am really not concerned here. My spare is kept in a fireproof safe.
On the bright side, makes for a good excuse for a catless aftermarket system lol.

CAT theft seems to happen more often on some models like Prius, Element, Tacoma... Thieves like vehicles that have higher ground clearance so that they don't have to lift the vehicles to get to CATs. They like Prius because they can get two instead of one. Mazda also has two, but the 1st one is attached to the engine.... hard to get to in short time.
Mazdas are not prime target of CAT theft ... yet.

Absolutely not. This is a completely over blown fear. Is this possible? Yes. Does it happen? So exceptionally rarely as to be a non issue. Just a way for some companies to sell... pretty boxes. :D

People can also still your info from your credit card in a similar fashion. I don't have a faraday wallet either. ;)

@CX-5um Your fob is not constantly talking to your car.
Incorrect, the city I live in has had massive amount of thefts of vehicles because of this. This is not isolated. One person in my city had her Highlander stolen 4 times! She used all the boxes, kept the fobs away blah blah blah. All of it. Faraday boxes do not work btw. The only safe way to protect your vehicle is to put it in a garage.

The bags I mentioned appear to adequately block the signals on my vehicles. I can even get in my vehicles and keys are not detected inside of the pouch. It is easy to not place key in the protected area of pouch though if one isn't paying attention.

Incorrect, the city I live in has had massive amount of thefts of vehicles because of this. This is not isolated. One person in my city had her Highlander stolen 4 times! She used all the boxes, kept the fobs away blah blah blah. All of it. Faraday boxes do not work btw. The only safe way to protect your vehicle is to put it in a garage.
What city would that be where this is 'so prevalent'?

I personally think that it's important to pay attention to your local news if this is a concern. If you see a rise in signal relay theft in your area, it would make sense to take precautions, assuming your car is a potential target. If there is no mention of it, it's probably not something to worry about as much.

That said, if someone wants to pay $5-10 for an extra layer of security, I see no problems with that. $10 will not break the bank, and it's their money to spend.

I guess until you have your own vehicle stolen, or personally have a family member or friend have one stolen many are not concerned with theft by key fob. Most of my vehicles that are daily driven have security that is not dependent on low jacking the fob anyway so a box or other ways to prevent copying the fob code would not be what I would ever choose.

Most thefts around here (Chicago area), not counting car jackings, are done in the winter. That's when people with keyless ignitions think they can go out, start their vehicle and go back in the house. They are unaware that you can drive a keyless ignition vehicle that is running without the fob being in it. You can drive it until you turn it off. You just have to put up with that annoying message on your dash. :)

Most thefts around here (Chicago area), not counting car jackings, are done in the winter. That's when people with keyless ignitions think they can go out, start their vehicle and go back in the house. They are unaware that you can drive a keyless ignition vehicle that is running without the fob being in it. You can drive it until you turn it off. You just have to put up with that annoying message on your dash. :)
Thinking exactly what you posted ^^^^^
I went with my own independent remote start. If you do not have the key fob as soon as you place the transmission in gear the engine dies and the alarm is activate and I get a notification.

Airport parking lot thefts are up like crazy this past year here so my biggest precaution these days is not parking at the airport.

Last edited:
That's when people with keyless ignitions think they can go out, start their vehicle and go back in the house. They are unaware that you can drive a keyless ignition vehicle that is running without the fob being in it. You just have to put up with that annoying message on your dash.
Someone on another forum just posted this exact thing a few weeks ago re: Remote Starting. One guy replying to another who said it was risky to do: "Why? It's not like you can drive away without the key?"
My wife's car will beep at you non stop if you do but you can certainly drive away with it... like every single other car.

Last edited:
I actually think he was agreeing with you. It shows he lives in Ottawa, Canada. There's a ton of vehicle thefts there, but they aren't using any type of signal relaying devices.

Toyota & Lexus vehicle theft around Ottawa

Actual Viper > Viper Alarm system

fcc7e161-9256-40e2-b80c-b26565aef990_1920x1080.jpg

I would put a real looking fake snake in my car.

Someone on another forum just posted this exact thing a few weeks ago re: Remote Starting. One guy replying to another who said it was risky to do: "Why? It's not like you can drive away without the key?"
My wife's car will people at you non stop if you do but you can certainly drive away with it... like every single other car.

If you use a remote starter, normally you can’t drive away without the key in the car, so it is risk free.

If you don’t use a remote starter, start the car and then walk away, then yes anyone could jump in and drive away.

Ottawa, There have been a plethora of stories about Toyotas being stolen. As I said, one lady had her SUV stolen 4 times. She did all the right things and it still got lifted. Just google it, it's not hard.

I actually think he was agreeing with you. It shows he lives in Ottawa, Canada. There's a ton of vehicle thefts there, but they aren't using any type of signal relaying devices.
Incorrect, The theives sit outside in the car with a device and then the car unlocks. There is literal video footage of them. The little graphic someone posted is wrong. They can do it from a car on the street.

Incorrect, The theives sit outside in the car with a device and then the car unlocks. There is literal video footage of them. The little graphic someone posted is wrong. They can do it from a car on the street.

The graphic is not wrong, that is generally how signal relay theft (topic of this thread) is performed. That lady with the Highlander may have had her car stolen using a different/modified method of signal relay theft.

Back