Anyone here go HID's in their P5?

55w ballasts? Dang dude, that's crankin light!! Everywhere I've read is telling me 35w is more than enough for the street.

As to the cut off inth epic afew posts up, that's just about like stock bulbs. I def. will be going this route. Retrofit is on hold. I'm wanting a turbo more.

Tylor

i just put a set of apexcone 55watt high/lo in my MSP there so nice went in to smooth

55w ballasts? Dang dude, that's crankin light!! Everywhere I've read is telling me 35w is more than enough for the street.

As to the cut off inth epic afew posts up, that's just about like stock bulbs. I def. will be going this route. Retrofit is on hold. I'm wanting a turbo more.

Tylor

Yeah, 55w is more than enough for powering the space shuttle with a solar panel. I ordered the 35w, got the 55w by mistake. I just put them in anyway. They are also the Apexcone.

i just put a set of apexcone 55watt high/lo in my MSP there so nice went in to smooth

The Apexcone is a nice kit. Super easy to wire up. Since we've got two bulbs in the P5's, it's just the lows for us.

Where you ordering the Apexcone kit from? Is there a vendor on here selling them? I found em for $120 plus $30 for the lifetime warranty from apexcone.com

Tylor

Do you have lifetime warranty? Is there any visual difference between the 35v to the 55v ballasts? I guess it has an aditional heatsink or something.

Do you have lifetime warranty? Is there any visual difference between the 35v to the 55v ballasts? I guess it has an aditional heatsink or something.

I did not get the lifetime warranty because I was being cheap. I have not seen the 35w ballasts, so I don't know the differences. I just know mine has the power rating on the bottom of it and says 55w.

I'm always wondering if these after market HID would be a good idea for stock headlamp housing...chicoloco seems to say something about the pattern coming out isn't flat or something, can't remember. I want more light output but I don't want people to flash on me. If I install an aftermarket kit, will it look like what Protephile have in the picture that the output will be a flat line?
Just curious if there is any disadvantage of going for HID...

Josh

It is not the best idea for a stock headlamp. They were not designed for HID's. They were designed for halogen bulbs. But, some of the HID kits work ok, as long as you re-aim the housings.

What Chico is talking about the line not be flat, is the cut-off. He is running a projector retrofit now that gives a very crisp, flat cut off. There is no light above the cutoff, except the flare to the right to illuminate the shoulder.

Example-thanks Chico
DSCN3976.jpg

HID's in a halogen headlight do not have a sharp cut-off. It's sorta rounded some.

Example-thanks Protephile
attachment.php

So, in conclusion, HID is not a bad addition to stock housings. It will never be as good as a true projector retrofit, but, if aimed low enough, HID's will provide a significat light improvment.

Tylor

No problem. I am running ECE projectors wich are like that. DOTs are less pronounced. Although Protege/5 headlights are really good halogens they can handle hids better than most headlights of it's date.

Last edited:
So, the horizontal oval shape light pattern like what Protephile has is achieved by the HID light bulb right? I mean so if I buy the kit it would look just like that with no modification?
Second thing is the installation should be fairly easy right? take the halogen bulb out, connect the harness to the ballast, connect the ballast to the HID, stick the ballast to someplace in the bay, then aim the light output. No soldering or cutting right?

The Apexcone is a nice kit. Super easy to wire up. Since we've got two bulbs in the P5's, it's just the lows for us.

SATimko, what do you mean by the sentence? I guess you with the apexcone HID only the lows are replaced and high beam left unchanged right?

Josh

Just ordered the 4300K H7 kit for the low beams. With Holiday shipping, I'm hoping it shows up soon. As soon as it does, I'll be taking comparison shots. I've got stock bulbs in wifey's car, right now I've got Silver Star Ultras, then, I'll have the HID setup. Stay tuned.

Oh, and upgrading the fogs to PIAA Ion yellow fogs and bending the little tab inside up.

And, I'll be doing the "Fogs always on" mod so I can run em seperate.

Tylor

the little metal tab you can see inside the fog that limits the fogs to dang near straight in front of the car. Raise it ever so slightly to allow little more light. I'll try to get before and after pics of that as well. All the mods I"m doing now, if there isn't a how-to, I'm gonna try to do one.

Tylor

Back