Are there compelling performance mods for the 2.5??

One only has to look at the new Mazda Skyactiv 2.5 turbo motor in the new CX9 and compare it to the NA motor to find out if there is a difference mechanically between the two. I think it will only be a matter of time before Mazda trickles this turbo technology into other vehicles they have like maybe a turbo version of the Miata with the 2.0 or a Speed version of the 3 or 6 with the 2.5. 310 lb ft of torque would be a nice boost from the 185 the NA motor puts out. It wouldn't be very useful though with a FWD vehicle as I can already break my tires loose with 185 lb ft. It would be useful with the AWD system provided Mazda follows through with it.

As far as compelling modifications I think Mazda has left very little on the table as far as motor/transmission modifications go. These engines and transmissions are so complex and expensive now that it costs ridiculous amounts of money to modify them at a risk and if you do have that kind of cash and don't care about longevity than why not buy a purpose built vehicle from the factory or a real sports car and keep the economy sedans and family SUV for what they were built for. Lighter wheels and better tires and some weight reduction are still easy cheap modifications that might be worth while though.

One can also pick up a used Mazda Speed3, keep the SUV as it was intended for, and have all the fun they want with the engineering for reliability and predictability that only factory performance provides at a reasonable cost.

I've read 2 articles recently where Mazda big wigs said they will not increase the power in the Miata, and instead are looking at saving weight in every possible way.

Already got urbo kits for the ND miata. High performance cams ( i think miata cams) from OVT for the 2.p0op, might have some for the 2.5 soon.

Back