An option for those looking for a switchblade remote keyfob

no,no, don't get me wrong- I DO really like the OP one. I just didn't know if you had seen the 323 one since I only saw it when browsing the locksmithdotme site. Point taken about the ebayish quality.

Fedex tracking says mine should be in my hands tommorrow but status says in transit from someplace in Hong Kong...not sure how they'll pull that off unless they throw it out of the plane flying over into my back "yard" aka field, lol.

I agree, it looks hella cheap, but I haven't put the buy through yet... I have to assume the key for the 323 would be the same, so it 'should' work.. emblem on the back is clearly a half-ass ripoff of mazda's rendering.
also, that doesn't look anything like the other website, and the link doesn't come close to matching... if you like I can refund you and we can go back to a 4 person buy... all payments are in and I'll be running the purchase tomorrow.

also just to note, I'm drilling for the panic button, this new option doesn't look like it would lend itself well to that.

Just a word of caution for folks who are thinking about drilling for the panic button. Because the button won't be recessed at all, it'll be easy to hit, especially when you're turning the car on or pulling the key out of the ignition. The first few times I used the key I kept accidentally locking my car as I pulled the key out of the ignition, then I realized that I wasn't likely to accidentally hit the buttons if I put the key into the ignition with the buttons facing me. I got used to it after a few days of using the car, but I'm awfully glad the panic button wasn't there.

By the way, the key still works well and for me it's a heck of a lot better than the separate key and fob that I used to have. I've heard that the key you can get on eBay feels cheap, this feels pretty solid to me (so far).

order placed... 5 keys, processing time said 5 days.

edit: doesn't look like my screen print works...

reedit: thats better....

Attachments

• order.jpg
    order.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Yeah, got mine this a.m......Somethin to piddle with later after work(besides the wife, lol) Guess I'll try to see about hittin the Mazda dealer in a.m. to get key cut. Wonder if it'll be free......skeptical, but who knows.

yeah, let me know on getting that cut. I was thinkin about that.

also, anybody doing this, I suggest going out to pick up a CR2025 watch battery while you've got it ripped open.

Anybody know if you have to reprogram after changing the battery?

hey, what happened to wagonbacker9?? I tried to change my name here once, wouldn't let me- guess you got to be admin., huh? Anyhoo, was 5 days shipping time or just order processing time? And I guess the key cutting cost depends on your relationship with your stealership. Maybe I'll take mine in for an oil change and get the key done at the same time.

the admin changed it for me... and it wasn't by request. lol I was cocking off to evilmonkeyMSP in the mod section and this is my punishment. lol

I bought a key from the dealer, cut off of the vin, and it was uber cheap... like 6 bucks I think. so either way, I don't care...

Yeah, got mine this a.m......Somethin to piddle with later after work(besides the wife, lol) Guess I'll try to see about hittin the Mazda dealer in a.m. to get key cut. Wonder if it'll be free......skeptical, but who knows.

The dealership cut both of my keys for free, I read reviews of the local dealerships and picked the one with the best reviews... so maybe they're a particularly good dealership. If the dealership won't cut it for you for free I'd just as soon go to a locksmith and get it cut for $2.00 (but not the key cutting kiosk at Lowe's or Home Depot).

yeah, let me know on getting that cut. I was thinkin about that.

also, anybody doing this, I suggest going out to pick up a CR2025 watch battery while you've got it ripped open.

Anybody know if you have to reprogram after changing the battery?
Can't remember about reprogramming but I have how-to in my pile of docs for the car.

The dealership cut both of my keys for free, I read reviews of the local dealerships and picked the one with the best reviews... so maybe they're a particularly good dealership. If the dealership won't cut it for you for free I'd just as soon go to a locksmith and get it cut for $2.00 (but not the key cutting kiosk at Lowe's or Home Depot).
I won't be doing Lowe's or Home Depot, I will pay the effin dealer if it comes to that.....

the admin changed it for me... and it wasn't by request. lol I was cocking off to evilmonkeyMSP in the mod section and this is my punishment. lol

I bought a key from the dealer, cut off of the vin, and it was uber cheap... like 6 bucks I think. so either way, I don't care...

Ahhh, ok. What do you mean cut off of the vin? I heard (for here in B.C., anyway) because of high car theft numbers, you had to get it done at the dealership with that little security tag that comes with your original car key(s)? I think people were breaking into cars, taking the registration papers, then going to a dealership and getting a key cut with papers in hand.

I got a key cut with the VIN of the car... I had the title and photo ID in hand. I did it because I had locked my only key in the car and getting a key cut was cheaper than a locksmith, plus now I have a spare.

I just picked up a spare remote on ebay for cheap if someone wants an extra, I could be made to part with it for a reasonable price.... otherwise I'll be happy to keep it.

I've replaced the battery a couple of times and the remote has worked without any reprogramming, though the battery wasn't out for long. I normally go to Ace Hardware to get keys made (they have a 100% guarantee) but with this I might take it to the dealership seeing as I don't exactly have an extra blank if it gets screwed up.

Vin Cut > Hardware Store...always. I'm going that route fo sho.

and Wagonbacker...thanks for making this happen!

Last edited:
^^^^^Yes!Yes! what he said- thanks so much for making this happen Wagonbacker(idi0t??). Woot woot!!
Now back to the panic button- I wonder if it would look crappy to grind/polish down the bottom edge of it. I don't know, I've never used it but would hate to get rid of it then actually need it one day.

i was thinking the same thing... when i do it I'll try trimming it down first, if it looks OK I'll go with it, otherwise I'll just remove it.

and really, you guys don't have to thank me. I'm saving you like $5... its not that big of a deal.

Dear Carl,

Just got this email after sending a followup earlier today.

Full shipment of order 1000004169 has been made. You can track your order using UPS tracking number H8130160264. Delivery must be confirmed within 30 days receipt. If you do not receive your shipment or are not satisfied, please submit a refund request.

Alibaba.com
25 Jan 2010 18:59

Last edited:
When you get them, look at the back edge of where the guts go in the new shell on the end where the panic button is, how it starts to slope slightly which makes the panic button sit a bit angled compared to the other 2 when all put together. This is why it is easier to hit accidentally IMO. Trimming to fit is basically a no go from what I see. There isn't really a way to trim the button without just grinding it down thinner. If you do grind it down, do it at angle when the top will be flat when installed in the shell. Cutting the "skin" that all the buttons are attached to would seem to leave part of the circuit board unprotected by cutting the button off but will work. Another thing, that I don't really have much faith in is the mounting spot for the ring for key ring attachment. It is just 2 slots in the end of the plastic shell. The middle part that keeps the ring in place seems breakable which much bad folding action of putting it in & taking it out of your pocket. Also the way it snaps together is what keeps the ring from coming out of the shell by the force of the keys being bent to go in pocket, popping that end of the shell apart. I'm not attaching other keys on mine. On an "interesting" side note...the guy at the parts place wanted to try to influence me to have the techs reprogram the "chip" in the key after cutting it. I laughed & said no thanks it doesn't have a chip. He insisted it did, so I asked again that he just cut the key & I'll just hack your system when I get back home & reprogram it myself. I made a scewy face when he wanted to reprogram the key & he made the same screwy face when I told him I'll just hack your system. Needless to say, the key worked just fine without any further "reprogramming".

On a math note, another oem fob off ebay for 20.00 or less after you ruin it by cutting the panic button off the skin is cheaper than ruining the sw blade shell drilling the panic button hole just to find out youd rather have it without the panic button, lol. I suggest trying it without the panic button then if you must have the panic button, then get another oem fob off ebay.

On a math note, another oem fob off ebay for 20.00 or less after you ruin it by cutting the panic button off the skin is cheaper than ruining the sw blade shell drilling the panic button hole just to find out youd rather have it without the panic button, lol. I suggest trying it without the panic button then if you must have the panic button, then get another oem fob off ebay.

and as I said, I picked one of these up, which is available... I got it for $12 shipped, and bought it mostly because I had $6 ebay bucks expiring. lol

Back