amp mount

sam1

:
2002.5 protege
alright guys, ive been throwin around this idea for a while and ive got some ideas to make it work, but i dont know. figured id get some input. i want my amp to sit level about 6" underneath my rear deck when the trunks closed. but when it opens, i want it to kinda fold down at about a 45degree angle so that you can see the top of the amp. also, i dont want it motorized. i want it to be all mechanical. what do you guys think? how the hell can i do it easily? ive got an idea for one option, but its pretty elaborate and would be tough to fabricate.

The only thing that immediately comes to my mind would be a cable-system. suning BIcycle brake cables mostly. I'd attach it to likely one of the hang-down hinges. You could then use either pulleys, or preferably bicycle cable housingto route it to where you would need in order to get the right angle of pull. It'd be a good idea to have a pretty healthy spring "fighting" the cable...

Better yet, I would look into getting ahold of a couple of really small hydraulic springs (similar to the ones used to hold open a hatch in a hatchback) preferably some weak small ones. This would ideally give you a slow, well-dampened presentation. Though a simple bike cable trying to pull it closed would likely brake. You could possibly use the cable to actuate a release mechanism, and then manually re-set the amp rack...

Linkages. I'm dying to use my ME degree, since I'm currently out of work! ha! The hydralics are actually the way to do it, but to get it go go back and forth, you're gonna need a system that'll work with the trunk opening and closing. It could be real simple, just gears and bars and stuff. It'll cost money to fab up, though. The cleanest, nicest, most reliable and often simplest options cost you the most.

Just some comments...

Bicycle cables will not work...the amp will bounce up and down with every bump on the road and I don't think they can handle the weight.

Connecting rods and gears to the rear hatch will weigh it down...and they will get in the way when you open the hatch

I'm not sure what your goal is. If you are trying to save space, you've got to remember that the amp rack will compact anything under it as soon as you open the hatch. If you're going for the 'wow' effect, motorized actuators will do that fine so why are you ruling them out?

Back