Anybody dyno the 2.5? Links?

davesxx01

:
2016 CX-5 GT
As stated, has anybody dynoed the 2.5 AWD or have a link to a test? Seriously thinking my car is way underpowered as it can barely keep itself in 6th gear at highway speeds and I have to give it major throttle to keep it going. Passing anyone is a joke. Fuel mileage also sucks!
I'm barely achieving the city rated mileage on the highway.

Going to have it dynoed but would like something to compare it too.

Thanks!

Link doesn't open. My 2.5 Touring doesn't feel underpowered at all and cruses very nicely at 75mph in 6th. If I pass, the AT will drop down a gear or two. Ed

Link doesn't open. My 2.5 Touring doesn't feel underpowered at all and cruses very nicely at 75mph in 6th. If I pass, the AT will drop down a gear or two. Ed

The link is fine.

I'll summarize for you.

Max power: 170 hp
Max torque: 180 ft-lbs

Isn't anyone curious about what this Racing Beat dyno chart represents? Stock exhaust? RB exhaust? Why three runs? Why three different results? There's no context here folks!

That doesn't look like a dyno based on power to the wheels, but one of the type that compensates for powertrain loss.. expect 15-25% power loss from AWD and auto vs crank.

Exactly, that's why I'm asking if anyone here has done an independent dyno of a 2.5 awd.
Although Racing Beat makes great products, their dyno is not even close to what any of us would get.

As stated, has anybody dynoed the 2.5 AWD or have a link to a test? Seriously thinking my car is way underpowered as it can barely keep itself in 6th gear at highway speeds and I have to give it major throttle to keep it going. Passing anyone is a joke. Fuel mileage also sucks!

Thanks!

That's odd because my AWD 2.5 gets the rated highway mileage at highway speed, takes off like a rocket when I floor the accelerator, and click through the detent button, and it does all this at 5k+ feet in altitude, where I have less oxygen in the air, and make less power than you do in your area.

Next time you're in your car, with it off, press the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor where it stops, and then press a bit harder in order to click the detent button.
That's the secret you probably don't know about if you don't know what the detent button is that I'm talking about.
It's also in the owner's manual.

BC.

Thanks!

You should start up a thread inviting people in your area with Mazda’s to do a dyno run. I did this years ago when I had my Toyota Tundra and about 30 other truck owners of various types and it was fun and interesting to see how they all compare. Hopefully you get someone with a Skyactiv 2.5 to come. Its also way more comparable because if its not done on the same dyno in the same conditions than the results cannot be reliably compared.

Please post the results, I'd love to see them.

Last edited:
Blade, well aware of the kick down switch. Using it is not conducive to getting rated fuel mileage obviously! :)

V8, I know others with the same model, I'm going to try the Torque App in their cars and do some test runs as the dealer thinks there is nothing wrong. When highway driving I always try the lightest throttle application possible. My car usually always shifts up by 2500.
Heck, I'm in 5th gear by 35 MPH all the time!

I've owned 4 new cars in the past 7 years, this is the first car that I could not beat rated fuel mileage. Heck, I cant even get City rated 24 in this car on the highway!

Last edited:
Blade, well aware of the kick down switch. Using it is not conducive to getting rated fuel mileage obviously! :)

V8, I know others with the same model, I'm going to try the Torque App in their cars and do some test runs as the dealer thinks there is nothing wrong. When highway driving I always try the lightest throttle application possible. My car usually always shifts up by 2500.
Heck, I'm in 5th gear by 35 MPH all the time!

I've owned 4 new cars in the past 7 years, this is the first car that I could not beat rated fuel mileage. Heck, I cant even get City rated 24 in this car on the highway!

It could be the time of year too with the winter fuel and cold temperatures I've taken a solid 15% hit in fuel mileage with highway driving. I've also noticed that the route you take makes a difference too. I can do 68 mph down the Mass Pike and back and only average 31-32 mpg going West to East and back but If I travel an interstate North South like I-84 I can average 33-35 mpg in the summer time. I dont know why that is but the numbers dont lie. Its probably due to wind direction, elevation change, and road surface condition.

Back