1st full fill to dry tank drive

DBLXX

:
CX-5
Full fill up (to the top of the filler neck) to 62 miles PAST when it initially said "0 miles to empty."

516 miles in total

Yep. I've done this to every vehicle I've ever bought within 1000 miles of new.

9 cars and 14 motorcycles.

Now I know - if I drive it relatively the same way and fill it the same way - exactly when it will die.

Yep. I've done this to every vehicle I've ever bought within 1000 miles of new.

9 cars and 14 motorcycles.

Now I know - if I drive it relatively the same way and fill it the same way - exactly when it will die.

How is your fuel pump?

Car stalled. Got out - put a gallon in and drove to the gas station.

9 cars - 14 motorcycles - 0 fuel pump issues = priceless.

People run out of gas all the time folks - doesn't mean instant death to the fuel pump :)

Full fill up (to the top of the filler neck) to 62 miles PAST when it initially said "0 miles to empty."

I think it would have been better to just browse the forums to find out how far past 0 you can go :)

I've posted before that the factory service manual states that the range indicator goes to 0 with a little under 2 gallons of fuel left in the tank.

How many gallons did it take to fill including the initial gallon you put in after it ran out?

OK -

I sputtered out and dumped in exactly 1 gallon. Then I filled it up to the very top - right to the top of the neck and it took 14.1 gallons.

It was 2.4 miles from the dead spot to the gas station.

Worse than the obvous

That can't be good for the fuel pump... But impressive tho!

Let's discount the obvious potential for trouble here! We have dirt clogging the filter...Drop the tank and repair/replace filter.
Fuel pump seizes due to lack of lubrication. Replace the filter and pump!
Dirt getting past the filter and into the engine...Ugggh!

WORSE YET! Dealer may refuse to cover work under warranty, due to neglect/misuse...(hand)
Things could really out of hand quickly. Just the possibility makes me cringe..

Good luck...hope nothing rotten happens...

The car has 712 miles on it. I'm sure the fuel filter is filled with dirt.

Buzzer - the world won't end - trust me - tomorrow will come.

And - the OBD doesn't record when you run out of fuel. The dealer will never know when the car implodes because of my horrific neglect and terrible misuse. LOL

516 miles in total
I sputtered out and dumped in exactly 1 gallon. Then I filled it up to the very top - right to the top of the neck and it took 14.1 gallons.
It was 2.4 miles from the dead spot to the gas station.
I don't remember you have a Touring or GT, FWD or AWD? If you have a FWD with 14.8 gallons of fuel tank capacity, it doesn't add up, as you almost filled 15.1 gallons. If you have AWD with 15.3 gallons then it makes sense but your 34.2 MPG (516/15.1) for an AWD seems impossible.

I was surprised to see someone will do this exact test like I'd done to many cars I've owned. They are good information to know and share. Now I don't have to plan on this test to my CX-5 and risking fuel pump issue like many people believe... (whistle)

Yea, the dealer network is all over this forum.

Double LOL

Come on guys - take a deep breath. I didn't sleep with your wives. :)

The drive route was relatively flat, no wind today, a little rain (about 20 minutes)

Drove 58MPH on cruise the WHOLE WAY - non stop - no traffic.

Took 2 breaks - no passing (maybe 1 or 2 trucks) - AC on - windows closed.

Let's discount the obvious potential for trouble here! We have dirt clogging the filter...Drop the tank and repair/replace filter.
Fuel pump seizes due to lack of lubrication. Replace the filter and pump!
Dirt getting past the filter and into the engine...Ugggh!

Dirt can't get past the fuel filter in a modern fuel injected system unless it's smaller "dirt" than the filter is rated to remove. At that point it is fine enough that it won't cause an issue.

The OP said:

Car stalled. Got out - put a gallon in and drove to the gas station.

9 cars - 14 motorcycles - 0 fuel pump issues = priceless.

This is more evidence that the world won't end if you run out of fuel. While it's good practice not to run systems dry, it would be relatively rare for it to actually cause a problem.

Unlike some of my older cars (pre-fuel injection) the CX5 didn't even need to crank over. It sounded like it always does when I start it. Lit right up.

PS - I do this once when it's new. I've never actually run out of gas by accident. Ever.

GT - AWD
I'm not trying to make sense of the #'s - just reporting them.
Whoa, you're getting 34.2 MPG on a brand new CX-5 GT AWD! How did you do it? Unobtanium definitely will be very jealous! ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about fuel pump burned or fuel filter clogged because of one-time fuel ran-out. The engineers are not stupid and they always have some safety factor build-in. If one of the fuel pumps burned due to lack of cooling for this, I can only say the quality of failed fuel pump is very poor and it should be covered under warranty. The fuel pump inlet inside of fuel tank have some height from bottom of the tank, and I just can't see how those dirt, if any on a brand new car, sitting on the bottom of the tank, will get sucked into the fuel pump.

Back