Anyone receive the Warranty Extension Program SSP92 (Power Transfer Unit) letter ?

I don't think resale value would be much affected. The CX-9 is a low volume car. Also, I happen to have one of the Camry's that was affected with the unintended acceleration problem and in the immediate period of the investigation, the resale was about the same as before the fiasco.

Anyone with an AWD 07-09 receive ssp92 (PTU) letter? I have an AWD 08 an only received the brake booster one.

I haven't had any issues with the PTU but it seems that only 2010 and up are receiving that letter. If we all have the same transfer case shouldn't 07-09 receive one as well.

Might be a production problem on the Ford side.
Recalls are usually related product batch (date and factory of production, etc.).

Who knows?
The coverage might be extended to earlier model years later if they find the problem to be more extensive.
I hope we get the extension of coverage also.

Mine is running great.
People who ride in my CX9 couldn't believe it is a 6-year old vehicle.
I change transmission/differential fluid on schedule (my own).

Might be a production problem on the Ford side.
Recalls are usually related product batch (date and factory of production, etc.).

Who knows?
The coverage might be extended to earlier model years later if they find the problem to be more extensive.
I hope we get the extension of coverage also.

Mine is running great.

I only received the Brake Booster letter for my 08 CX-9 GT

Well said....and I thought I was the only one lying on the back shelf of the old Chrysler...

I'm glad Mazda has extended the warranty on the brake booster and transfer case - though I think I would be happier if there were a full blown recall to replace substandard/defective/weak parts with upgraded replacements. I don't think that will happen with the transfer case, but in the current climate it is possible that NHTSA will eventually force Mazda to issue a brake booster recall. While I welcome the letters we are receiving from Mazda, in the absence of a full recall these letters are like announcements to the general public that these cars have known defects. (What's the current resale value of a ticking time bomb?)

On the other hand, Mazda is certainly not unique in all of this. Public scrutiny of defects is the new normal and few companies come out smelling like roses. Our 2001 Odyssey had a warranty extension for faulty automatic transmissions. Ours failed just after the extended warranty expired and we got no consideration from Honda. Worse, the replacement transmission were apparently just “rebuilt” versions of the original transmissions with most of the defects not fixed. Many owners suffered identical failures with the replacement units. (Sounds like the Mazda transfer cases?!)

Toyota's unintended acceleration debacle is a terrible example of safety fears morphing into a public relations nightmare. I was really shocked to read of Michael Barr's testimony in the October 2013 Toyota civil liability trial. He was granted many, many hours of access to Toyota's throttle position software source code (much more than NASA had) and what he found is really distressing. Toyota's software engineers showed a shocking disregard for industry-wide safety standards. Toyota really had no rejoinder to Barr's testimony and they settled the case immediately after he testified.

It has taken Ford years now to fix their Ford MyTouch software problems. Not everyone listens to Consumer Reports, but I have to believe that all those black dots and the arrival of Ford in the “least reliable” slot cost them a fortune in lost sales. How is it possible that a company of their size couldn't get their software s**t together after so many years?

And what are we to say about GM and there cheap-ass attempt to save a few pennies on ignition switches? Their safety defect monitoring process seems so screwed up that it looks like no one there has any idea of what actually happened and why. How can buyers have confidence when GM itself can't explain what when wrong and why?

Designing safe and reliable cars is apparently a really difficult task. Throw in the normal human inclination to hubris, add enormously large and complex organizational systems, combine with a profit-driven inclination to cut costs and voil: recipe for disaster. Nevertheless, cars are safer and more reliable now than they were when I was growing up. My kids are safer in our CX-9 then my sister and I were when were young, lying on the back shelf of the old Chevy, without airbags, seatbelts or crumple zones.

Well said....and I thought I was the only one lying on the back shelf of the old Chrysler...

Got my letter too, but i'm not quite sure exactly how to identify symptoms. My CX-9 takes 10 miles to come to a complete stop anyhow from day 1, not sure how it could get much worse. Small rotors, small calipers, small pads.

Mine is running great.

What frequency do you change at?

I trust the advisors but not Mazda. They better get their act together before people start running away from them. I had the transfer case replaced and rear seal leaking a couple of months ago. Last week a I almost run a police check point because the brakes were hard as a rock, hissing sound from the pedal, engine clunking, check engine light on, engine rpm up and down several times every time I depress the brake pedal. Totally unsafe to drive. I went to the dealer on Monday. They gave me a loaner and had to order a power booster from Mazda, vacuumed the line, new brake fluid and some switch. just picked up my car from the dealer yesterday (Friday). Almost a week to fix a second big problem with my 2012 cx-9 (42k miles). I just received both letters last Saturday, btw. When I was at the dealer picking up my car, there was a lady with two little kids in the back sit picking up her 2012 cx-9 which had the transfer case replace because extremely laud noise coming from the engine compartment and unresponsive accelerator. her car had 30k miles. I warned her about the brake issue which most likely follow soon. Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi all, first time poster here, I am enjoying reading everyone's posts! We have a 2010 CX9 GT AWD that we have owned since brand new. 48,000 miles. We got the transfer case letter and the brake letter at the same time. While I appreciate that they extended the warranty for these items, I have to say my confidence is shaken a bit in the car overall, especially after reading the stories above. I do realize all car companies have issues, and these things happen, and I give credit to Mazda for extending the warranty on these items, but now I am just waiting to hear the noise or have issues braking. So far, so good though - no problems. But part of me wishes the items would actually happen so we could get them fixed and not worry. We're considering trading it in anyway, as we don't drive it as much as we used to because the gas cost has been hitting the wallet hard. We tend to leave it parked all weekend and use our 2013 Honda Accord for around town things just to save gas. So...CX-5 here we come (maybe!)...

Would the Mazda extended warranty for the transfer case be the same for second owners (7 years/90k mi if I understand correctly? Im about to buy a used 2010 CX-9 Grand Touring with 60k miles for $18k, and the transfer case failure rate scares the heck out of me. Just about every vehicle has its issues, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, but this one is a tad more expensive. Sounds like the average repair cost is around $1,400.

Is the rate of failure all that common or are there a vocal minority. Its hard to gauge the rate of failure since its a low volume car.

Thanks! I really like the CX-9, and this is the one thing holding me back.

#1 - I think the warranty would go with the car, regardless of owner. Its extended factory warranty.

#2 - I don't think the failure rate is high, I just think you hear when things go bad. Everyone is quiet when all is good.

#3 - We're over 60k on our 2011 CX9 AWD. No issues at all to this point.

#4 - Welcome to the forum.

#1 - I think the warranty would go with the car, regardless of owner. Its extended factory warranty.

#2 - I don't think the failure rate is high, I just think you hear when things go bad. Everyone is quiet when all is good.

#3 - We're over 60k on our 2011 CX9 AWD. No issues at all to this point.

#4 - Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the comforting quick reply. I also wonder when the transfer case goes, how often it effects the transmission as well. That would be an expensive combo.

Burley - We have a 2010 CX9 Grand Touring AWD that we bought brand new - it has 52,000 miles and when we got the letters (Txfer case AND brake booster) we panicked and were about to get rid of it until we thought it through and realized we were fully covered for another few years and until 90K anyway for both issues...and we LOVE the car and were heartbroken to get rid of it, so we're keeping it. And like the other poster, we have had no transfer case issues, knock on wood. In fact at the last dealer service I asked them about this and they said everything looks good - and that the first thing they look for in cases like that is any stains or leakage and ours was clean. So maybe have a Mazda place look at it and get their opinion. We decided that we're sticking it out. Having said that, when the extended warranty is up we will probably get rid of the car anyway as it will be time for something new anyway and it would be painful to spend that kind of money fixing a then-7+ year old car.

Mazda really is on top of the transfer case issues. My 2013 had a very small chassis shudder when taking a very low speed turn. Most people never even noticed it. My local Mazda dealership replaced the Transfer case since it was a known issue. The problem still continued. Ended up being a bearing in the rear end. Which they brought it a full brand new rear differential, and replaced that for free. Ive been absolutely blown away at the service work Mazda has done. Every time they gave me a loaner, and made the entire thing as easy as possible.

And with that, i HIGHLY recommend people to purchase through Anderson Mazda if your in the Northern IL area.

Would the Mazda extended warranty for the transfer case be the same for second owners (7 years/90k mi if I understand correctly? Im about to buy a used 2010 CX-9 Grand Touring with 60k miles for $18k, and the transfer case failure rate scares the heck out of me. Just about every vehicle has its issues, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, but this one is a tad more expensive. Sounds like the average repair cost is around $1,400.

Is the rate of failure all that common or are there a vocal minority. Its hard to gauge the rate of failure since its a low volume car.

Thanks! I really like the CX-9, and this is the one thing holding me back.
Im in the same boat, except I just bought it and it's a 2011 AWD Touring. Love the vehicle but this makes me nervous. 50k miles.

I did a fair amount of looking around and research but somehow missed this. [emoji32]

Last edited:
Back