Any photographers in here?

That Mg34 shot is pure win. I posted it on a WWII game forum I'm on, if you don't mind.

Photo credit is given, of course

Great shots CWP! I would recommend the 70-300 VR over the 18-200, but honestly the latter is basically a jack-of all trades lens. If you are going to bother switching your lenses, I would pick almost anything over that guy. Supposedly the 55-200 VR is pretty nice, and it's dirt cheap.

thanks guys, those are from a WW2 reenactment last weekend in Rockford IL. I've got more, just havent had time for post processing. I'm still trying to get the shots done from the wedding I was at the previous weekend.

flyin, i dont mind at all, that was probably the best shot of the lot, im excited it turned out so well. what game is it?

roy, id love that 70-300 VR, the cheapest ive found it refurbished (adorama) is still $1700. most pictures i take are up close or using the wide side of my kit lens so it was a bit odd getting used to starting between 70-80mm. a lot of instances i just couldnt get any further back from the subject.

I think you mean the 70-200 VR...the 70-300 VR is a $500ish lens. It's not a fast pro lens, but the reach is nice; as long as there is plenty of light it makes great shots. If you don't mind not having the VR, there is the 80-200 that can be had for 700-1100(it is a 2.8). Not sure I would go for it, as I love VR/IS on long lenses.

yes sorry i was referring to the 70-200 f2.8 vr which is rather expensive. the 80-200 ED f2.8 was what those pictures were taken with, it was a nice fast lens compared to my kit lens. as i have not had much experience with vr lenses and only got to use that for a few shots i didnt get to take much advantage of the VR. I will look into the 70-300 VR, thanks for the tip.

Awesome WWII shots! I like all of them, especially the last one!

I have a new recipe how to f**k up a photo...
Go out with a half used battery and forget your spare one, forget CPL filter, shoot with wrong quality settings and then when you've been waiting for about 20 or so minutes for clouds to move so a little sun shines through, your battery says empty and with last shot you miss focus, battery goes dead of course :D
Also did I mention that my computer hard drive went dead when I came home and finished editing the photos? His last word were "clang" :D

Saved this one, but it's still no good as it could have been.

5032637501_5c8658aba3_z.jpg

On a side note - Didnt think that it's gonna take me this fast, less than a year and half when I stared being more interested in photography and about 9 months since I bought this camera, to find myself looking for a dSLR, since I'm wanting (needing?) more from a camera. I'm very satisfied how much I learned in such a short while with a lot of help from you guys.
Now I have to make more effort on learning how to properly edit photos and to get a decent monitor and calibrate it.

Last edited:
A good set of lenses would be the
10-24mm to cover the wide
50mm f/1.4 for low light
And 18-200mm vr for zoom

Every other focal range isn't really needed. You can just move back and forth
For problem areas there's always a camera setting that can fix it. A nice tripod could also help and a decent flash for other photos.

My hobby kit contains
D5000
A 10.5mm fisheye
12-24mm
18-55 kit lens
35mm f/1.8
85mm micro
70-300mm vr
Sb-600 flash
and a walmart tripod

Got just about all the coverage I need
I'm no pro so I don't need $2000 lenses but would love to have some :)

Look at how much stuff you have to carry in your "kit"

Plus it also depends on what you shoot and what you plan on shooting later.
I can't afford to be missing shots or having slow shutter speeds at a wedding or event. Especially when flash use is limited. Can't have blurry pictures or super noisy pictures either. Like I said before, I carry a 24-70 and a 70-200 for weddings and that's what I have used almost purely. They let enough light in so that I dont' have to go crazy with the ISO and gives me enough of a shutter speed to capture that moment. At the receptions I usually don't worry about it since I use external strobes as fill light to light up the rooms so I can shoot low iso, and higher shutter speeds.

As for my photoshoots with models, I like using the 24-70 and my 50mm. With the super creamy bokeh, I'll use the 70-200 for compression.

vocko, that sure does sound like a recipe for disaster. i keep forgetting my CPL filter as well

that 27-70 lens does look awesome, im noticing that all the canon lenses are significantly cheaper than the nikon versions...

Look at how much stuff you have to carry in your "kit"

Plus it also depends on what you shoot and what you plan on shooting later.
I can't afford to be missing shots or having slow shutter speeds at a wedding or event. Especially when flash use is limited. Can't have blurry pictures or super noisy pictures either. Like I said before, I carry a 24-70 and a 70-200 for weddings and that's what I have used almost purely. They let enough light in so that I dont' have to go crazy with the ISO and gives me enough of a shutter speed to capture that moment. At the receptions I usually don't worry about it since I use external strobes as fill light to light up the rooms so I can shoot low iso, and higher shutter speeds.

As for my photoshoots with models, I like using the 24-70 and my 50mm. With the super creamy bokeh, I'll use the 70-200 for compression.

for you i can understand why carrying as less a possible best suits your needs... you are always moving and can't afford to be changing lenses just because you feel like it... you have to be ready for "that" shot at all times... in your case i would have to bodies with each lens attached to it... to some practice shots prior to adjust camera settings... and just shoot away... anytime i do people shots i take 100's if not 1000's of shots then weed them out later

i shoot photographs for myself... i don't do it for anyone... it's my hobby and i make $0 income from it
i prefer to have it all on me because i do it for fun and that's exactly what it is.
the macro photography is my favorite and most challenging
the wide angle is my favorite for auto's
the fisheye is just a specialty lens that i haven't quite gotten the hang of yet
but the lens that's get's the most action is my 70-300mm... it's my walk around lens
each lens has it's purpose and i try to use them all... i'm into trying all types of photography and not just stuck to one type

hehe i also carry some extra stuff... a spray bottle to shoot down flowers... i make my own rain
a large plastic bag just incase it rains...
a microfiber towel to keep the camera dry...
filters, lens cleaner, etc.... though i do need a rocket blower too...

I will look into the 70-300 VR, thanks for the tip.

i've used both the 18-200mm vr and the 70-300mm vr (which is my most used lens)
i would much prefer the 18-200mm vr... it is supposed to be a better lens...
the only reason i got the 70-300mm vr is because i bought my gf a camera and i got $200 off of the 70-300 and i couldn't justify spending and extra $400 for the 18-200mm... but if you really need that extra 100mm reach then go for the 70-300mm because is is a noticeable difference in reach... but if you want a better quality lens the 18-200mm is better

Last edited:
Can't agree with you more.

808, how do you like the 85mm micro? I have been eyeing that one up for a while now.

I'm loving it. Its the funnest lens i have. And you cant really go wrong with it. Was either that or the 105mm micro. But the 85mm is nearly half the price. Plus I've read about the focus breathing problem with the 105mm but that's with auto focus. If your using it for macro then it shouldn't be an issue since you'll be using manual focus. If I could afford the 105mm then I would have gotten that one. But if I really had the money I would shoot for the 200mm micro.

I've also bee looking at the sigma 180mm macro as an option for upgrade. The higher focal range macro lenses has more working distance which would come in handy when working with skittish bugs.

Here are some shots from the AMA races last weekend Enjoy!

ETR_3458 by Earl Reagan, on Flickr

ETR_2647 by Earl Reagan, on Flickr

ETR_3486 by Earl Reagan, on Flickr

There are a few more if you follow the link to one of the photos

Nice clean shots. A little more motion blur would make it look better. A Tad slower shutter speed probably would have gotten that blur that most try to achieve. I myself haven't tried shooting moving vehicles except some airplanes and jets at an air show and I found it quite difficult panning at the same speed as some of those planes.

Last edited:
there must be a fine line between too fast and too slow for pictures like that. i usually get either no motion blur at all or half my subject is blurry and the rest isnt.

is it because in this case they are in different depths?
for example:

DSC_9538.jpg

DSC_9540.jpg

DSC_9629.jpg

That could be the case. I honestly don't know and couldn't tell you. Are you just snapping one shot as the bike passes by? Or taking multiple shots? I would try doing a bunch of rapid shots if your camera can ^do it. My nikon shoots 4fps when I set the shutter to ^do so. You could also try setting your aperture a little smaller to get more dof. Seriously I'm just a beginner. My reading on photography and the amount of practice I get is just about even.

Do you guys think my rebel 2000 (film camera) could take better pics than my Sony H20? ive been wanting to try out my old camera for awhile now, i just want to know if its worth it.

Last edited:
flyin, i dont mind at all, that was probably the best shot of the lot, im excited it turned out so well. what game is it?

Its called Battleground Europe. Its a P2P MMORPG that takes place in 1939-1942 Europe. Its pretty badass and VERY addictive. Check it out if you have nothing else to do, I know they have a 2-week trial and are considering free rifleman accounts. If you play allies, look for me - "Sport20"

www.battlegroundeurope.com

Since you guys are kind of on the subject of motion blur, I thought I'd add my two cents: IT'S HARD! Just fiddle with aperture high/low and shutter speed until it turns out. It took three trips to MidOhio to get these pics right with my Canon XS and Tamron 70-300 lens (a cheap, $100 lens). Let me know what you think! I'm in the same boat as the above people, I think--either not enough motion or the picture is out of focus.

MidOhio_8_14_2010063 by JRI Photography, on Flickr

MidOhio_8_14_2010032 by JRI Photography, on Flickr

Back