Another Transaxle Noise Question

Last week I had my Mazda dealer change the transaxle oil at the 30,000 mile service. Since then the shift action is very stiff at low ambient temperatures until the transaxle has warmed up. I can live with that, but I'm also getting a moderately loud low-pitched whining sound when making tight turns at lower speed. It happens hot or cold, but I think it sounds louder once the transaxle has warmed up. Even my wife notices it. It sounds like a bad PS pump but the pump is fine. I'm thinking that the dealer installed the GL-5 oil that the regular Mazda 3 gets instead of the GL-4 that the MS3 uses, and the LSD is noisy as a result. Any other thoughts?

Funny you should ask this.
When I first got my Speed, I asked the service manager what kind of oil got put in these trannies when they needed servicing.
His response was any gear oil they happened to have around at the time was what they used.
Guess what - that answer wasn't good enough.
My car had the cold weather 1-2 shift grind so I went to MT90. The car didn't shift worth damn with that oil, cold or hot.
Next up was MTL, which is quite a bit thinner and shifting was improved but every now and then, here comes that grind.
I finally tried Ford part # XT-M5- QS which is made by Ford in Germany, is the correct weight, was developed to cure difficult shifting transaxles and suitable for lifetime fill (according to them). It is full synthetic and has an additive package from hell.
It is Ford / Motorcraft's finest transaxle oil. It is fully approved by them and is also warranty approved.
It also is expensive - I paid $19 and change per quart but it is well worth it. It worked wonders in my transmission; your results may vary, but I doubt it; it should address your concerns nicely.
From here on, ANY transmission that I have that requires a 75w90 GL4 oil will get the XT-M5-QS by default - probably be cheaper in the long run.
Also my transaxle has no noise at all. Ever.
Hope this helps! Cheers.

Thanks! I forgot to mention that I also experienced the 1-2 grind when cold; something that never happened previously. The price of the XT-M5- QS doesn't bother me, as I have to run a Jeep lubricant that's just as expensive in my 1999 Wrangler's gearbox. It's just a bit of a PITA to have to change it out again...

Back