AP compatability

:
06 LS MS6
07 BM GT (shell has been struck from the roll)
Sorry if this has been beaten down in the past.

Is the AP universal out of the box with the maps that the user loads makeing it model specific?

Or is it sold model specific

Also, does it get slaved to a particular ecu once it is used, and therefore non transferable?

THANKS

Yes, if the previous owner divorces the AP from their ECU it can be remarried to a new car. When an AP is sold new for an MS3, it comes loaded with a selection of maps for that car. We also keep a series of maps for different modifications on our website, you can go there to read about what maps are available for your car here: http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=4332.

Travis
COBB Tuning

Yes, if the previous owner divorces the AP from their ECU it can be remarried to a new car. When an AP is sold new for an MS3, it comes loaded with a selection of maps for that car. We also keep a series of maps for different modifications on our website, you can go there to read about what maps are available for your car here: http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=4332.

Travis
COBB Tuning

How can it be confirmed the divorce took place? And if it was not divorced, what options are available to the new owner

The only way to determine if the unit is divorced is to plug it into your car and see if it will install. If it does not, the only way you can force an "unmarry" is to send the unit back to COBB to be wiped and reconfigured; this is a service we charge for. If you have any other questions send me a PM or call COBB Tuning customer service at 801-713-0035.

Travis
COBB Tuning

So you can't share and sell flashes. Cobb needs some protection to insure people are not steeling there work.

What's the point of marrying the AP to a specific ECU? Sounds a lot like copy-protection.

If Cobb didn't set it up that way, 5 buddies with the same car could all buy just 1 AP and all of them could get their cars tuned. Not exactly for to Cobb, or legal for that matter.

As with software and music copy-protection, this only ends up hurting the legitimate buyer: the AP not only marries itself to your ECU but it also marries your ECU to the AP, so that even the dealer can't reprogram the ECU. If your AP is lost or stolen, or just plain dies, you have to remove the ECU and send it to Cobb to be unlocked. I was considering buying the AP until I read this. Cobb deserves to be compensated for their efforts, but they can't hold my car hostage in the bargain.

Moreover, since they themselves reverse-engineered Mazda's copyrighted ECU software to develop the AP, it smacks of hypocrisy. And of course, if your engine is damaged because of the modded map and is fixed under warranty, they're again profiting at Mazda's expense.

Finally, $700 is a just plain ridiculous price for this thing. The hardware costs maybe $50. I'm constantly amazed at what modders are willing to shell out for mods. An efficient market this is not. More like a ripe candidate for open-sourcing.

Last edited:
As with software and music copy-protection, this only ends up hurting the legitimate buyer: the AP not only marries itself to your ECU but it also marries your ECU to the AP, so that even the dealer can't reprogram the ECU. If your AP is lost or stolen, or just plain dies, you have to remove the ECU and send it to Cobb to be unlocked. I was considering buying the AP until I read this. Cobb deserves to be compensated for their efforts, but they can't hold my car hostage in the bargain.

Moreover, since they themselves reverse-engineered Mazda's copyrighted ECU software to develop the AP, it smacks of hypocrisy. And of course, if your engine is damaged because of the modded map and is fixed under warranty, they're again profiting at Mazda's expense.

Finally, $700 is a just plain ridiculous price for this thing. The hardware costs maybe $50. I'm constantly amazed at what modders are willing to shell out for mods. An efficient market this is not. More like a ripe candidate for open-sourcing.

Then don't buy one.

Plenty of people are happy with theirs. They do what they advertise (and you don't have to shell out anywhere near $700 for one if you know where to look) and provides people with the ability to tune their own ECUs. If your AP gets lost or you allow it to be stolen, that's your own damn fault (and would be no different than - or perhaps not as bad as - if you lost your factory ECU or allowed it to be stolen)...

I'm constantly amazed at what asshat naysayers are willing to spew about products that they have no first-hand knowledge about. :p

Last edited:

seriously no one is making you buy it. $700 is a steal, for full access to the ecu, datalogging and virtual dyno capabilities, and also the ability to read and clear CEL. The ms3 is a small market, we are lucky anyone makes parts for us. Uninstall the ap before going to the dealer and you don't have a problem. Or you can go the cpe route pay $500 dollars, send in your ecu, and have to re-send it once the dealer flashes over it. Plus their flash only opens the throttle and provides no user control. To do anything else you need spend another 600 for the standback and if you want plug and play its even more.

Then don't buy one.

Plenty of people are happy with theirs. They do what they advertise (and you don't have to shell out anywhere near $700 for one if you know where to look) and provides people with the ability to tune their own ECUs. If your AP gets lost or you allow it to be stolen, that's your own damn fault (and would be no different than - or perhaps not as bad as - if you lost your factory ECU or allowed it to be stolen)...

I'm constantly amazed at what asshat naysayers are willing to spew about products that they have no first-hand knowledge about. :p

+1. some things are cheap and you buy them knowing you got a deal. where others you spend a little more to accentuate the other mods you have. so you buy all the mods leading up to the ap, spend some dough on the ap and bring all the other mods you have bought in the past to life. plus you can now change your parameters through their self tuner. this you would pay nearly 1000 for through cp-e. cant complain about that. plus i got mine for like 450 so i feel i made out on the deal.

Last edited:
As with software and music copy-protection, this only ends up hurting the legitimate buyer: the AP not only marries itself to your ECU but it also marries your ECU to the AP, so that even the dealer can't reprogram the ECU. If your AP is lost or stolen, or just plain dies, you have to remove the ECU and send it to Cobb to be unlocked.

IS THIS TRUE?

@Nliiitend1: Learn the rules of logical reasoning before posting idiotic replies.

Would you care to explain to me where my reasoning lacks logic??

(dunno)

I'll agree that there is a multitude of idotic replies on this board, but I don't think I'm the one spewing them... ;)

IS THIS TRUE?

This is true, and is the same as with any flashing tool...

The SCT Xcal series of flashers works exactly the same way, as does the Diablosport Predator line (as far as I know).

Though, I don't know exactly how "logical" the reasoning is that says that it "only ends up hurting the legitimate buyer." :dunno:

It's merely a way to keep companies from letting people rip them off...Do you have a better solution??

+1. some things are cheap and you buy them knowing you got a deal. where others you spend a little more to accentuate the other mods you have. so you buy all the mods leading up to the ap, spend some dough on the ap and bring all the other mods you have bought in the past to life. plus you can now change your parameters through their self tuner. this you would pay nearly 1000 for through cp-e. cant complain about that. plus i got mine for like 450 so i feel i made out on the deal.

Uh, look RKMO made a post about a serious problem, In it he bitched about price, which to me was irelevant to the point, and distracting.

COBB can charge whatever they want for any product they market. regardless of actual or percieved quality, their own manufacturing costs etc . end of story. there is no such thing as "unfair" pricing. as several posters said 'don't buy it'

The point for me was hijacking my ECU to COBB.
that is a not gonna work
COBB'S rights end at the tip of that obd2 connector
IF using the AP does indeed slave your ecu to COBB, then that should sent alarm bells off in all who bought it.
It should be made clear to people BEFORE they buy it

For me, (and it is a personal decision) that would be a deal breaker

Travis?? is this reverse marrige a fact?

Uh, look RKMO made a post about a serious problem, In it he bitched about price, which to me was irelevant to the point, and distracting.

COBB can charge whatever they want for any product they market. regardless of actual or percieved quality, their own manufacturing costs etc . end of story. there is no such thing as "unfair" pricing. as several posters said 'don't buy it'

The point for me was hijacking my ECU to COBB.
that is a not gonna work
COBB'S rights end at the tip of that obd2 connector
IF using the AP does indeed slave your ecu to COBB, then that should sent alarm bells off in all who bought it.
It should be made clear to people BEFORE they buy it

For me, (and it is a personal decision) that would be a deal breaker

Travis?? is this reverse marrige a fact?

It doesn't "enslave" your ECU. It simply requires that you properly remove/uninstall the AP if you want your stock tune back (since the ECU can only store one tune at a time).

No alarm bells are going off for me...This is par for the course. Every aftermarket flasing tool works this way, and I've never had a problem arise because of it.

Could there be extenuating circumstances that might make getting the AP unmarried inconvenient? Of course. Does that meant it's a bad product? No.

seriously no one is making you buy it. $700 is a steal, for full access to the ecu, datalogging and virtual dyno capabilities, and also the ability to read and clear CEL. The ms3 is a small market, we are lucky anyone makes parts for us. Uninstall the ap before going to the dealer and you don't have a problem. Or you can go the cpe route pay $500 dollars, send in your ecu, and have to re-send it once the dealer flashes over it. Plus their flash only opens the throttle and provides no user control. To do anything else you need spend another 600 for the standback and if you want plug and play its even more.

QFT.

Last edited:
Back